AirPod trend, not necessarily trending at East

Back to Article
Back to Article

AirPods are taking this world -- and others -- by storm.

Ever heard of AirPods? These wireless Bluetooth headphones are taking the world by a storm, and it seems that a lot of teens at Morton East are trying to keep up with the trend even though they are overpriced.

We surveyed 100 Morton East students and only 26 of the students own AirPods — and most of the teens that did not own AirPods said they are useless and overpriced.

“I can buy them but personally I do not want to spend the money on that when I can buy better quality headphones,” senior Fidel Montoya said.

Fidel seems to be a money saver and doesn’t see himself buying AirPods anytime soon.

“I just simply do not want them because I hate apple and I have an android,” senior Albert Lazaro said.

This is a big problem with android users they cannot get AirPods because it is apple.

“AirPods are very convenient and come in handy when I am at school, now wire feels much better, money wise it was not a problem because I had saved up for them,” senior Eddie Arias said.

People that want AirPods seemed to have to save up for these because the price is so high on these devices.

“I got AirPods as a gift but personally if I were to buy them I wouldn’t, simply because of the price, almost 200$ for headphones without a wire. To me they sound exactly the same as the wired ones,” senior Dominic Nixon said.

As Christmas approached, many received these as gifts, so many did not have to buy these on their own.

So, in conclusion, less than half of the 100 students have AirPods and most of the other teens think that they are a waste of money or simply just not worth the price. Therefore, would you consider buying yourself a pair? You decide.

6 Responses to “AirPod trend, not necessarily trending at East”

1. Andrik Nava on February 12th, 2019 9:23 am

As a personal user of the Apple air pods, i have to agree with senior Fidel Montoya as they are unconventional and do not serve real purpose other than listening to songs/videos. Although Air pods are expensive there wired counterpart perform the same basic tasks they both deliver good sound quality, and are comfortable to have in your ear. Adding on to that Fidel Montoya made a good point on how he cant see himself buying a more expensive gadget that what he already has.

2. Diana Solis on February 12th, 2019 2:13 pm

I can understand the trend with Air Pods. They are extremely convenient and it is a new technology device to have. However, as many students mentioned they are highly overpriced. Some kids are suffering with even having enough money to buy clothes. Buying wireless headphones so that you could look cool to your friends rather than getting a bite to eat seems ridiculous. Sometimes, people do things to show off when nobody actually cares. If you have the money and you can buy them, you should buy them. Don’t buy them because you want to seem cool. Buy them because you would actually make goof use out of them. You do not need everything in life. It’s all a fad.

3. Sirena on February 12th, 2019 7:15 pm

I would not buy AirPods even if I had more than enough money. The only thing I can think of for owing AirPods is that you can’t get caught with them in class. Sure, the wire can get in the way sometimes but what I do is keep it under my shirt, it looks ridiculous but it works. Others may have a different opinion but I don’t see the need to own these earphones; any earphones would work fine with me, as long as they actually function properly.

4. Daniella Esparza on February 12th, 2019 8:26 pm

Personally I think that Airpods were worth the money when they had just recently came out because the whole point of the headphones were for them to be wireless, yes many other companies have “wireless” headphones but they still usually have a wire that goes around your neck and tucked behind your ear. But these were specifically made so that there would be no type of wire in the way. Apple made them just so they can be like the regular wired headphones that come with your iphone when you purchase it, if anything they just include a wider sound rage because you’re not tied up with the wire.

5. Samantha Juarez on February 12th, 2019 9:01 pm

I agree with this whole article in some ways. This is because airpods are very expensive and to have the same qualities as some wired headphones its just not worth the price. Most people did receive AirPods as gifts which is why many people do have them now, but why waste money on head phones that you will probably end up losing in less than a month. I like that they included points of views from students here to get the bigger picture of the whole AirPod debate. I disagree with the part when they said about the headphones not working with androids because I have a cousin who has used the airpods with an android phone and they still work. Overall this article was pretty good and included both sides of the argument.

6. Alexia on February 13th, 2019 12:17 pm

As a user of the apple air pods I personally think that they aren’t work the money. Like how Dominic said that it was gifted them. they just aren’t worth the money. And I actually think that people in this school are trying to follow the trend so that they can flex on others and say “ I don’t speak broke”.

• Arts and Entertainment

Kareem Hunt back in the league

• AirPod trend, not necessarily trending at East

Arts and Entertainment

Morton loves homemade Valentine’s Day gifts

Arts and Entertainment

Rose Bear promises to be best Valentine’s gift for 2019

• Fashion

Tattoos planned for most students

• Fashion

Most students have iPhones

• Arts and Entertainment

Boys should pay on Valentine’s Day, many say

Community

Students with tattoos in the minority at MEHS

Community

Tattoos are fairly common for Morton teens

Arts and Entertainment

Turnabout turns into winter formal

Arts and Entertainment

New year brings new games to East enthusiasts