“Joker” best movie of 2019

Jesus Martinez, Reporter

Joker was the most popular movie in 2019 for Morton East students.

In a random survey of “Which movies of 2019 have you heard of?” Morton East students/Cicero residents out of 100 responses, 86% said they’ve heard of Joker. From the IMDB Joker, the movie received 2 Oscar awards: Best actor and Best music score. Interestingly it is considered a very controversial movie by the press. According to Studiobinder, “Is Joker dangerous? The Joker movie controversy explained” by Kevin Severson said, “Joker deals with many thematically disturbing elements- mental health, political violence.” At the time before it was released, mental health and politics were big topics of discussion and who would exploit that? Well, the clown prince of crime of course!

I interviewed students to see what they think of the movie Joker by asking these questions.

1) Have you seen Joker?

“Yes I have seen Joker. I have even seen it a day after it’s released,” said senior student Isaac Hernandez.

“I have seen Joker, everybody has seen it,” said senior student Brain Mendez. 

“Yes I’ve seen Joker like 3 times,” said junior student Emily. 

2) What do you think of the movie if you have seen it?

“I thought it was dark, very dark having a character who has a mental illness, kills people, and starts a riot,” said Isaac Hernandez. 

“I think it was funny and dark at the same time. The humor better even in modern superhero movies, like Marvel is just cringey and unfunny but Joker it’s basic humor but it’s done in a better way. Also I find it dark too because like Joker is a messed up dude he tells himself that his life is a joke self-loathing type,” said Brain Mendez. 

“I say it’s dark and a bit funny. I understand that the older people watching it aren’t into the new Joker because Joker wasn’t always that dark, he was always seen as a goofy villain with tricks upon his sleeve but in time Joker changed into what we have now,” said Emily. 

Humorous yes, dark tone yes, it’s an odd bunch put together.

3) What do you think the movie is trying to say?

“I think the movie is trying to say that we should focus on mental health and people in poverty so that they won’t riot,” said Isaac Hernandez. 

“I truly think it’s telling us that if we don’t take care of society then it’ll lead to a riot,” said Brain Mendez.

“I think that Joker is telling us that in his viewpoint life is just a joke that nobody cares about each other and that society is messed up that’s what I think Joker himself is trying to inform us,” said Emily. 

I do too think it is telling us to take care of the unfortunate. I have asked a teacher about the movie Joker. 

“Unfortunately, I cannot help you out. I have never seen The Joker (2019). I am not sure why I did not go see it. I tend to like MCU heroes and movies better, but I do prefer Heath Ledger as the Joker in “The Dark Knight”,” said English teacher Noelle Lowther.

Although she hasn’t seen the movie, interestingly she prefers Heath Ledger to be a better  Joker in which I do think he is as well.

Understanding Joker is quite depressing and dark in which is why people saw it, it is based on a famous comic book villain. It’s dark and controversial, and everybody is talking about it. This is Jesus Martinez from the Morton Pony Express.