Pregnant women struggle during COVID-19

Nelly Secundino, Reporter

Pregnant women are trying to stay as safe as possible during this pandemic.

According to Mayo Clinic “Pregnancy and Covid-19: What are the risks?” by Mayo Clinic Staff, usually, women who are pregnant are at low risk of getting COVID-19. Although pregnant women are at low risk of having COVID-19, those who do have the virus can have complications during their pregnancy. If there is a scheduled birth, the patient has to be tested for COVID-19 before entering the hospital and another one before going into the labor room. Recently, hospitals are limiting the number of people who can be in the delivery room as well as after the baby is born. Pregnant women need to be careful with who they are surrounded by and to make sure they keep their distance from those who are sick or have COVID-19. In a random poll of 20 teenagers and 10 adults, 5 out of the 20 teenagers know someone who is pregnant, and 8 out of the 10 adults know someone who is pregnant.

“My cousin got pregnant during the whole pandemic and has to be careful when she goes out. I get worried about her because she has to work and her job is full of young workers, and she always tells me how they party a lot during this pandemic. Currently, her job is closed due to someone catching the virus and is now quarantining to keep herself safe and healthy for her baby that is on the way,” junior student Cynthia Machuca said.

Many people don’t know the risk they put themselves into and the ones around them until something happens to them.

“I tested positive for COVID-19 around April, and it was the worst thing that has happened to me. My girlfriend is currently pregnant, and luckily it was after I got cleared from having the virus but thinking about it, I’m glad my girlfriend has been safe and hasn’t gotten the virus because I wouldn’t imagine the pain she’d have to go through with being pregnant,” Cicero resident Jaime Santamaria said.

COVID-19 has to be taken more seriously so people don’t get affected and their families can be safe and healthy.

“My friend recently gave birth to her baby boy and her family ended up catching the virus. It all started with her dad, and he still kept going out even when he knew he had the virus. Her sister ended up getting it as well and it was hard for my friend to make sure she was good as well as her toddler and newborn since they lived in the same house,” senior student Esmeralda Flores said.

Some people are careless when it comes to the virus and will eventually realize it’s serious when something bad happens to a family member.