Popeyes: 2023 chicken sandwich champion

Which is the most preferred chicken sandwich, and what fast-food establishment sells the best chicken sandwich?

At Morton East, at least, students feel Popeyes and Chick-Fil-A are neck in neck — with Popeyes bringing home the win.  In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 39 students picked Popeyes, 38 students chose Chick-Fil-A, another 11 students chose Raising Cane’s, and the last 8 students chose McDonald’s.

You may not know this startling fact, but back on November 5th, 2019, a man (Kevin Tyrell Davis) was stabbed to death after an argument over a Popeyes chicken sandwich. He was killed at a Maryland Popeyes after apparently cutting the line to try and get the chicken sandwich since it was re-released and “came back.”

The price of the chicken sandwich meals for the two winners is $11.99 for the Popeyes chicken combo and $9.49 for the Chick-Fil-A meal, including the drink and fries on the side.

Popeyes first opened back on June 12, 1972, under a different name called “Chicken on the Run.” The owner, Al Copeland, wanted to compete with KFC, but after several months, he kept failing. So, he closed the restaurant, but after four days, Copeland reopened the restaurant and called it “Popeyes Mighty Good Chicken” instead.

This is a quote from a student on what makes this winner so special: A junior, an unknown person, said, “I think because of the way they cook their chicken, they make them crispier, and they give some real big chicken pieces in the sandwich.”

The winner for the best chicken sandwich is Popeyes, being the 1st and the most preferred, as well as being the best-selling embellishment. Coming in 2nd is Chick-Fil-A, 3rd is Raising Cane’s, and lastly is McDonald’s.

View Comments (1)