What happens when you’re “OTS” and a teacher catches on?

Izaiah Contreras, Reporter

Legally the school can check vitals if a student is suspected of smoking marijuana.

Roughly three students every week are caught high according to the Morton East dean’s office. With these rules constantly being broken some might wonder “what happens when your caught high in school?” Before we get into talking about what happens when you’re caught, let’s talk about the warning signs. Teachers look at the eyes and odor, as the biggest give away.

Speaking to teachers about their honest opinion on cannabis revealed that some teachers also have different views on the matter.

“I look for small eyes, creativity and, a good sense of humor (when looking for warning signs of high students),” an anonymous teacher said.

Many students have gone to the office at least once for suspicion of intoxication (being high/drunk), but for those that haven’t might wonder what happens.  A senior recalled the time he got called in.

“The deans emptied my bag, and one dean even smelled my hands and shirt; it was weird,” an anonymous senior boy said.

Sometimes, students are sent to the nurse if suspected of being under the influence.

“They take you to the nurse and check your vitals,” senior nurse’s aide Carmorroa Siggers said.

If the vitals come back positive – meaning the student is high, what happens then?

“We check them out; if they are, we call home and suspend them depending on how many times they’ve done it. If they’re carrying we have to get the cops involved,” Dean Ms. Rzadzki said.

Cannabis is real drug and is harmful. Many downplay the side effects of cannabis especially with recent efforts to make the drug recreational in all states, but it’s a real drug with short-term side effects ranging from lowered reaction time and short-term memory and long-term effects like damage to the bronchial passages and the lungs. Cannabis in the hands of students with developing minds can be harmful, a teacher told me their worst case was a seventh grader smoking pot in the bathroom. Others worry about with recent recreational use; big companies will start altering the cannabis and it will eventually become addictive like cigarettes and sugar.

15 Responses to “What happens when you’re “OTS” and a teacher catches on?”

1. Monico Martinez on May 7th, 2018 8:28 am

It’s crazy how students come HIGH to high school. They should leave their hobbies out of school. Some people can see them as distractions . Hopefully the numbers go down and people learn

2. Carlos L on May 7th, 2018 8:36 am

I have never been sent to the office for being high but I wish that never happens. I agree with the idea that if weed becomes recreational big companies will make it more addictive. Either way, weed doesnt belong in school.

3. Daniel Calderon on May 7th, 2018 8:48 am

You know, i see more than three students a week high as heck. It’s really funny (although i shouldn’t be finding this funny) when they get into argument with teachers because they are high and they feel smarter, and they actually manage to stumble the teacher.

4. Elisa R Chavez on May 7th, 2018 9:41 am

My question in the first place is why do these children have to resort to drugs at all. Most proabably have some problem at home or in their social life. The best way to curve drugs would probably help students with stress or issues in their lives. I once told one of my friends if you want to get away from reality for a while take a nap, and if you want to change your reality permanently make an effort to make it better yourself, you have the power to do so without the help of a drug.

5. Kiara on May 7th, 2018 9:42 am

I don’t think there is much wrong with getting high on your own time, but coming high to school is so stupid. Students act like they aren’t going to get caught when they are saying dumb things, hangs bloodshot red eyes, smell like weed, and can’t evwn open there eyes. And even if a student was to “get away” with it. Then there are lame students that walk around telling everyone, “dude im so high right now”. Obviously someone is going to find out when you are going around school bragging like it’s cool to ruin your future.

6. Nancy B on May 7th, 2018 9:44 am

I do believe that the drug can be easy to get and as years go by, there is younger kids getting involved with it. I think it’s a good idea that the school can try to do something about it for the student’s health. Some don’t understand what the damages are or they just do it to seem “cool” which there is nothing cool about it.

7. Marco A Gonzalez on May 7th, 2018 9:49 am

Even though I don’t smoke, I support the recreational use of marijuana. However, there’s a certain time, place and way to use it. These kids are getting high in school so they seem “cool”, but they’re not gonna think it’s cool when they don’t learn anything, drop out and get some fufu job or no job at all. It’s a pretty annoying thing to deal with when you’re trying to focus and some random dude is bothering you, asking if you want to get gone later.

8. Lluvia Ramos on May 7th, 2018 9:49 am

Attending school high is not the best thing to do might as well stay home. Your mind isn’t focused and you risk getting caught and get yourself into trouble. You shouldn’t get high at all but if you are why not stick to only doing it on weekends so that your mind is set to education through out the weekdays.

9. Hugo on May 7th, 2018 11:55 am

I honestly think it’s a good thing that teachers check for signs like this if students are suspected. If this whole thing was ignored more people would probably be high at school. It would make the school feel like an unprofessional school. I also wonder if the principle should put stricter rules on this since students still do cannibis even with some rules intact.

10. Collin Ruiz on May 7th, 2018 11:55 am

I’ve seen people completely sober get suspended for suspicion of being under the influence. I think there should be better ways to confirm if someone is high or not, so if someone is at the wrong place at the wrong time, they don’t suffer for it. I wouldn’t want to get in trouble for showing signs of “creativity and, a good sense of humor,” nor would any fellow students.

11. Michelle Soliz on May 7th, 2018 11:58 am

Personally, I don’t know what type of person is brave enough to get high, especially come to school like that. Of course people are going to do it especially when people have friends who pressure them into doing it, whether it being inside of school or out. But people have to understand there is rules and they can not be broken. If they are broken they can get themselves in trouble or other people. I believe it is fair to help teachers and help them take these kids to either get help or convince them to quit smoking. I can not believe that kids who are only 11 or 13 be smoking IN school, these kids who are caught are spreading this image to the younger kids. Which isn’t a good thing in my opinion.

12. Angel D on May 7th, 2018 2:06 pm

I believe that these students should not only get suspended but should serve a more severe punishment for being “ots”. Being high or drunk during school can hinder learning and might even cause problems. Also, many people can be pressured to do these types of things since it’s a common thing in morton. Another alternative to this behavior is upgrading security to stay alert for these types of things or, as done in the freshman center, bring surprise inspections with security dogs. This can even be a national problem with students since its become a common thing.

13. Cris on May 7th, 2018 2:12 pm

I agree with the consequences given out to students caught under the influence since they clearly know that it’s against regulation to do so specially in school. They knew what they were getting into and who knows how bad the drug can affect their decision making causing greater problems.

14. Mya Miranda on May 10th, 2018 11:48 am

The use of drugs is becoming more and more popular within the adolescent community, especially in high school. Within the community we live in and the influence from movies or social media, there’s a growing use of drugs, especially marijuana. It’s irresponsible for students to be using drugs in school or coming into school. It’s a sign of disrespect for teachers and everyone around you. There are cases where students under the influence distract the classroom activities and their peers. It might be legal in states like Colorado and California, but not here.

15. Miguel R. on May 10th, 2018 12:15 pm

Marijuana in school is starting to become a major problem. With students coming to school high, which limits their cognitive functions, they might not as well go to school since they will be more of a distraction due to the fact that they will have a more care free attitude. Marijuana also have negative affects such as short and long term memory effects and damage to our bronchi and lungs. With peer pressure becoming a contributing factor for people to dabble with marijuana, repercussions should be increased since it will force people to decide whether they want to be cool or if they want to be a respectable person.