Morton East’s Day of Innovation showcases engineer experience

Angelica Contreras, Reporter

Morton East held the annual Day of Innovation virtually on April 29.  Here is what the teacher and student attendees had to say.

Despite the coronavirus pandemic, Morton East carried on with its plans of hosting the Day of Innovation. However, unlike the previous years, it was held virtually, a significant change for most students and staff since the event is designed to explore various innovations the engineering students came up with. Morton East’s policy involving the pandemic requires students and staff to keep wearing masks to ensure the safety of both parties, although most states around the country had lifted the mask mandate and some schools are resuming in-person operation. According to the Washington Post, a survey found that “More than half of fourth-graders living in rural areas or towns were enrolled in full-time, in-person programs. In suburbs, it was 36 percent, and in cities, just 25 percent.” Although there was a change in setting, the attendees had a different perspective.

“My experience was truly joyful! It never surprises me to see the amazing and innovative ideas of our Engineering students. Thank you to the students for allowing me to view their projects and provide feedback. Your futures are all looking very bright,” said math lead teacher James Dobrzanski.

In addition, another teacher enjoyed the content presented by students in this year’s Day of Innovation. “My favorite moment this year was seeing the pictures of Luna the chihuahua in the dog wheelchair,” said instructional coach Lauren Keppler.

Nevertheless, the event has a different significance as each presenter was to be graded for the student’s final assessment for the class.  Moreover, a student of this particular engineering class shared their perspective on presenting and the day itself.

“It was stressful yet pleasing to finish,” said senior student Jessica Moreno.