Culinary gives safety advice for the kitchen

Culinary+preparing+food+during+their+event.+
Jeanette Villegas
Culinary preparing food during their event.

Beware!  You or someone in your family is more likely to have an accident in the kitchen over Thanksgiving and the holidays than on any other day of the year.

The National Fire Protection Association highlights the grim reality of deep fryer incidents, averaging five deaths, 60 injuries, and over $15 million in property damage annually. Thanksgiving-related emergencies spiked by 121.5% between 2018 and 2022, with 2020 witnessing a staggering 4,846 Thanksgiving cooking accidents – a 173.5% increase compared to a typical Thursday. Thanksgiving Day is identified as the peak for cooking-related fires, contributing to roughly 1,000 home fires annually.

ValuePenguin and MarketWatch reinforce these concerns, emphasizing the dangers of turkey fryer fires. According to the Insurance Information Institute, fires related to turkey fryers account for five deaths, 60 injuries, and significant property damage each year. MorrowSheppard warns of the high risk associated with deep-fryers, including tipping over, overheating, and potential injuries.

Ms. Herrera, a specialist in culinary safety, offers practical advice.

“So I would recommend a fire extinguisher in an easy-to-reach place, baking soda and salt for oil or grease fires, sharp knives for safe cutting, gloves for ready-to-eat food, utensils for food handling, and wearing dry oven mitts,” culinary teacher Ms. Jessica Herrera said.

Addressing concerns about class safety, Ms. Herrera emphasizes that all culinary students must become certified in safety protocol before they can cook.

“Yes, the students need to take a ServSafe test (certification of Sanitation and food safety),” Ms. Herrera said.

Ms. Herrera reflects on common mistakes in the kitchen and class.

“Common ones are burns and cuts, often occurring due to rushing or lack of attention,” Ms. Herrera said.

Ms. Herrera’s holiday advice is succinct.

“Oil and water don’t mix, don’t be in a hurry, and be safe,” Ms. Herrera said.

Mr. Benford, another culinary expert, recommends a simple yet crucial safety measure

“Non-slip shoes,” culinary teacher Mr. Karl Benford said.

Mr. Benford highlighting the importance of student certification,

“Yes, all students are required to take the safety and sanitation food handler course on ServSafe.com,” said Mr. Benford

Mr. Benford identifies knife safety as a primary concern.

“The most common accidents stem from knife safety, resulting in only a few minor cuts,” said Mr. Benford

Concerns extend beyond cuts, as Mr. Benford warns about unseen dangers.

“Cross-contamination, for example, Covid, Salmonella, and other foodborne illnesses,” said Mr. Benford

In conclusion, the holidays, synonymous with joy and great food, also bring potential kitchen hazards. Morton East’s culinary experts underscore the importance of adhering to safety measures to enjoy the festive season to its fullest. Just as one prepares for the freezing cold, equal caution is required in the kitchen to ensure a safe and delightful holiday experience.

View Comments (2)