Nature is nearby and needed; take a walk

Isamar Urquizo, Reporter

Senior Isamar Urquizo took a walk down a path at the forest preserves near Westchester.   Close to Cicero, it still allows you to get away from the traffic, department stores, fast food chains and urgency of city life — and enjoy some beauty and peaceful quiet and calm.  

There are many different spots in our area where you could experience nature:

• One of the places that a lot of people go to is Starved Rock State Park. It is at 2678 E 875th Rd, in Oglesby Illinois. The park has a lot of activities including, boating, camping, fishing, hiking trails, hunting, and kayaking. The park is open from 6:30 am– 10 pm. The average fee for this park is from $25-$35 per person. 
  • Another nature place that I chose was the Millennium park located at 201 East Randolph street, in Chicago Illinois. There’s a lot of stuff you could do at his park, the average money that people waste in this park is around $25-$100, depending on what you spend it on. The park is open from 6 am-11 pm.
  •  Another good place to discover nature is the Lincoln Park Zoo located at 2001 N Clark St, in Chicago Illinois. You could visit this zoo any day from 10 am-5 pm, the entry is always free! 
  • The Chicago Botanic garden is one of the most beautiful places to explore! It is at 1000 Lake Cook Rd, in Glencoe IllinoisThey’re open every day from 8 am-3 pm, this is also a free place! 
  • Lastly, the Anderson Japanese garden is also an amazing and beautiful place to explore nature! It is at 318 spring creek Rd, in Rockford Illinois. It’s open every day from 9 am-5 pm, but it is currently close right now due to COVID-19. The tickets for adults are $11 and $10 for seniors. It is free for students and the military. 

According to Google, researchers suggest that spending outside reduces anger, fear, stress, and improves your physical, mental, emotional wellbeing. In a random survey on Instagram, 60% of the people who took it said that they like to experience nature. 

“It’s peaceful, you really get to really connect with yourself if there isn’t no distraction, almost in like a meditation way,” Morton East high schooler Jorge Castillo said. 

Other people around the area may have similar views on nature. Morton’s ecology club advisor Mr. Gonzalez is all about nature, and urges students to appreciate and enjoy it. 

“Experiencing nature firsthand offers everyone an individual experience. Where some may focus on one sense, others bring in all their senses to describe what they are going through. More importantly, observing things firsthand brings a balanced perspective. The sense of grandeur standing over the Grand Canyon or the deafening calls by macaw parrots in the jungle cannot be replaced by recording. Nature must be experienced to appreciate its value,” Ecology Club adviser Mr. Juan Gonzalez said.