Morton’s newest sports addition: girls’ rugby

After 124 years, J. Sterling Morton East High School decides to add a girls rugby team.

Morton East isn’t the first school to get a rugby team; Summit High School girls rugby has been competing against other schools and playing a tough game. Summit High School has made a Facebook page in order for friends and family to stay updated with wins and losses. Summit high school is one of many schools to be able to compete against other teams (so far being 8) and experiencing what Morton has yet to experience. The United States has competed in the international games for girls rugby and ranked fourth out of all teams.

“Me being in rugby, it has taught me a lot about respect and friendship, I can’t wait for the girls to enjoy their first season ever and start a new legacy for Morton, I’m for sure a supporter of the girls rugby team!” said senior rugby player Jose Moreno.

Many girls were excited to be apart of the girls rugby team, especially for some senior girls.

“Since it was my last year being here, I really wanted to be on the team.  I feel like it’s cool for girls to be able to be aggressive in a sport,” senior Tania Acosta said.

However, due to the high demand of girls that wanted to be on the team, cuts had to be made and specific traits had to be met in order to make the team.

“Our coach Santi said we need to have an attitude, good sportsmanship and willingness to do anything,” senior Jennifer Nunez said.

So many girls decided to take on the opportunity of a new upcoming sport, it was overwhelming.  

“They didn’t wanna make one because I guess they think that girls wouldn’t join, but it was the complete opposite; there were like 200 girls from each school (Morton campus),” senior Cynthia Heredia said.

Like it was said before, girls in fact did want to join a contact sport like rugby, especially those who were a part of other sports.  

“I was in powderpuff, and I missed being on a team and since it was the first year of girls rugby I thought it would be a nice experience. We practice Wednesdays and Fridays at Morton FC and Saturdays  we practice at Morton West. We run a lot and he makes us do a lot of stretches, warm-ups and he makes us do drills to learn how to throw the ball and catch it. Cuts are based on attendance and requirements like the physical, and if you know what you’re doing, basically.  (The coach) wants people with good condition and discipline,” senior Eve Molly said.

31 Responses to “Morton’s newest sports addition: girls’ rugby”

1. juan luis hernandez on April 16th, 2018 10:09 am

i love life, i love pony express, i love mortons lunch

2. Flores on April 16th, 2018 1:40 pm

Better get them Ws🤘🏼 Soccer is better tho. 😹

3. Monico Martinez on May 7th, 2018 8:23 am

The addition of girl’s rugby to morton was a great addition. I see how the girls enjoy the sport and like contact, when I watched one of their games. It’s good to see change.

4. Abigail Villasana on May 7th, 2018 8:25 am

I’m so excited about this new addition to the sports here at Morton. I like how now they allow a sport where girls can play rough and have fun. I think that the addition will sprout a higher number of girls at tryouts in the future since there were a lot for the first year, which I think is amazing

5. Carlos L on May 7th, 2018 8:31 am

I think the addition of girls rugby was great. The girls needed a sport where they can be aggressive. I think this gives plenty girls to play a tough sport and show they’re strong.

6. Guadalupe Diaz on May 7th, 2018 8:35 am

I’m extremely glad our school is incorporating sports that can be played by both genders. Rugby has been known to be a ‘male’ sport, but having a girl’s rugby changes the game. Many girls like to be involved in competitive sports. Therefore having a new sport open for girls gives them the opportunity to expose themselves to something new and show school pride through it.

7. Nancy B on May 7th, 2018 9:33 am

I think its fascinating that there is now a girl’s rugby team. I feel like girls sometimes don’t have many sport options just because they are girls. Getting a chance to show that rugby isn’t a sport just for males is a good thing. Hopefully the season goes well and it continues to grow as the years go by.

8. Jimmy Aguirre on May 7th, 2018 9:34 am

It’s an extraordinary thing that there has been an addition of rugby for the sports that girls can play at Morton. I know for a fact that my friends in rugby enjoy playing in the games because it’s fun. When they won their first game the hype around it all was such an amazing experience because they were proud of their achievement.

9. Fredy on May 7th, 2018 9:35 am

I am exctited to see what these girls could bring to Morton. It was already a win for Morton and these girls as they finally made a girls rugby team. I feel like they could bring just as much recognition and excitement as the boy’s team. I wish the girls best of luck on their season and upcoming ones.

10. Izaithell Aguirre on May 7th, 2018 9:37 am

I believe that this sport has brought many girls together. I understand what the girls mean about friendship and respect because that is what it takes to work as a team. Their bond is one of a kind and it’s wonderful to have a team that feels like family. Keep on working hard and always try your best. You girls are amazing!

11. Melanie on May 7th, 2018 9:41 am

I think it’s great that Morton finally has a girls rugby team. The girls are working so hard and doing so great! So many girls wanted to be apart of them team and i think it’s amazing that there were so many that tried out. It’s funny how the school thought that girls wouldn’t want to join rugby, but they were proven very wrong.

12. jose on May 7th, 2018 9:42 am

Im happy that girls are getting more sports. Girls in sports is getting more popular, girls couldn’t even play sports and with time they are getting more and more teams for girls to join. Hopefully they do good in the season. Eventually girls will play the same sports that guys play and have.

13. Jesus Vega on May 7th, 2018 9:43 am

I think it’s great for Morton to implement a girls rugby team. It’s something new for the girls. And the fact that a lot of girls wanted to join was insane. Hopefully throughout the years, the team could improve and be number one.

14. Jessica on May 7th, 2018 9:51 am

I think it’s amazing the fact that Morton decided to add a new sport one which has been highly requested for some time. Girls rugby is a tougher sport involving more aggressiveness than any other girls sports and it showcases how girls can be as tough of a player. I think many students including me personally will enjoy watching the girls play.

15. Felipe on May 7th, 2018 10:39 am

I think its great that Morton is allowing girls to participate in physical sports like rugby. A lot of people have a stereotype that women wouldnt like contact and agression sports but now with the rugby team that stereotype has been disproved. Hopefully the girls go on to have a greaet season!

16. Eduardo Flores on May 7th, 2018 10:43 am

I think this is a great chance for girl to prove they can be ass strong and good like the boys if not better then some. This is another step closer to gender equality on schools sports and anything in school. i personally love the sport and i think its very interesting but i would not play it because it seems likes it can be very dangerous. If you go up against a big guy you can really get hurt😓😂😂.

17. Alexis Ayala on May 7th, 2018 10:48 am

I think the addition of the Morton Rugby for girls was pretty cool. Not only do they have another sport to try out, but they also made it so that girls don’t feel left out. I personally don’t get how rugby works, nor like it, but I think its pretty cool. They might not be the best, but there is always time for improvement. Plus, it’s their first year, and maybe a first time for many girls, so we will see how it turns out. Maybe even girls football team comes up in the future.

18. Jocelyn Rios on May 7th, 2018 10:48 am

This is one of the many amazing things district 201 has done in the previous years! it’s awesome that they are finally taking girls into consideration when it comes to the “ruff and hard” sports. i wonder what is going to be next, are they finally going to include a boys badminton team? i feel that in every sport that they have, they should be able to include both a boys and girls team so no one get’s left out. 😁😁😁

19. Emily on May 7th, 2018 10:51 am

I heard a lot of great things about the addition of the girls rugby team. It is great that Morton finally initiated a new sport for the female students, it is a great way for many to have fun and be part of the schools community. Hopefully throughout the years more female students are willing to participate in rugby.

20. monika on May 7th, 2018 10:54 am

I think that it was good thing that Morton decided to have a girls rugby team because that way girls can learn about it and know how to have fun while being aggressive. Being in a sport is a really fun experience so I’m glad that the girls felt excited to make the team. I was shocked at how many girls from each campus wanted to try out. I also support the team and hope to be able to see them complete. I’m looking forward for next years season.

21. Anahy Medina on May 7th, 2018 10:59 am

The idea of having a girls rugby team is magnificent. It gives the girls a chance to show what they’re made of. They can act aggressive in the team and show they are proud of themselves. It’s amazing to have found out that there were many girls who were willing to try it out and get a whole experience of it. It can be challenging, but if they show all their might, they can win games. It also amazing to find that there are other high schools who are willing to change the sport for many others to participate in.

22. Maya P. on May 7th, 2018 10:59 am

I think it was a great opportunity to let multiple girls experience what it’s like to be in a more , as said aggressive sport. Rugby isn’t like all other sports but are similar to some. It’s great for all the girls who weren’t afraid to tryout because it was the first year we ever had an actual girl rugby team, they got to know what coaches were looking for and that could have possibly been helpful for some girls next year! I wanted to join but my soccer season fell around the same time as tryouts so I thought I’d maybe give it a try for my junior year.

23. Johnny Barrios on May 7th, 2018 11:43 am

Well I think that it wonderful to see many girls joining the rugby team. Many people may argue that its a mens sport, but its not; its about the person playing of any gender. Furthermore, I believe that having the new team it’s great because Morton should have the same opportunities as anyone else (meaning other schools). Moreover, I think that having cuts in the team was necessary because the about of girls wanting to be part of the team were there. For the girls who didn’t make the team, good luck next year. Next, it’s wonderful to see people who want to try something new even if they feel naive.

24. Michelle Soliz on May 7th, 2018 11:46 am

I am so glad they added this new addition to the sports we have here at Morton. Although, many people would think that Rugby is only for boys, but now Morton Rugby girls can prove all those people wrong. I am so happy girls would continue to play this sport with so much love, although it being so aggressive. For upcoming years, like the the new freshmen would be able to have this choice in sports, which is a good experience for them to have in their fresh new year of HIGH SCHOOL!

25. Adriana Sanchez on May 7th, 2018 12:05 pm

I think it is amazing that there is now a girls rugby team. Many girl were really ecstatic about trying out. I think the girls rugby team will succeed a lot and it will be a great cause for girls to come together as a whole. Hopefully this will help bring down the stereotype of boys being the only ones who can play rough sports while girls are supposed to be doing something easy and not rough. My best wishes to the girls who made the team and I’m glad that many girls tried out.

26. Dayanna Gonzalez on May 7th, 2018 2:05 pm

i love the fact that morton is trying something new. it gives me joy that so many girls wanted to take a new “journey”or “route”and join rugby. i would’ve loved to join rugby but soccer season is the same season as rugby. the only this that i don’t like about the rugby team is that it look a lot of girls away from soccer, and the fact that there aren’t as many schools that have a girls rugby team to go against. i heard that the girls have to travel up to 2 hours sometimes for games.

27. Berenice Anaya on May 7th, 2018 2:25 pm

The addition of the girl’s rugby team to Morton’s sports is amazing.Everyone deserves a chance to be part on something great. Finally the school is catching up on it’s sportsmanship.Another thing that is great is that the coaches want to make the team as great as it can as well as the girls wanting to join. The requirements are or should be the requirements for every sport because one can be great at the sport but be awful at team work.

28. Bernardo Luviano on May 7th, 2018 2:29 pm

I was truly impressed with this article due to the spectacular use of personal accounts from students at this school who were intrigued, or taking part in the girl’s rugby team. I think it is brilliant to allow girls to participate in such sports as rugby in order to expand their horizons and allow them to explore new passions. It’s great to see that girls want to try and get involved in more male dominated sports as it sends the message that girls deserve the same opportunities as boys, and going beyond just high school sports, and into the workforce. I’m excited to see girls indulge in this sport and hopefully succeed in what can be a very challenging sport.

29. Lizbeth Ruiz on May 8th, 2018 11:04 am

When i was in the freshman center during the club fair i went up to the table of the rugby team and their i asked about information about the sport but it was told to me that they didnt accept girls. And with all of this nonsense of girls not being able to handle a contact sport because we dont want to get our “hands dirty” it comes as a reassuring moment to me by how schools like ours are changing and breaking barriers for girls. I hope that more throughout the future girls can be apart of more sports and other activities where they were once not welcomed in. It truly is becoming a new age for equality even though not all limits have been broken the baby steps we are all taking are enough to get the conversation going and make changes. For now though I believe the morton girls rugby team will make ground breaking achievements and show everyone what girls are made of. Im also glad to hear many attended the first meeting because they also believe they can handle a contact sport.

30. Alexander Roldan on May 9th, 2018 7:34 pm

I think it is completely fantastic that the girls get to be just as aggressive as the boys. It shows great character along with pride. I’m proud of the girls and how far they pushed for their wishes to come true. Morton has had many great accomplishments and this is one. Its great to see that students can come together to create such positivity.

31. Diana on May 10th, 2018 12:11 pm

After so many years there’s finally a sport where girls can show that they are strong as boys are. The creation of this sport was a great idea because it gives many girls the opportunity to show their great potential. As a manager for girls rugby I can honestly say that the girls put in all their effort in every practice and games we have. They really try their best to make Morton proud of them. They represent that girls can join any sport and that it isnt about being one gender only.