District 201 will be extending school hours

Jessica Fajardo, Reporter

The district 201 will be adding 7th period by next year extending school until 4:15 p.m. by August 2019.

After a couple of meetings, the school district came to the conclusion that it is necessary to extend the school hours. They think the students can only benefit from this and increase their knowledge. Adding an extra period will mean students have the opportunity to take an extra elective of their own choice. According to a study from the College Board of education, students who take more classes while in high school perform better in college and are more likely to pursue a degree. In a random survey of 120 Morton East students, 107 students reported that they do not want the school hours to be extended.

“An extra hour will mean more homework, more stress, less going out, and less free time. As a senior I am glad I’ll graduate next month and don’t have to do deal with this anymore,” senior Natally Rodriguez said.

This new upcoming schedule has both its pros and cons. Many students will be upset while others like the class of 2019 will be proud to leave school this May.

“I have mixed feelings about this because this will mean an extra hour dealing with students, but this also means a fatter paycheck to spend it on the weekend,” journalism teacher Mr. Frankfother said.

ATTENTION TEACHERS the districted stated that the last extra hour will be paid double because it’s considered as overtime. While this is good news for teachers, the students

“I think is a really bad decision from the school district they are not thinking that the students have a life outside of school. This extra hour can negatively affect students because there are students who are in clubs, sports, and have a job,” junior Esmeralda Villa said.

DISCLAIMER:  This MortONION article is entirely fabricated — false.  Be careful of FAKE NEWS!  Don’t spread lies.