New building layout ensures safety

Alexander Amaya, Reporter

Our school made a new building layout to make their students safe at school.  

Do you feel safe at school? In a survey of 100 Morton East students, 32 students reported no. According to The Conversation.com, guns don’t make you safer. The higher the gun ownership rate, the more a country is susceptible to experiencing mass shooting incidents. They also say mass shootings are more frequent. Mass shootings increasing trend is moving in the opposite direction of overall intentional homicide rates in the U.S., which decreased by almost 50 percent since 1933. They mention restricting sales, this leads to restrictive gun licensing laws refer to a system in which individuals who want to purchase firearms must demonstrate to a licensing authority that they have valid reasons to get a gun like using it on a shooting range or going hunting and that they demonstrate “good character.” Background checks are also very important because individuals must prove that they do not belong to any “prohibited group,” such as the mentally ill, criminals, children or those at high risk of committing violent crime, such as individuals with a police record of threatening the life of another. Another interesting fact that stood out to me was that most mass shootings are not terrorism. Journalists sometimes describe mass shootings as domestic terrorism. There is no doubt that mass shootings are “terrifying” and “terrorize” the community where they have happened. However, not all active shooters involved in mass shooting have a political message or cause. 

“Buildings area layouts and the new school entry is for safety purposes in our school,” Dean Mr. Dougan said 

Our school is doing the most to keep their students safe at school. Making these layouts a certain way is a good idea to avoid a tragedy.  

“We are working with the Cicero Police Department,” Dean Mr. Dougan said 

We have police officers in our school, they could provide safety not just to our school but the community also. School shootings are well known around the U.S, but we hope it never leads up to that point. 

“School shootings are a thing and can happen at any time,” Senior Randy Calixto said