Safety tips and advice for winter

Paul Castaneda
student looking up Winter safety (Emmanuel Adame Ornelas is in the Image)

The winter is a cold and harsh season here are some tips to stay warm

“Install storm windows or cover with plastic,” advises winter.gov. “Have an HVAC service professional check out your heating system,” suggests mrhandyman.com. According to healthpartners.com, “When the temperature is zero degrees Fahrenheit or below, it takes about 30 minutes for exposed skin to get frostbite.” Consumerreports.com emphasizes, “Clogged gutters can cause water to back up and then freeze once temperatures drop.” Kiplinger.com adds, “Look for damaged, loose, or missing shingles that may leak during winter storms or from melting snow.”

Helping us navigate winter safety is Ms. Arellano, a child development teacher.

“In order to ensure your child is kept safe during winter, make sure they are wearing layers to accommodate the drop in temperature. Also, provide appropriate outerwear like boots, scarf, gloves, and a jacket. Emphasize regular handwashing and discourage face-touching due to increased exposure to microbes indoors,” advises Ms. Arellano.

Ms. Arellano recommends,

“Purchase clothing layers (jackets, sweaters, socks, gloves, hats) that include wool as it retains warmth. For outings in cold weather, such as seeing zoo lights, consider hand warmers for the little ones.”

To keep your family safe and warm during winter, Kiplinger suggests the following:

1. Check your roof for damages and loose parts to prevent leaks from melting snow or ice.
  2. Clean gutters thoroughly to avoid water and ice damage to the roof, as well as potential infestations.
  3. Get your furnace inspected, including the boiler and heating pump, to ensure they are undamaged and functional.

Winter weather preparedness from the National Weather Service advises:

1. Avoid prolonged outdoor exposure to prevent frostbite, which can occur within 30 minutes on exposed skin in extremely cold temperatures.
  2. Insulate the inside of your home for better warmth.
  3. Have backup heat sources available for emergencies.

Healthpartners.com provides insight into frostbite symptoms:

1. Cold and tingling sensations on exposed skin.
  2. Numbness and changes in skin color to white, pale, or bluish-gray.
  3. Stiff or rubbery-feeling skin.
  4. Wind can accelerate frostbite, taking effect in as little as 15 minutes.

In conclusion, be vigilant during the winter season, taking extra precautions for the safety of yourself and your family. The harsh conditions demand proactive measures, so follow these steps and conduct further research for additional ways to stay safe.