With all the new technology, Morton East students still prefer old school paperwork

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors William Ramos and Adrian Gallegos are working on their assignments the way they feel most comfortable with.

Natalia Marquez, Rebecca Espinoza, and Tania Figueroa

The majority of Morton East students surveyed say they still prefer paperwork. 

In a random survey of 120 Morton East students, 89 students said they preferred paperwork and 31 students said they preferred computer work. Paperwork in school isn’t as popular as it was many years ago. Over the past couple of years, computers have become very popular in the educational field; the staff of schools is always wanting to improve and advance the students’ education. Some students like doing their work on computers; they like keeping up with technology.  But, there are other students who prefer paperwork; they are more comfortable writing their assignments than typing them. There are pros and cons to each form of schoolwork. A bad thing about using computers for assignments is the work sometimes doesn’t get sent to the right place. A bad thing about paperwork is students lose their work. A good thing about computers is that the students have access to more information and all their files are saved if they save them. Nevertheless, students would still prefer paperwork.  

“I personally prefer paperwork because it is less stressful. I’ve always thought when I have to print or send my work there are so many things that can go wrong, I just feel like I have more control over my work when it’s on paper,” sophomore Veronica Gonzalez said.  

There are always going to be disagreements with any topic, there are other students who think the laptops help them a lot with their work throughout the school day. 

“I like using the laptop because not only is it useful, but I don’t have to carry so many textbooks around, my backpack is less heavy now,” senior Evelyn Ortega said.  

Many parents think the laptop is a distraction for the students, but the students think otherwise. 

“I feel that the laptop is not a distraction for me because I am responsible enough to know I need to get my work done, it is also easier for me to do my work and I don’t have to carry a lot of textbooks,” senior Juan Avila said.  

Some students like laptops because it helps them keep their work neat. 

“I think it is better to use the laptops because my teachers can actually read what I say, my handwriting has always been so sloppy; my teachers would always complain that they couldn’t read my work,” senior Ivan Ortega said.  

Although, there are more students who will always carry notebooks, pens, pencils, and erasers. 

“I carry three notebooks, one for each major subject. I use the notebooks for English, Math, and Ap History. I always prefer the way I am more comfortable with,” junior Destiny Idera said. 

10 Responses to “With all the new technology, Morton East students still prefer old school paperwork”

1. Sebastian 4th on February 14th, 2019 12:52 pm

I prefer having a laptop than getting worksheets because you can lose worksheets easily. An experience I had was that i lost an essay when i was in 9th grade because I chose to write it.

2. Juan Avila on February 14th, 2019 12:54 pm

I think that for some people pen and paper will just never change, yet many schools have pushed the initiative to cut down on using paper like here at Morton. I think that it’s a good idea to use technology more in school as it becomes more user friendly and on top of that helps ease pressure off our enviorment. An estimated 3.5 billion to 7 billion trees are cut each year according to an environmentalist website.

3. Crystal Period 1 on February 15th, 2019 9:36 am

I think personally i would prefer using my laptop because most students use technology so they are used to it. Also it makes homework much easier to do instead having to worry about me having my homework like a other person said you could easily lose your homework on paper.

4. Giselle on February 15th, 2019 10:23 am

Many students like me prefer to do school work or homework with a pencil and paper because it is easy to do your assigned work. Using technology can cause you problems in many ways. For example, you can have problems with the WiFi or when the computer is slow. At the same time its easier to do online because you don’t have to worry about going after school to turn in a paper to your teacher, you just send it through email.

5. Humberto 4 on February 15th, 2019 12:56 pm

I prefer doing my work on my computer because it’s less stressful for me to look for my work in my folder. I can just log in to my computer and search up my work than having to look for it. I have had many instances where I have lost my paper and couldn’t find so I had to turn nothing for homework.

6. Kevin Castillo 1st on February 21st, 2019 9:03 am

I used to prefer paperwork, but now the computer has grown on me since I have everything I need on the computer, rather than go looking around for papers.

7. tony 4 on February 22nd, 2019 12:45 pm

Paperwork is a mission, you do worksheets and days later you lose them. Now that we have technology it is better because we can now save documents on one drive so that way you don’t lose them and take time to find them when you need them.

8. Hector Perez on February 22nd, 2019 12:48 pm

I really do think it depends the situation or the work you’re going to do. For example, if I were to write a paper, essay, story, etc. I would want to type that out because handwriting it will get my hand tired. However, if it was not taking or math problems, I prefer doing those in paper. Electronics do have their negatives. I remember my sophomore year I had done an essay for Spanish . When I was going to turn it in I couldn’t find it and it sucked because I had to do it all over again. That’s why it really does depend on how the students feel doing their work is better for them.

9. Alexander Ornelas on February 22nd, 2019 6:32 pm

I personally do prefer the old school pencil and paper. Just because if I have something like a laptop or tablet I’ll be easy to zone out and start watching videos or playing video games.

10. Justin on April 15th, 2019 5:51 pm

I liked this article because it was really interesting, got straight to the purpose. Had plenty of evidence to support its reason.I personally think nothing has to be fixed. I personally would use paper because it is way easier to turn in. Sometimes lap tops can really mess up on you or get lost. Maybe sometimes you wont have access to the internet which also isnt good. So thats why i think using paper is easier .