Is overdosing a norm? It seems scarily so

Harmful substances are taking over the youth.

In a survey of 148 Morton East students almost half of Morton East students know somebody that had an overdose. Many kids do drugs to prove a point to other people like their friends. Peer pressure is something that many teens are affected by because they feel like if they don’t do it they will be an outcast or they will be seen as lame or party popper. According to National Center for Health Statistics provisional counts of drug overdose deaths may underestimate the final counts primarily due to the omission of deaths pending investigation of the cause and manner of death. The degree of underestimation is likely greater for more recent months when the numbers of deaths pending investigation are highest. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse prescription drug misuse can have serious medical consequences. Increases in prescription drug misuse over the last 15 years are reflected in increased emergency room visits, overdose deaths associated with prescription drugs, and treatment admissions for prescription drug use disorders, the most severe form of which is addiction.

Overdosing is something that is serious and has serious side effects on many people.

“My cousin overdosed on pills and he was found dead in a hotel room and it has affected my family tremendously,”Senior Carmorroa Siggers said.

There are still hope for those who have been through overdosing.

“My aunt has an overdose but she survived it but she still  have side effects,” Anonymous student said.

Sometimes people recover well from an overdose and they change their life around.

“ My uncle had an overdose and now he has a good paying job and he hasn’t taken pills since,” senior Jackie Rodgriguez said

1 Comment

One Response to “Is overdosing a norm? It seems scarily so”

1. Sharik on September 19th, 2018 10:17 pm

The lead is pretty tepid and her boyfriend annoys me, but Rufus is GREAT. I really enjoyed the show”s aspect of showing a Nazi as a human being – a loving father and husband, but also scarily devoted body and soul to The Cause. And better yet, they invented the character for the show – he”s not in the book.