Prom dresses: more than half will spend between $100 to $200

Back to Article
Back to Article

Some of the popular styles can cost well over $500.

About half of senior girls at Morton East this year will be spending $100 to $200 on a prom dress.

In a random survey of 50 Morton East students, 27 girls reported that they would buy a prom dress from 100-200 dollars. The other half would spend 300-400 dollars on a prom dress. In the United States a promenade dance, most commonly called prom, is a semi-formal (black tie) dance or gathering of High School students. This event is typically held near the end of senior year (the last year of high school). Proms figure greatly in popular culture and major events among High School students. High School attending the prom may call it “junior prom” while High School seniors call it “senior Prom” In practice, this event may be combined junior/senior dance. In fact, prom started early as the late 19th century.

“I think it’s important for girls to start looking for dresses because dresses are expensive, and girls are very picky and can change their mind over time,” senior Marisol Roman said.

Although in some boutiques you can design how you want your dress to look, some girls prefer not to.

“If you start looking for a prom dress now, you have time to decide how you want it, and you can choose a color.  I prefer buying the dress from the boutique; I know I wouldn’t be good designing my own dress,” senior Kimberly Dominguez said.

Some girls might have an idea of how they want their dress to look, but some don’t.  It’s always better to plan or shop for a dress way ahead of time.

“They would have time if they change their mind about the dress; they can go back and change it and if the dress is too big, you are going to have extra time to get it fit at the right size,” senior Leslie Antunez said.

3 Responses to “Prom dresses: more than half will spend between $100 to $200”

1. Kailey Mojica on February 12th, 2019 10:50 am

I think that it’s okay for a senior girl to splurge on a prom dress, as long as it won’t set them and their family back financially. Prom is an important celebration, it’s the last dance of high school. Many students don’t get the chance to dress up in a beautiful dress and get their makeup done. Prom is the place where these students can have fun before going off to officially being an adult.

2. Jennifer Uribe on February 12th, 2019 1:10 pm

I agree with what the girls had to say. It is important to start thinking about these type of things because it can be a problem if you leave it last minute. Leslie Antunez had said that it is better to look for your prom dress because it may fit big or too tight, but you still have time to get it fixed. It is a one time experience, and I’m pretty sure the senior girls want to look beautiful that day. Therefore, it is better to start looking for the dresses.

3. Carolina Herrera hour 1 on February 15th, 2019 12:19 pm

Prom is really demanding and places a lot of pressure on high school seniors because of all the things you have to do. Find a date, find a dress, find a hair appointment, get your nails done, find a group to go with, get your bouquet of flowers, plan the prom weekend, find a limo or party bus, make or get a garter, and so much more. Prom is a lot of work.