Career Profile: Web Developer

Izaiah Contreras, Reporter

the role of a web developer

https://orlandohamsho.com/web-development/the-role-of-a-web-developer/

Web Developers make the websites you use on a daily base like Instagram, YouTube, amazon. There are two types of developers:
front-end developers, (responsible for putting together website pages containing pictures, text, sizing and, links) and back-end developers (responsible for making the page interactive, making sure all the buttons work, and minor maintenance). Developers can either be found working from the comfort of their home, or at company’s headquarters, like Google’s alluring (attractive) “Googleplex” in Silicon Valley, California.

Who can do this?

The people doing this job enjoy puzzle solving and patterns and never-ending learning, being creative and open minded is the mindset.

What does it take?

You’ll need a computer and some basic HTML and CSS to get started and you’ll need to increase your skill set to increase your pay.

Where can you get it?

A small company, big company; this company, that company; one company, two companies. Basically any company or you can start your own the possibilities are endless

When can you do it?

As soon as you learn the 4 languages HTML, CSS, JQUERY, AND PYTHON.

Why should you do it?

It has excellent benefits like paid vacation time, retirement plans, and shows no signs of slowing down.

How much will you make?

Entry salary calculated to be roughly 20k annually, and the median salary is around 70k; Senior Developer/Full Stack Developers can look to cash in around 91k.

Traditional schooling is a choice but not required to work as a Web Developer. Many successful full-stack web developers are self-taught, the cheapest option being online schooling– ranging from nothing to a couple hundred dollars. Coming in for second, are local certificate programs such as the one offered at Morton for $1200. The Newest trend for Incoming Web Developers looking to skip the line are developer camps, you stay at one of the locations anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months prices ranging from $5k-$20k; they’re known for having a very positive outcome on the future of these developers.

To get a inside look as to what its like being a Web Developer I spoke with Siraj Racal a coding YouTuber and instructor.

What do you think is the best way for a student pursuing Web Development to get their foot in the door?

I think everyone should start small, write basic HTML and CSS, you know format and style for a website. Socializing with your classmates and professors is a good way to learn who does what and who’s, who.

What do you think is the most frustrating part of your job?

It’s a laid back job the thing i hate having to do is kill bug (lol) cause they frighten me. I try to take my time and ask for help when i hit a brick wall sometimes you just need to step away from the screen and take some time; it’s important to keep a good mindset.

How was your experience at school?

Well i’m no longer in school but it’s important to keep learning and stay up to date in this industry because we advance and things change all the time. School was tiring and intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it and create something you can use and be proud of, your hooked.

If there’s any advice you would give to a younger you what would it be?

To have fun, talk your tail off, and get into the community and meet people.