Drug test required to attend prom

April Bautista and Angel Mendez

Students will have to pass a drug test to attend prom this year 

In a recent study done by NDA (National Drug Association) 53% of teens have reported that they have taken illegal drugs. More high school seniors smoke marijuana than smoke cigarettes and 12th graders who smoke marijuana are 65% more likely to crash their car. Among 12th graders in the U.S., one out of eight drove after smoking marijuana at some point in the last two weeks. The consequences of addiction include brain abnormalities, slowed thinking and impaired learning and memory. It can also deplete the brain of certain chemicals like dopamine and serotonin, sending high schoolers into a prolonged depression and leaving them susceptible to more destructive behaviors. These facts lead Morton High School to have a mandatory drug test for students who are planning on attending prom.  

“I was planning on going to prom but after I heard of the drug test, I changed my mind.” senior Heriberto Delgado said.  

Nevertheless, some students still don’t mind it. 

“The drug test didn’t really change my mind,” senior Angel Mendez said.  

Although, this decision will affect students the most, teachers still have something to say. 

“I’m glad to see them cracking down on substance abuse. I know that when I was in charge of prom, we had to prohibit a couple on intoxicated students from entering” English teacher Kent Frankfother said.  

DISCLAIMER:  This MortONION article is entirely fabricated — false.  Be careful of FAKE NEWS!  Don’t spread lies. 

7 Responses to “Drug test required to attend prom”

1. Erik Gonzalez on April 22nd, 2019 9:28 am

i believe the percentage of kids taking drugs its really high. what if students don’t go to prom because they would have to be tested? I would believe it because majority of teens have consume some type of drug during school times.

2. Andrea Zambrano on April 22nd, 2019 9:36 am

Very good article! One thing I found believable about this article is that there will be some kids that won’t want to go to prom because of this drug testing. One thing I found questionable would be that all those stuff that marijuana can cause like depression and stuff like that doesn’t seem so believable. If I were to see this somewhere else I probably might’ve thought it was real because maybe Morton would do this because they don’t want students coming into a school related event high or anything like that.

3. Juliana Rodriguez on April 22nd, 2019 9:39 am

The mention of the National Drug association made the article believable. I just found it questionable that there was an “ad” on how to pass any hair drug test. If this was shared by someone I wouldn’t believe it because an uproar would be caused by half the school.

4. zuemy santiago on April 22nd, 2019 10:37 am

i would find this believable do to the fact that this school has been having problems with kids using drugs. one this that i find questionable was how would they do that there is so many students that go to prom and it takes time for the test results to come back. i would some what believe this because of the problem we have been having with drugs in this school.

5. Jessica Flores on April 22nd, 2019 12:23 pm

This article gives information and facts that makes it look very realistic “The consequences of addiction include brain abnormalities, slowed thinking and impaired learning and memory”. One thing that seemed off was the tittle of the article, which isn’t believable because I’ve never heard of any high school that would require a drug test in order to go to prom. If i saw someone shared this article, i would real it but still know its fake all along.

6. Adamary Avila on April 22nd, 2019 10:24 pm

What i found believable in this article was some students not wanting to attend prom because of the drug testing. One thing i found questionable is how can they even do this to every single student if theres a lot of seniors that are going to attend prom. I would believe this article if i read the headline but as i read more i would know its fake.

7. Paulina Martinez on May 6th, 2019 10:15 am

The one thing that was believable in this article is the information it gave about teens and drug use. What was questionable is the fact that students have to get drug tested in order to attend prom because I believe that’s a little extreme and expensive to do. If I saw this article without knowing it was fake I would still believe this was fake.

Drug test required to attend prom