History: scarier than Halloween?

Jasmine Bonilla, reporter

Have you ever stopped to think about the scariest events that have happened throughout history?

There are many events that are scary such as the Salem witch trials in which people were accused of witchcraft and then executed. Take for example the Cleveland Torso murders where twelve to twenty victims were decapitated — some amputated at the knees while still alive.  The identity of the killer is unknown.

The attacks of 9/11 left a nightmarish impression on students.

Their remains were disposed in the neighborhood of Kingsbury Run. Some of of the victims were never identified but it is still an ongoing case.

“One of the scariest events that I believe has happened in history is when Jamestown colonist turned to cannibalism in order to survive the hunger,” freshman history teacher Mr. Anthony Lacivita said.

Although there are different events that have frightened certain people there is one that is common at Morton East; students agreed that the attack of 9/11 is one of the scariest events. The attack on the twin towers and on the pentagon made people doubt their security.

“Certainly, the scariest thing I can think of is the terrorist attack of 9/11. Although I wasn’t old enough to live it, it’s something that can happen anywhere at any time and that truly is frightening. We never know when will be the last time we see loved ones and I think that’s the scariest part about it,” Senior Vanessa Miguel said.   

Also relating to unexpected casualties, the attack on Pearl Harbor was one that frightened many and left the United States no option but to respond to Japan’s attack.

“The nuclear bombing in Japan has to be the scariest because it has the potential of wiping out the entire world,” history teacher Mr. White said.

7 Responses to “History: scarier than Halloween?”

1. Alexia Hernandez on October 31st, 2018 9:37 am

I could see why many people think 9/11 is the scariest event in history but I think i agree more with Mr. Lacivita when he says people from Jamestown turning to cannibalism was frightening. I learned about the things that happened in Jamestown and it was honestly so disturbing. Personally, if you were to choose one event in history that actually scared you or disturbed you, what would you pick?

2. makaveli on October 31st, 2018 10:55 am

i agree that the cannibalism was freighting but i think that 911 was less freighting and more distorted. i think the witch trial is way more scary b cause random people would be executed if suspected. i learned about the trial on a YouTube video from buzzfeed.

3. Heriberto 3 on October 31st, 2018 11:38 am

I agree with the fact that 9/11 and pearl habor were both scary historical events. But also if we put ourselfs to think about what would have happened if those events were to have a different outcome, its scary to think about it. I also think that after Mr.white’s quote you could’ve explained a little about pearl harbor and what caused japan to bomb the US.

4. Luis Moreno on October 31st, 2018 11:47 am

There an plentiful events in U.S history that have depicted trauma and terror to the public, but if I had to pick the scariest event in U.S history, it would be the election of the 45th president.

5. Luis Moreno on October 31st, 2018 11:52 am

There are plentiful of events in U.S history that have depicted trauma and terror to the public, but if I had to pick the scariest event in U.S history it would be the election of the 45th president.

6. Angela Moran on November 6th, 2018 6:21 pm

I agree that some things are scarier than Halloween like 9/11 because the fact that it happened at such a random time makes you think twice about your safety. Also the bombing in Japan because Mr. White says that it had the potential to wipe out the entire world. What I think is one of the scariest though is what happened in Jamestown because people turning to cannibalism is a very scary thought. Then what I think is the scariest is the Cleveland Torso murders because twelve to twenty people were tortured by decapitating them and some amputated at their knees while still alive. The scariest part is that the killer is unknown.

7. Guadalupe Ramirez on November 9th, 2018 2:54 pm

I agree with your article. Although there has been several incidents and dramatic events within our history the 9/11 attack has been the one that impacted our society the most. Like you said it really did make the whole country question if we were really safe. Patriotically speaking it took the twin towers which was one of the parts that represented New York.

History: scarier than Halloween?