Morton East students support legalization of marijuana

Back to Article
Back to Article

The majority of Morton East students support the legalization of Marijuana (recreationally) in the state of Illinois. 

In a random survey of 100 people, 76 said that they support the legalization of Marijuana while 24 said they oppose the legalization of Marijuana. According to pewresearch.org, a whopping 62% of Americans were found to support the legalization of marijuana. Just recently, our neighboring state, Michigan, legalized marijuana recreationally and it’s the first Midwestern state to completely legalize marijuana. We could be the next Midwestern state to legalize marijuana. According to wglt.org, recreational marijuana can be expected to bring in an outstanding 525 MILLION dollars of tax revenue. This huge revenue can vastly diminish the Illinois budget crisis. For example, there was a question in the ballot that asked if cook county should use the tax revenue from marijuana to be spent on school. 

Here are some opinions from people we interviewed from Morton East High School.  

“I think marijuana helps medically and for a better sleep and for insomnia,” said Melanie Martinez. 

Morton East high school’s security guard also had very similar opinions on Marijuana as Melanie did. 

“Yeah, it’s not good recreationally. Only medicinal,” said security guard Teresa. 

Some people, just as Melanie and Teresa, believe cannabis has medicinal properties and can be used medicinally. However, there are also people who are strongly against marijuana, in both medicinally and recreationally. 

“I’m against it. It’s bad for you. People forget. I have friends that forget what they’re supposed to do while high,” Morton East security guard Christian said.

4 Responses to “Morton East students support legalization of marijuana”

1. Anthony Abarca on January 10th, 2019 9:27 am

That’s very decent for Illinois.

2. Guadalupe S Vazquez on February 12th, 2019 11:59 am

In my opinion, legalizing marijuana might be a good change for Illinois. I think it’ll be a good change because more people that need marijuana for medical use will be able to get it no problem. Like this, there would be less situations were the police stop those who use it medical than stopping others for personal use. What i mean is that here will be less hassle. there would be less people going to jail or getting a ticket for having weed. Also, since many people want Illinois to legalize marijuana, I think there will be less controversy. I think this because people are getting what they think it’s okay. Personally,I think that legalizing weed can have some issues but it will be beneficial for those who need it medically.

3. Yanixel on February 12th, 2019 2:02 pm

I agree with legalization of marijuana I think there is a lot of benefits that would be brought. I think it depends on how people use it and the amount they use. Many people need it for medical purposes and it helps with migraines, which is amazing since a lot of people suffer from migraines. Marijuana wouldn’t only help medically but economically, there would be a lot of money being made. I agree that the money could be used in helpful ways like for example education or other things.

4. Elian E Montes on February 13th, 2019 7:54 am

i am stuck in between for both. recreational marijuana can have many good uses. marijuana can help in medical cases, which is great. large amounts of the subtances can also be used in the wrong hands or simply drug trafficking can increase