School Board adds 13th grade

Lyla Rivera and Alan Lopez

Did you know 13th grade is being added to public high schools?

After a senior year in high school students will move on to 13th grade, their super senior year. The school board plans to make the school days longer, as this will help improve students learning skills and help raise their grades. Instead of graduating in 12th grade, students will have to finish 13th grade to receive their diploma. This will also help prepare for college and will jump students from high school to a sophomore in college. This will be taken into effect as of 2020.

“Its great students will be able to earn more credits and they will be more prepared for the Accuplacer test,” Journalism teacher Kent Frankfother said.

Certain students think adding another year to high school will bring benefits

“It’s better to have 13th grade so that way we’re ready and prepared for college,” senior Pedro Zuniga said.

Although some students agree with the idea of adding an extra year others are mad about it

“I think it’s a really stupid idea since we’re just about to graduate and receive our diplomas,” senior Alan Lopez said.

DISCLAIMER:  This MortONION article is entirely fabricated — false.  Be careful of FAKE NEWS!  Don’t spread lies.

28 Responses to “School Board adds 13th grade”

1. Demetrio Bustamante on April 22nd, 2019 9:27 am

I found believable how some students liked the idea and others didn’t because I know one would have a lot of views on this topic and if it were to be true it would cause turmoil. One thing that was questionable was how they only included a JOURNALISM teacher’s opinion when a superintendent or someone more known/credible could’ve been better “evidence”. I wouldn’t believe the article because it was too short and it lacked a lot of information to make me start thinking oh they’re really going to add another grade.

2. Andrea Zambrano on April 22nd, 2019 9:29 am

Very good article! One thing I found believable would be that maybe if we did have another year they could help us train more on the Accuplacer test and helps us get more prepared for college that’s believable. One thing I found questionable would be that after this year we would start off college a sophomore, it’s always been known that your first year of college is your freshman year so I don’t know how that would work. If I didn’t know this was fake I probably wouldn’t have believed it because it just doesn’t seem credible enough that after so many years of school they would add another year to high school.

3. Diego Rivera on April 22nd, 2019 9:30 am

I wouldn’t be surprised that schools would add 13th grade because of the school system and how it works. I found, “Certain students think adding another year to high school will bring benefits”, questionable because this would be a huge misunderstanding for many parents and students.
    I would hardly believe this because it would be viral and disclaimer.

4. Consuelo Cuevas on April 22nd, 2019 9:36 am

I would’ve believe that the schoold would want to add a 13th year to the school year but i dont think they can. The school has been running on 12 years and its the norm now so adding more years to it would make it more of a challenge and if the teachers cared they wouldn’t want to keep the students in school for longer. It also wouldn’t be fare for the students that are just entering high school. Although there is a disclaimer i dont think that its true either way.

5. Lexis Matos on April 22nd, 2019 9:37 am

Good article! One thing I found believable about this article is that adding that 13th year would allow us to be more prepared for the Accuplacer test. However one thing I did find questionable was why after all these years would they add a 13th year. If some shared this article on social media I would not believe this because it is really not that believable.

6. Jairo Samudio on April 22nd, 2019 9:38 am

One thing I find believable is nothing. One thing I find questionable is that it can be a benefit for one more year of high school because we will be prepared for college.

7. Jairo Samudio on April 22nd, 2019 9:40 am

One thing I find believable is nothing. One thing I find questionable is that it can be a benefit for one more year of high school because we will be prepared for college. No I wouldn’t of believed it because we already do 12 years of school to prepare for college

8. Javier hernandez on April 22nd, 2019 9:57 am

I found it believable that it would help students wiith learning skills and college. The 13th grade was questionable “super seniors”. I wouldnt believe this article because you would see on tv news and more on social media.

9. Lissette Melgoza on April 22nd, 2019 10:27 am

One thing that I found believable was the reason about why they will make a 13rth grade. The reason seems to be credible because adding another grade would help students feel more prepare to take the accuplacer test. One thing that I find questionable is that it was a school board decision, I think it would be a decision that someone else should take such as the state education board. In addition, I don’t think I would believe it because I would need more facts than the ones provided in this article.

10. Brayan Gonzalez on April 22nd, 2019 10:30 am

I found believable how some students liked the idea and others didn’t because I know one would have a lot of views on this topic and if it were to be true it would cause turmoil. One thing that was questionable was how they only included one source when a superintendent or someone more known/credible could’ve been better “evidence”. I wouldn’t believe the article because it was too short and it lacked a lot of information to make it seem reliable, the reasons why they are adding a 13th grade, another thing I found believable about this article is that adding that 13th year would allow us to be more prepared for the Accuplacer test.

11. Noe Pozos on April 22nd, 2019 10:33 am

I don’t find this believable why make an extra grade and jump to sophomore year of college yeah it saves you money but its not necessary many students are getting big scholarships, this article is very fake theirs a lot of work to add another grade for public schools

12. Vincent Roman on April 22nd, 2019 10:35 am

I found this sorta believable since we have a good amount of senior pluses’ at Morton. What i did question is how i haven’t heard this like on local news or why we never had an assembly to talk about this. If a friend shared this i wouldn’t believe it since it seems so out of the ordinary and irrelevant to add another year of high school.

13. Stephanie Barajas on April 22nd, 2019 10:35 am

I found it believable how they mentioned that the school board was planning on adding it. What I found questionable was that they didn’t add no quotes or evidence that the school board was actually talking about it. I wouldnt believed it because it would’ve been all over the news and the school should’ve let us know they were thinking about it.

14. Sebastian on April 22nd, 2019 11:10 am

13th grade could be more helpful because gives more time for students work there classes for more credits and spend more time in school.

15. Cristian Molina on April 22nd, 2019 11:28 am

This article doesn’t sound too realistic because adding another grade to Morton would be something huge and it would gain a lot of attention. Also adding another year of high school would be way too confusing and students would be tired of school. Lastly they didn’t have any major sources confirming that another Year of high school was being added.

16. Jose Moctezuma on April 22nd, 2019 11:38 am

This is fake reasons is this isn’t a good idea “I think it’s a really stupid idea since we’re just about to graduate and receive our diplomas,” senior Alan Lopez said.

17. Destiny Alonso on April 22nd, 2019 11:38 am

One thing I found believe able was the adding a 13th grade level due to “school board plans”. One thing that is questionable is that why would they use a Journalism teacher response and not a head supervisor of the school? I would believe this if it was real because of the effected date they provided.

18. Raul on April 22nd, 2019 11:40 am

I didnt find anything believable what i find questionable is that why add the 13th grade now i wouldnt have believed this because it doesnt make sense

19. Geovanni Alvarez on April 22nd, 2019 11:44 am

A 5th year of high school, is not reasonable. There is no need for it because it takes a step back away from college, and adds more money and time that is not necessary. Unless the 5th year would count towards a college year.

20. Eduardo Chagoya on April 22nd, 2019 11:46 am

i found this believable since we have a good amount of senior pluses’ at Morton.I find questionable is that it can be a benefit for one more year of high school because we will be prepared for college.

21. Eduardo Ramirez on April 22nd, 2019 11:47 am

I found this believable since we have senior pluses at Morton. I did find questionable why i haven’t heard this on the local news. If someone shared shared this i wouldn’t believe this.

22. Brenda Gutierrez on April 22nd, 2019 11:50 am

I found this believable to the fact that they want to add another extra year on the year 2020, but i also find this questionable because why would they want to add another year when were about to graduate. I would have believed this if it was from a dean or the principal saying it for real.

23. Clarissa Marroquin on April 22nd, 2019 11:55 am

One thing i found believable was that this will help students improve their skills and learning abilities. One thing this questionable is that what is that they are planning to make the school days longer. there are other ways for students to improve their skills other then adding a 13th grade. i wouldn’t believe this if it was posted online because i feel like a 13th grade just wouldn’t happen, at least not at Morton.

24. Esmeralda Morales 3rd Hr on April 22nd, 2019 4:21 pm

One thing that is believable is that they got a teacher to add a quote to the article. A questionable thing the idea that they gonna add one grade to high school and take one away from college. It makes no sense because its kind of the same thing. I would believe it at first but after reading the article I would actually change my mind about it.

25. Bryan Valle on April 23rd, 2019 9:29 am

I found that having frankfother making a quote to this article to be believable. I question why they would add another grade for us, makes no sense. I would believe it more if it was posted by the a real news source

26. Lizahirat Molina on April 23rd, 2019 11:38 am

I didn’ t really find this article believable because I doubt this new idea would affect graduating seniors. It’s almost as if I brushed off what was said. I questioned weather if we stayed more year we would go in as sophmores into college because that would actually be a good idea. It would be a good idea because it would help a student save a lot of money. If I were to see this article I wouldnt believe it unless it was actually announced in school.

27. Andre Olvera on April 24th, 2019 8:59 am

One thing I found believable was the fact that it can help us prepare for the accuplacer test and college in general. One thing I didn’t found believable was the fact that after 13th grade we will jump into sophomore year of college, which would be the same as freshmen year in college.I would definitely not believe this article.

28. Danny Angulo on April 24th, 2019 10:24 pm

So what I just read is unbelievable. If this was actually in implemented for real, I believe a lot of chaos would occur. I don’t believe this a bit, because otherwise, more reliable sources would have been speaking about this.

School Board adds 13th grade