Parenting Styles

One style doesn’t work for all children

Recent studies show that around the world, strict parenting has been noticed to have connections with anxiety, depression, and self-regulation issues in children.   

  “Being a strict parent is a parent who limits their kids with a lot of things and leads them to have a bad relationship,” senior Daniela Lopez, said.   

  According to Parenting Science, authoritarian parenting is correlated with parental unresponsiveness and consists of “psychological control — threats, shaming, and other punishments” to implement desired behaviors.   

  “I would not parent my children strictly because I don’t think it’s effective and causes a barrier in the relationship with your child,” Lopez said.  

  Having well-behaved children is often seen as the result of strict parenting as the child knows what is expected of them and is taught discipline as well as responsibility from a young age.  

“Some kids thrive in a very structured environment that’s very strict. You go to bed at this time, you get up at this time, this time for studying, everything is planned out for you, and some people do really well in that kind of thing,” English teacher, Glen Herman said.  

  In spite of that, Aha! Parenting explains how children who grow up with authoritarian parenting are more inclined to rebel and show anger as teens.  

  When asked why Herman chose to not parent his daughter strictly, he responded, “It worked better just talking and explaining things. ‘This is why what you did was wrong,’ rather than, ‘you did this wrong thing now you’re grounded.’ We had a very rational relationship where we could talk stuff out.”  

   Parenting Science looked at various studies, and they suggested that children had a greater risk of being involved in bullying if their parents used an authoritarian parenting style.   

   “I think parents should be friends with their children to a certain point. Parents should create an environment where their children are comfortable telling them things but there should be a limit, so the children know to respect the parent,” Lopez said.   

   In a Parenting Science article, it is shared how Martin Pinquart, an academic researcher, did a meta-analysis, using more than 1400 studies, where he found that “‘harsh discipline and psychological control were actually the biggest predictors of a child’s behavior worsening over time,’” (Pinquart 2017).  

View Comments (2)