Many students are against the “wall” — but they still think it’s coming

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo credit to Congressman Bobby Rush

Photo credit to Congressman Bobby Rush

Photo credit to Congressman Bobby Rush

Photo credit to Congressman Bobby Rush

Anthony Abarca and Quinton Dixon

In a recent study of 100 Morton East students and staff, 40 said that they believe that the US will eventually create a wall on the southern border. 

In 2019 so far there have been 10,265 migrants caught on the southern border from a total 48,287 captured in total from all entry points in the US. Most of the immigrants were of 18 years old but there were a lot of children crossing the border. Although in recent years more people have been leaving the US than coming in some people do want the government to pass a bill in which funding is produced to further secure the southern border with Mexico. 

‘’Yes, just cause the way he is he’s so critical on Latin Americans,’’ Senior Anahi Rodriguez said. 

She Feels like Donald Trump is being hard on the Latin culture because he’s trying to build the wall. 

‘’No, because they not going to give the money for it,’’ Junior Luis Bocanegra said. 

He knows the Government won’t provide Trump with money to build the wall. 

‘’Yea, because they have a bad president, they’re going to do what he wants,’’ Senior Ashley Polacios said.         

Donald Trump is the president he does has power, but that doesn’t mean he can just do what he wants. 

‘’I hope not, his not good it sends the wrong message, we’re not that type of people,’’ math teacher Ms. Courtney Miller said.

It seems that many people think that the wall can go either way.

“They’re not going to build the wall; they’re going to lock Trump up,” Senior Deonte Jackson said.

While others think more radical measures are going to be taken.

” I don’t know; it’s a stalemate right now.  No one is making concessions; the only way something changes is if the public changes their views and Republicans make compromises,” English teacher Mrs. Therese Tanski said.

It seems right now that people think there are many possibilities on the table right now, and it seems they’re all equally able to happen.

7 Responses to “Many students are against the “wall” — but they still think it’s coming”

1. Robert Olvera on February 12th, 2019 9:24 am

Trump is not going to be able to build the wall. I don’t know why the students interviewed failed to mention that trump isn’t the only one that controls the government. This is the reason he closed the government to try and scare the other branches.even though he did this they are still not going to give in and the wall is not going to be built.

2. Ketzaly Ocampo on February 12th, 2019 10:19 am

I personally felt like you could’ve put more information about the measures Trump is willing to do to build the wall. Overall you guys did great including variety of opinions that truly describe how students and staff feel about the topic. The fact that Morton East is mainly hispanics really shows how we as a school can be effected with the labels our very own president puts on us. Hopefully we are wrong when coming down to believing that there is going to be a Wall that divides us with our nationality.

3. Jesus Figueroa on February 12th, 2019 2:01 pm

The wall should be built either way and I don’t believe it’s “xenophobic” as people say it is. It has been twisted a lot by the media claiming it’s racist towards Latino’s. Now Trump doesn’t want immigration to stop but he doesn’t want Illegal Immigration. He is already promised to reform ICE and the way Immigrants gain access into the United States with other programs than that of Visa. Either way the Wall isn’t expensive either as most people would point out. It’s just 0.53% of our national Budget, that number doesn’t even reach the 1%. Many would claim that that money could go towards the people but then again those 5 Billion dollars being distributed to all people in need of money will just receive enough food to feed themselves for at least a week. Not only is that unproductive but it doesn’t help our economy as well.

4. Julian A Yanez on February 13th, 2019 11:37 am

I really like how you had the opinions of the students at Morton. I believe that the wall shouldn’t be built. Either way I don’t think the wall will be built because no one wants to fund the wall. The wall is way to expensive and the US is still in debt. Also, Trump and his government won’t be able to compromise with the democrats, who also don’t think a wall in necessary. Moreover, I don’t think a wall would even be able to effectively stop illegal immigration because immigrants could just find a new way to get in.

5. Cesar Barajas on February 15th, 2019 10:34 am

I think they shouldn’t build it and the government should spend their money onto something else that’s really necessary.

6. Crystal Salgado on February 15th, 2019 10:42 am

I think there could have been more information and better pictures and be more specific

7. KIMBERLY J DOMINGUEZ 2 hour on February 15th, 2019 10:48 am

I think there not need for a “wall” they should be worried about other thing for example the education of the students, society, and the money that U.S. owns to other countrys. I believe even though they pull the wall there still going to be people, kids, teenagars crossing the wall.