Career Profile: So, you want to be a Nurse?

Athziry Munoz

A nurse is a person who cares for the sick or infirm; specifically: a licensed health-care professional who practices independently or is supervised by a physician, surgeon, or dentist who is skilled in promoting and maintaining health. Some general tasks that are needed to be performed are taking physical exams and collect patient information. Also, provide medical treatment to patients, such as bandaging wounds or giving medication. A major task is to always keep patients updated/informed. You can find a nurse in many hospitals such as Rush Hospital.

Who can do this? → Someone who has good communication skills. Lots and lots of patience.

What does it take? → Bachelors degree

Where can you get it? → Community college

When can you do it? → 2-year college or Technical Training

Why should you do it? → You get to help lots of people get better.

How much will you make?→ Starting salary: $44, 343

Median salary(6-10 years): $57, 882,    After 10 years: $70,000

Many private and public universities in Illinois offer a three-year bachelor’s degree in nursing. The least expensive tuition is at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville for an average tuition of $9,442. If living on campus it would be an extra $3,000 per semester. However, Triton College is one community college who offers an Associates Degree in nursing. Tuition at Triton college college for out-of-district nursing would be $335 per semester hour. In a private college such as Chamberlain College of Nursing in Illinois is $18,630 per year. Meanwhile, at Morton college in addition to tuition and regular fees, the registered nursing student has the minimum fees and expenses at $2,401 per semester.

Mateo Betanzos  specializes in Nurse Practitioner in Chicago area, and has over 5 years of experience in the field of medicine. He is affiliated with numerous hospitals, including John H Stroger Jr Hospital (IL) and more.

Q: Tell me about your job. Is what you do different in any way from what other in your occupation?

A: I am a Primary care nurse Practitioner, a focus on primary care, HIV and LGBT -with the main goal of prevention of new HIV infections and the spread of sexual transmitted diseases.

Q: Can you tell me about your background and how you got into this field?

A: I studied my grammar school in Mexico. Then started freshman year in high school.  (As for my career), I first obtained my License Practical nurse in 1997 as an Army nurse. Then obtained my bachelors and masters degree from Olivet Nazarene University. After working for 17 years in the Cook county trauma/emergency room, I then moved to work in what I do now.

Q: What personal characteristics are required for someone to be successful in your job?

A: The main personal characteristics are empathy, patience, common sense, and a desire to help others that are in great need of physical or emotional distress.

Q: How much security is there for people in your field?

A: Job security is no problem- it is projected that the healthcare industry will need over 100,000 nurses and nurse practitioner to fulfill healthcare needs.

Q: What other jobs could you do with the skills you have gained in this field?

A: I could work in factories, cruise ships, schools, clinics, hospitals, peoples houses, and in other countries. I could work for companies that promote medications, hospital equipment, or become a speaker for new products related to health care industry.

Q: What do you think the future holds for people in your occupation?

A: The future for my occupation is very promising and optimistic with a lack of medical doctors. Nurse practitioners are a fulfilling need.

2 Responses to “Career Profile: So, you want to be a Nurse?”

1. anonymous on May 7th, 2018 9:32 am

This article was really helpful because I want to be a nurse in the future so this article taught me what I will have to do and stuff in order to become a nurse in the future. I also liked the background information of like what a nurse is, what is needed and the interview with Mateo. I definitely recommend this article to anyone who wants to be nurse or is looking into their careers.

2. Alexa Ramos on May 7th, 2018 2:18 pm

Excellent work! I want to work in the medical field, but i am unsure on what exact career I want to pursue. In the beginning I wanted to become a veterinarian, but I knew I wanted to do something big, like saving people’s lives. After reading this article, I’ll add nurse practitioner to the list of careers I would plan on pursuing. I learned a lot from this article, I didn’t know you could work in cruise ships and in other countries. I love traveling so this job might help me out on that whenever I feel like visiting Africa or France. What worries me deeply, is how much the tuition is. I hope by the time I graduate from high-school, I will have enough to pay for at least two years.