Morton East military perform color guard, honor vets at West

Four+soldiers+from+Morton+East+including+%28left+to+right%29++Keone+Salgado%2C+Alex+Varela%2C+Aurelio+Servin+and+Jesus+Carrillo%2C+were+the+color+guard+at+West%27s+Veteran+Day+event.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Four soldiers from Morton East including (left to right)  Keone Salgado, Alex Varela, Aurelio Servin and Jesus Carrillo, were the color guard at West's Veteran Day event.

Four soldiers from Morton East including (left to right) Keone Salgado, Alex Varela, Aurelio Servin and Jesus Carrillo, were the color guard at West's Veteran Day event.

Jesus Carrillo and Kevin Dominguez

A Veteran’s Day event at Morton West paid homage to the veterans of the United States on November 12, 2018.   

The mayor of Lyons was present during the event. Four students from Morton East attended the event because they are currently enlisted in the United States Armed forces. A soldier who had attended and graduated from Morton had also attended the event. The event began at around 9 a.m. and ended at approximately 12:30 p.m. The four students from Morton East performed the Color Guard to commemorate the veterans that have served their country. They interacted with the students at Morton West to better inform them on what goes on in the United States Military.

“I thought the event was great. It was really thought out to honor the veterans,” said Aurelio Servin who was part of the four soldiers who attended the event.

He felt that it honored and paid homage to past veterans.

The Color Guard has been a very important part in honoring the veterans that have given their lives for the country of America,” said senior color guard member Jesus Carrillo.

This was a type of ritual that the military uses to honor their veterans.

“It was a good event that commemorates all the branches of the military.  It was also very informative for people who would want to become a part of the military,” said senior color guard member Keone Salgado.

6 Responses to “Morton East military perform color guard, honor vets at West”

1. Aurelio4 on January 8th, 2019 1:09 pm

I was a part of this post. This was a great event and many more like it would be great in the future years. Attending this was a nice experience and I would enjoy going to others like it.

2. Josue Puentes on January 9th, 2019 12:53 pm

This was very nice. Especially in a time where the youth dont seem to respect veterans as much as they used too. We should continue to respect the military veterans and active members who have fought for this country. I hope to one day be part of something like this.

3. Crystal Ramirez on January 10th, 2019 9:36 am

This specific event reminds me of both my aunts because they are both in the military. They are always traveling to places working hard. There are times when i know they have to leave there daughter with her grandma and i know there are times when shes misses them. But we should continue to respect the military and veterans

4. Leo Rodriguez on January 10th, 2019 10:58 am

My great uncle said that doing this for any part of your branch of military is an honor and that these students should be proud because it represents every branch of the military. He also had the chance to see his son do this for his school and was very proud of him because his family is a military family.

5. Armando Mendoza on February 12th, 2019 9:32 am

I personally think this was a great thing to do for our veterans, we rarely see respect and events to honor them for what they’re doing every single day to let us do whatever we want. Not only it’s just respecting the soldiers and veterans out there, but the ones who’ve passed protecting our country, and the families of the soldiers who have to deal with the emotions that come with it. Very happy to see this be done, it also should be done more regularly to spread the word on what they’re doing as said in the Article. It would be cool if the whole school could be there and see it.

6. Esmeralda Sanchez on February 12th, 2019 10:17 am

I would actually want to join the military and after seeing that the military is being honored is very pleasing. Something that had always bothered me was that many kids don’t care about the military and those who fight for our country and its sad. I love that west did that for them i really wish Morton east had ROTC it would be really great to be more part of the military. I really enjoyed reading about how these soldiers were honored in a great way, I wish to be a part of this someday.