Half of students have jobs — for more than money

Back to Article
Back to Article

Angelica Vazquez applying for Subway on her phone.

Silvia Jimenez

Silvia Jimenez

Silvia Jimenez

At Morton East High School students about half of the students are probably working — not only for the money but for the experience and to learn responsibility.  

Through America, there are students who work part-time while attending school. This brings attention to the effect working has on a student academically. According to byu.edu, working more than 20 hours has a significant increase in GPA. However, according to the same source, working more than 20 hours a week has a negative effect on the student’s GPA due to the fact they don’t have time to study and to commit to school work. In a random survey of 111 Morton East High School students, 55 students claimed to have a job and 56 students said they did not have a job. 

“I work at Soldier Field since October. They pay me $12.10 an hour. I like my job for sure. It’s pretty cool to meet new people. I work for the experience of a job but to also know people and help them in any way,” said junior Evelyn Marquez. 

For Evelyn, it seems she has a good job where she likes to work and meet new people. However, others may have a bit of a complaint at their jobs regarding customers.  

“I enjoy my job. Although some of the customers are crazy, rude, and loud. I like how many co-workers support each other and work as a family,” said senior Keliah Leato. 

Most students in high school between the ages of 16-18 have flexible jobs. Although others around that age do not have a job yet for various reasons. 

“I don’t work. My parents want me to be a full-time student and keep studying. Subway is my dream job. Since no one really goes to it, I feel like it would be easy,” said senior Valentina Betancourt.  

Many parents don’t like the idea of their children working at such a young age, however, unlike Valentina, there are others who go against what their parents think.  

“I work because I need money. My parents don’t like the idea of me working but they didn’t force me, but I just started working for money and getting my own things,” said sophomore Karely Corona.  

10 Responses to “Half of students have jobs — for more than money”

1. Zeena Al Herbawi on February 12th, 2019 9:25 am

I would want to get a job. I want a job because I have a lot of free time and I would like to put it to get use. Getting a job will teach me responsibility and it would also let me buy my own things. Getting a job means I no longer have to ask my parents for money and I can help pay the bills.

2. Marlene Galvan on February 12th, 2019 11:13 am

There are a lot of various reasons why students work. Most of the students start working to get your own money. I can connect to Valentina because my parents don’t want to let me work. Even though in a lot of the jobs the age is not permitted to be under 16 and I am not able to work in a lot of places. When I want to start working to get money for myself it is most likely that my parents won’t let me go to work because they want me to be a full time student and don’t distract myself from my academics.

3. Cristian Perez on February 12th, 2019 1:14 pm

Well to begin with, i want to say my own opinion about this short news. Work sometimes does have you working late and you can’t be full committed into school and don’t have time to do their homework and study. Something positive about this is that some students work in order for them to get their own money and have the privilege to buy whatever they want with their money, like it stated at the end “I work because i need money. My parents didn’t like the idea of me working but they didn’t force me, but i just started working for money and getting my own things.” I can relate to this because in the summer my friend and i went to go work in this factory, and well i went because i wanted to see how it felt to get my own money and how hard it was working for it. It wasn’t such a good experience working in a factory, a lot of back pain and neck pain, not the job you’re looking for.

4. Sirena Reyes on February 12th, 2019 2:13 pm

I have also been told that I shouldn’t get a job at such a young age because of the affect it can cause on my education. My mom will always support me and my decisions, but she worries that working will effect my grades. For the past couple of months my older brother has been searching for a job, and my mom has been helping him with his résumé. My mom and I compromised that I could get a weekend job at the least, so we’re currently trying to get everything together. I believe I can benefit a lot from getting a job at a young age so then I can save up for my future, and as this article stated “not only for the money but for the experience and to learn responsibility.” I believe I can gain knowledge of the real world faster if I work hard for it instead of waiting until I’m older.

5. Angela Moran on February 12th, 2019 11:47 pm

I know many people that are in the same situation as Karely Corona. Coming from immigrant parents its hard to get a good job and that means less money for not just the parents but the children too. I am in the same situation as Valentina Berancourt because my parents do not want me working. My parents want me to focus on school 100% and if I do get a job it has to be a good one and one that gives good experience and treatment. I still do agree with Evelyn Marquez though because experience is good to have not only for a better chance to get into a good school or job but also it gives you experience in life. You get to know people and learn many communication and valuable skills.

6. Joseph Colon on February 13th, 2019 8:53 am

I feel that students should find a job for the experience because they can learn so much out of it. The parents should allow the students to get jobs because not only they are learning valuable lessons but they can also help out financially. I also feel that they need to learn how to balance their work and their school so they can continue working and continue to do good in school. If going to school and working is hard for them to do they should apply for a part time job instead of a full time.

7. Makaveli on February 13th, 2019 10:16 am

personally i think there is nothing wrong with having a job. some people are able to multi task and some can’t. working at a early age can help you know what your strengths and weaknesses are. as soon as you graduate, you will have a spot open. i like how she still works even though her parents don’t like it. that really shows that she will be prepared when she graduates.

8. Natalia Marquez on February 14th, 2019 11:45 am

I think it is important for us teens to have a job. We would learn so much from the experience, we would learn that life isn’t as easy as we think. I think senior year is a good time to get a job, some students get a job at their junior year.

9. Carolina Herrera Hour 1 on February 15th, 2019 12:12 pm

did you know
    those who had not graduated from high school, the employment rate gap between males and females was 14 percentage points (53 percent for males and 39 percent for females). For high school graduates, the gap was 12 percentage points (75 versus 63 percent).

10. Paola-4 on February 18th, 2019 7:11 pm

I started to work when I was 15. At first I wasn’t really sure if I would like it, but it is only a summer job so it is not too hard. Like this article, I work for money, but also for other reasons. It feels nice to have and earn money on my own and not have to rely on my parents for everything. But I also continue to work at my job because they have a program where they offer full ride college scholarships. So I continue working to be more independent, but also to help my future.

• Half of students have jobs — for more than money

News

Cheaters: why men, women step-out on relationships

News

Seniors and the appealing process, fair or unfair?

• Arts and Entertainment

Kareem Hunt back in the league

Community

Will we ever have a female president?

News

How Morton East students survive Valentine’s Day

Community

Would you want to be President? If so, what would you do?

News

With all the new technology, Morton East students still prefer old school paperwork

Community

Students prefer sacrificing holiday over extending year

Community

Do you celebrate Valentines Day?

Community

East sides with the victim