East majority against brain enhancing drugs

Itzel munoz and Lizeth Martinez

In a random survey of 100 of Morton Easts students, 75% said that they would never take brain enhancing drugs for their AP classes.

Adderall is a drug that is used in many children and adults to treat ADHD and other things like symptoms of narcolepsy that cause drowsiness and excessive sleepiness. This drug works by increasing levels of the brain chemical dopamine, which stimulates the brain. Sales of the drug jumped more than 3,000 percent from 2002 to 2006. In 2010 alone, the total number of Adderall prescriptions topped 18 million. However, doctors also prescribe the drug to children and adults who do not have ADHD. Unfortunately, this increased availability of Adderall has led to widespread abuse of this drug to help students in their school work. A study by Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, found that it was mainly young adults who were abusing this drug and taking it without prescription from a doctor. More than 20% acquire them through their family, almost 20% by means of fellow students, and merely 14.8% via a street dealer.

Senior student Alyssa Chavez thinks that students who abuse these drugs need help

“I don’t think it’s fair that these students who take these drugs are being able to pass their tests and remember things better because of these drugs. And it’s also a problem because it is an addiction, so they should get some help. Hopefully they can stop before this becomes a risk for them,” says Chavez.

Underclassmen Rodrigo Sanchez agrees with helping these students

“I think that these students should come out to get help. They will face consequences obviously, but they need to think about their health. Their health is most important and getting help will be beneficial in the long run and they will look back and be grateful,” says Sanchez.

Sophomore Chelsea Munoz couldn’t care less about this situation

“I don’t mind students who take these drugs because it’s their problem and it doesn’t really affect me, so they can do whatever they want,” Munoz says.

3 Responses to “East majority against brain enhancing drugs”

1. Juan lopez on May 10th, 2018 11:57 am

If anything the use of any type of mind enhancing drug should be illegal during an ap exam or any type of exam. Even more alarming the student or person taking the drug is putting their wealth in trouble only for an exam as sad in the passage,”Their health is most important and getting help will be beneficial in the long run and they will look back and be grateful.” So in reality Student shouldnt really do drugs just to pass the test. They should just accept their outcome of the test instead of doing a drug.

[Reply]

2. Julian Samano on May 10th, 2018 12:22 pm

I do not agree with the claim by Chavez saying I don’t think its fair that these students who take drugs are being able to pass their tests.” There are students who are diagnosed with ADHD and they are at a disadvantage when taking tests and that can be unfair as they were born with it or develop it as a child. Those with ADHD suffer from hyperactivity, drowsiness etc,. There are also normal people who simply cannot focus so they need to take a brain enhancing drug. Adderall will help those by giving them better concentration, ability to function and decrease exhaustion. But I also agree with the claim that “its also a problem because it is and addiction.” Millions of people use adderall with or without prescriptions and millions of people also abuse it.

[Reply]

Israel Estrada Reply:

Chavez isn’t talking about the kids that actually have ADHD, they are talking about the students that don’t have any symptoms but still use the drug for and unfair advantage in school. That’s why she’s saying that they need help because they became addicted to the drug. The students at use it but don’t have ADHD are just using it to get better grades on tests.

[Reply]