Kick off spooky season with these films

Yessica Martinez Castillo, Reporter

Action movies seem to be the most popular genre of movie here at Morton East — with comedy and horror close behind.

About 100 Morton Students have taken a movie survey in the past week, asking about their movie habits, routines, and preferences. Responses show our Mustang students’ favorite movie genres, snacks, and even theaters, catering to our local mustang population. In a random survey of 100 students surveyed, the top 3 movie genres were action (54 students), comedy (50 Students), and horror (44 Students) — perfect for this upcoming season of movies for October 2022.
Out of all options “Watching multiple trailers for the same movie can help you see how good the story is or just give you more insight on the plot. Or even just checking Rotten Tomatoes,” Director of English, Language Arts, and Media Services, Mark Sujak said on narrowing down your movie options.

His favorite movie, perfect for the jumps and scares of October, is Hereditary (2018), a Psychological horror, thriller film directed and written by Ari Aster, given a 90% tomato meter score on Rotten Tomatoes.
But, Mandy Genge, an English teacher at Morton East, prefers the magical touches of Amélie (2001). An R-rated Rom-Com, acclaimed for its cinematography, Amelie was filmed at over 80 Parisian locations. Amelie, the main character interracts with the interesting lives of others while being introduced to a secret love along the way.  Ms. Genge could watch this film over and over again.

No matter how often we go to the movies, about 91% of Morton Mustangs interviewed have claimed to have a movie buddy of choice. From friends (44%) to family (37%), or even your significant other (9%). Ms. Genge and Mr. Sujak themselves see that they have their movie buddy of choice. Ms. Genge, who goes to the movies at least three times a month, almost always goes with her close friend and colleague, Kent Frankfother, English Teacher at Morton East — or her father. Mr. Sujak, on the other hand, prefers to watch his movies with his significant other.
As “a personal recommendation,” I recommend Pearl (2022), a Horror Slasher movie, and a prequel to X (2022). It is centered around Pearl, a girl sick and tired of the isolation on her family farm, who will do anything to get out. Wanting to be loved by as many people as she can, aware that she is not a good person, but will shock her fans and the world with what she’s willing to do to make her dream a reality as it visualizes the mental break of a girl who dreams, already out in theaters as of September 16th.
But what better way to accompany your movie of choice than your signature snacks? Over 60% of responses have shown that they prefer popcorn in one way or another. Whether that would be with jalepeños on top or popcorn with melted chocolate. Whatever way you like your snacks, we hope you enjoy your movie as well.