Opinion: Is it worth being attractive, with all this harassment?

Melissa Fregoso

Sexual harassment is all over the news, but who or what is to blame?

Women like to get all pretty up, put on some nice clothes, makeup, with their hair done and finish it up with some nice shoes. But, once they step out they end up getting harassed. Many girls complain that they can never get all dressed up without a guy harassing them. It has become the “thing”.

So why do women get all attractive if they don’t want to get harassed? One man recently asked this question to Chicago Tribune columnist Heidi Stevens.  She got pretty angry in her response, but gave it some solid thought:

“I don’t think we can have an honest conversation about sexual harassment and sexual assault right now without talking about all the ways we have taken women’s bodies and turned them into vessels,” Heidi Stevens (Chicago Tribune) answered.

I asked the same question to students and a community adult, and here’s what they said.

“Girls want to do it for themselves to feel better about themselves, to gain self-confidence,” sophomore Naomi Rico said.

And, another student agrees.

” To feel better about themselves and have a higher self-esteem,” senior Janeth Ceja said.

Others think that girls are influenced by society and the media.

” I feel like woman try to make themselves feel more attractive because they see the rest of the women that are on social media and see that they are considered “beautiful” and “perfect,” so I feel like that’s why women try to make themselves more attractive to feel like they’re enough for themselves and society,” junior Britney Soto said.

Other girls can be harsh on each other.

“Because women like to compete against each other also because society makes them feel bad and guilty if they don’t dress up pretty or girly. Girls get judged if they don’t look a certain way,” Community member Ely Fregoso said.

So, what do guys think?

“Well depends. Most girls do it because they are following the new trend of “society” where they need to dress up and go out on heels just so other guys can look at them. But, also due to a break up, sometimes girls decide to make themselves look more attractive to show their ex man what they’re missing out,” senior Moises Linares said.

So what do you think? Why do women get all attractive if they don’t want to get harassed?

4 Responses to “Opinion: Is it worth being attractive, with all this harassment?”

1. Kent Frankfother on December 21st, 2017 11:35 pm

I thought your article was great. You took s timely issue and made it REAL!

2. Yesenia Marquez on January 8th, 2018 1:23 pm

People take their time to get ready and attractive because they want to feel better about themselves and want to fit in with society but I think harassment can happen at any time even if someone does not get all attractive. It’s not fair for someone to be scared to get all pretty and wear nice clothes just because they feel that they’ll get harassed.

3. Vanessa Castro on May 7th, 2018 9:37 am

I believe girls tend to get dressed up to feel better about themselves, society is always judging those who are not in “trend” and in doing so it would normally bring down a girls self-esteem. Girls should be able to express themselves without being harassed, but there is a line on which should not be passed. Such as revealing clothes like “booty shorts,” crop tops that reveal heir entire stomach, which in my opinion they are calling out for attention or is just too confident of their body.

4. Xavier Ramirez on May 7th, 2018 12:02 pm

Women should be able to wear whatever they want to wear if that is what allows them to feel good about thems selfs they have not control over who they meet or see while they are out and about if they want to follow the new trend thats on them its what they want to do at this point women should wear what makes they feel good about them selfs who they meet along they way isnt going to change because of what they are wearing.