Backpack searches to begin next year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Backpack searches to begin next year

With the school year coming to an end and a new one quickly approaching, school administrators have started taking some initiative to make the school a safer environment for students.  

Plans for the upcoming school year include backpack searches for every student entering the school building in the mornings. Administrators have felt the need to pursue such drastic measures because of the number of illegal substances found within the students’ belongings. Whether it be marijuana or vape pens, administrators would like to prevent these types of mind-altering substances in what is supposed to be a safe learning environment. By checking backpacks, administrators believe that it will discourage students from bringing such substances considering they would now have a much harder time hiding such things.  

“I feel like the backpack checks will help make the school a more beneficial place to learn. For the students who feel like they need some sort of mind-altering substance to get through the school day shouldn’t go to school, to begin with. If you can’t focus for a couple of hours without taking drugs you don’t deserve the education being provided to you”, Senior Joseph stated.  

Other students disagree with the backpack searches and feel like the school administration is taking far too drastic of measures to ensure safety.  

“I think the backpack checks are an invasion of privacy. My parents don’t even go through my things, why should my deans or principals be allowed to?”, an anonymous student said.  

It is clear many students feel that backpack checks may be too rigorous, and some teachers agree.  

“We expect our students to come to school ready and eager to learn every day, not to be searched before class has even started. I understand that drastic measures need to be taken but invading a student’s privacy by going through their personal belongings doesn’t seem like the right option”, an anonymous teacher stated.  

The mixed feelings about the backpack checks have cause administration to ponder on whether the decision should be reversed for the second semester of the school year to come. The administration still plans on conducting the searches for the first semester to see whether it will have a good or bad impact on the students and the school.  

DISCLAIMER:  This MortONION article is entirely fabricated — false.  Be careful of FAKE NEWS!  Don’t spread lies. 

16 Responses to “Backpack searches to begin next year”

1. Juliana Rodriguez on April 22nd, 2019 2:49 pm

I found this article believable because in the world we are living today, many schools already require to search students before school starts. I found it questionable for Morton to do this because we changed the schedule so people would stop getting to school late so it would seem like this would make more people late for class. If someone shared this I would probably think is a real article since there’s good reasoning behind the action.

2. Jasmine Flores on April 22nd, 2019 9:38 pm

I find this article to be completely believable bc there are plenty of schools that already follow this procedure to ensure the students safety. Especially after bringing in canines for drug searches and constantly catching students in bathrooms with illegal substances, you would think they would eventually come to this conclusion, adding that it was said West has already installed vape sensors in bathrooms. Not included in the article, but i would believe this article bc of that one instance last year where back packs were not allowed, and if brought they were searched and taken away, there was then talks about installing metal detectors and more cameras- which the cameras were installed. Had it not been for the disclaimer, I would’ve believed this story was true.

3. Roberto Jurado on April 23rd, 2019 12:27 am

I found this article fairly believable because students entering school with illegal substances is actually a huge problem. Many students have been caught and suspended as a result. One thing that was questionable about this article was how supposedly they are going to check every students book bags before entering the building. This sounds like a really long process judging by the amount of students that go to school. It would be nearly impossible to do a thorough search in everyone’s book bag and have everyone ready to learn by the first period bell. If it wasn’t for the disclaimer, i probably would have read this article and believed it because it is honestly a problem among school property.

4. Adriana Robles on April 23rd, 2019 9:29 am

I found this article believable because so much is going on in the world that i wouldn’t doubt that many schools would want to do that, so schools could be safer and i questioned it because the schools has stepped up to try to keep the school safe i doubt this would be one of the last things the school would do.

5. Abigail Mora on April 24th, 2019 8:57 am

I found this article believable because everyday the world changes little by little in a bad way, the school district is just trying to protect us from doing vapes, or other many things that we shouldn’t be doing in school. Many schools already have censors to protect the students. I doubt that East would get vape censors this upcoming year.

6. Consuelo Cuevas on April 24th, 2019 9:04 am

This is so believable because with everything going on in the schools all around the world it does seem like a good thing to do. Although i don’t think that schools should do this for the reason that it will cause more attentions to schools and they might become less safe at the same time. I eould believe this if i had seen this in Facebook or on the news .

7. Jonathan Gonzalez on April 24th, 2019 9:05 am

I found this article believable is that the school has plans for the upcoming school year include backpack searches for every student entering the school building in the mornings and what i found questionable is would many kids would be late to class on bag searches

8. Iraq Barragan on April 24th, 2019 9:11 am

This article seems really believable because the way students have brought illlegal substances and around the world some people even bringing guns and doing regrettable things. Many crazy stuff is happening in the world, and its crazy that school is considering checking the bookbags because of the attwntion these kids been bringing by taking juuls, or vapes to school and doing all that in school, instead of doing it out of school.

9. Rosario Cardenas on April 24th, 2019 10:07 am

I find this article believable because there are lots of things going on inside school. Many students have been found with illegal things and had consequences for it. Something questionable is that the students will be late to class because this would take a long process to check every ones personal belongings.

10. Sonia Hernandez on April 24th, 2019 12:11 pm

I find this article believable because there are a lot of students who bring illegal substances to school. Many students have been caught with illegal things and have had consequences . Something I found hard to believe is that the school is concerned about the students attendance and tardiness and it would take a long process to check every ones personal belongings. If I would see this article on Facebook I would not believe this because it has a disclaimer.

11. Jonathan Ochoa on April 26th, 2019 8:41 am

I find this article believable because there has been many problems around the world with students bringing things they shouldn’t to school. Something I find questionable is that morton wouldn’t delay their school time to search backpacks. I would believe this if I didn’t know it was fake because a lot of schools are doing it so I think one day morton is going to do this.

12. Sebastian on April 26th, 2019 11:20 am

This is good idea that they should check students backpack make sure they bring anything bad or illegal items for school safety and students sense parents doesn’t know what their kids bringing to school but getting caught in inside the building. I would believe if there kids could bring dangerous items.

13. Paulina Martinez on May 6th, 2019 10:10 am

This article was very believable due to the fact that many schools today already have some sort of detection system. What was questionable was that instead of metal detectors like most schools it would be bookbag searches. That would be too much if an invasion of privacy. If they had metal detectors and found something and then they did a bag search then its understandable and believable. If I didn’t know this article was fake I would believe its a possibility but I wouldn’t believe it’s real based off only one article.

14. Dante Ponce on May 6th, 2019 10:39 am

This is believable because there have been multiple instances where students have been caught bringing drugs or any other types of illegal items to school. What isn’t believable is the fact that they would search students just because of the little amount of instances that happen it is a complete violation of privacy and the student count is too high to make this possible in less than a hour. this would be hard to believe on social media about a school this crowded.

15. Jonathan Gomez on May 9th, 2019 10:41 am

I find believable the way they wrote this article out. It sounds kind of professional and properly written out. Lately many schools have gone through horrible times around the world. I do feel like doing this is a good thing, but I also ask how they are going to make this a faster process since school starts at 8:45 now. Yes, I would because there’s several schools that do have this in schools for the safety of everyone. And For Morton to make this decision will be smart.

16. Enrique burgos on May 13th, 2019 10:51 pm

This is extremely believable many schools already have you go through metal detectors and have clear school bags so i wouldn’t be surprised if this was true. I’d believe it if it was on fox or something.

Backpack searches to begin next year