Majority of Morton’s young adults still watching cartoons

Serious national topics are often alluded to in some of our popular cartoons, for example,

Serious national topics are often alluded to in some of our popular cartoons, for example, "the wall" with Sponge Bob.

Jonathan Frutos, reporter

Young Adults from around the world are still watching cartoon shows, but why? 

In a random survey of 100 students, 69% of students said they do watch cartoons, and 31% of students said that they don’t watch cartoon shows, at least not since they entered young adulthood.   

According to geeks.media, millions of adults around the globe are still watching cartoons, as it is the best way to avoid the stress of everyday life. This phenomenon is called “kidult” (kid+adult), which refers to adults who have habits of consumption of teenagers. Before, being a kidult was frowned upon, but now it’s seen as something fun. Being an adult implies having responsibilities and sometimes it is good to watch a cartoon that entertains and make us laugh. In a cartoon, everything is possible, therefore, everything is more fun. When you watch a movie, you want to see good performances, a good script and a good direction. When you watch cartoons, you do not demand any of that, you just want to relax and enjoy, says geeks.media. 

Is it ok for young or old adults to watch cartoon shows?  

“Yes, if you’re an old adult and watch cartoons it’s childhood and they make cartoons to target age groups,” said Ms. Sandavol 

What age should people watch cartoons? 

“Any age or when little because it’s educational and entertaining,” said teacher Ms. Clarisa Sandoval.

It doesn’t matter what age people are; cartoons are entertaining for all ages.

Yet, some people still happen to become embarrassed when watching cartoons in front of people in a public place.

“They don’t want to be perceived like being immature,” said Ms. Sandoval.

Can adults still be kids by watching cartoon shows?  

“(One) can be a kid at heart, growing up watching a cartoon while it still airs; (Cartoons) remind of childhood,” said Ms. Sandoval.   “I grew up watching Rugrats, my favorite show,” she added. 

Adults can always be kids at heart; it doesn’t mean they should act like kids on the outside.  Parents don’t appreciate seeing their adult sons or daughters watching cartoons because they want them to grow up and act mature.

“(Some) parents see (cartoon viewing) as immaturity,” said Ms. Sandoval.    

What can teens learn from cartoons? 

“A lot of things — like scripts of what’s (actually) going on in society,” said Ms. Sandavol

6 Responses to “Majority of Morton’s young adults still watching cartoons”

1. Silvia 1 on February 21st, 2019 11:15 pm

Interesting article and I completely agree. I’m not embarrassed to say that I still sometimes watch cartoons from time to time because it’s a lookback in my childhood like Arthur. When that comes on my Tv I get happy and it’s something I can’t look away from. Cartoons, shows, and movies are all a way to get away from the real world and into a imaginative world to get away from problems that people go through everyday.

2. Aaron Fajardo on February 22nd, 2019 9:27 am

I believe a lot of adults watch cartoons because it reminds them of their child hood and the god times they probably had watching cartoons after school or on a Saturday morning. i know many adults that still like watching cartoons and find them amusing.

3. angel pr4 on February 22nd, 2019 11:37 am

Most of my family watch old cartoons to remind them of how easy it was just to sit and watch whatever was on to laugh and just be happy. To this day my family and I watch cartoons whenever they are free and they just watch it for hours.

4. Sebastian 4th on February 22nd, 2019 12:56 pm

I stopped watching cartoons when i was in 6th grade because it changed a lot and they stopped showing the ones I liked. If i ever get the chance to watch them I would because it would remind me of my childhood. I would still be entertained like the old times. All i did was watch cartoons when I was younger because I never had a video game console.

5. Andres on February 22nd, 2019 2:24 pm

There isn’t anything shameful by watching cartoons as an adult. I think it’s very interesting how some young adults can bring out a conversation with other people about how they enjoyed watching these cartoons as youngsters. In many scenarios, adults whom already have children watch cartoons with their children an it creates a fun bonding experience.

6. Andres on February 22nd, 2019 2:24 pm

• Majority of Morton’s young adults still watching cartoons

News

Cheaters: why men, women step-out on relationships

Student Life

Majority of students have had positive Valentine’s Day experiences

Community

Lonely or nah this Valentine’s Day, about half of us are single

• Student Life

Social media war: Facebook versus Instagram

• Community

Paper work versus electronic work

Community

Will we ever have a female president?

News

How Morton East students survive Valentine’s Day

Community

Your Best or Worst Valentine’s Day Ever

• Community

Single on Valentine’s? Not a problem

Community

Should Valentines Day gifts be expensive or non-expensive?