East students, not saving money

Senior+Kevin+Castillo+counts++his+cash+prior+to+a+big+shopping+spree+he+has+planned.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

East students, not saving money

Senior Kevin Castillo counts  his cash prior to a big shopping spree he has planned.

Senior Kevin Castillo counts his cash prior to a big shopping spree he has planned.

Kevin Castillo and Oscar Cruz

At Morton East, students are spending their money rather than saving it.

According to CNN Business, “Consumer spending rose more than expected in April (2018) … but people are also saving less.” They stated that the US Commerce Department had reported that “personal expenditures rose by 0.6%.” This is double of what economists had expected. However, as a result of this increase “the saving rate fell to 2.8%,” which can be seen through the statistics from the students at Morton East. From a survey of 110 students, 78 students said they spend money rather than save money, while 32 said the opposite.

Some younger students had something to say about saving money.

“I feel like saving up money right now is better so you won’t have to worry about money later on in life,” Junior Joel Cruz said.

“I want to start saving right now so, later on, I could help my parents with bills, pay for my own things, and also save money up for college,” senior Vannity Bahena said.

Others had a different opinion.

“I mean, I work so I don’t really have to worry about saving up money for right now,” senior Steven Vallejo said.

“I really don’t have to worry about money right now; my parents always got me with money,” freshman Jorge Castillo said.

However, some very important words were said to keep the students alert about their money spending.

“The kids here should really start to save money up before it’s too late, you never know what can happen so it’s better to be safe than sorry,” College Center Coordinator Ms. Marisol Avila said.

2 Responses to “East students, not saving money”

1. Nancy Gutierrez on February 12th, 2019 2:14 pm

money has always been a huge issue iv seen especially students and as teenagers we think that we have it all solved for us and that we dont have to worry about it yes if u have a job your always remaking the money spend but if people just take a second to wait and save even if it 10 dollars a week as the weeks and month go by students would be surprised how much they can save up and how helpful its going to be when collage students start driving having to pay or gas and books notebooks just even the basic stuff to survive i would be smart and to not relie on your parents so much because in the long run you have your self and you would be able maintain yourself and learn what actually important to buy and what are just “wants” not “need”

2. Richard Anzueto on February 12th, 2019 10:28 pm

I agree that students should start saving their money for college because sooner or later college is going to be around the counter. Although parents can pay for whatever their child want, their probably not going to want pay for tuition for every semester. Plus its never to early to start saving since it will only benefit you with having backup money or being able to assist your parents in times of need.

East students, not saving money