Morton for greater gun restrictions

Morton East agrees there should be more gun restrictions.

On Wednesday, March 14, Morton East students stood up for what they believed is right. They stood outside for 17 minutes, each minute representing all of the 17 lives lost at the Parkland High School Shooting that took place on February 14th of 2018. The protest was to show that we need more restrictions on guns, so that its harder for people to acquire guns. The shooting made a movement throughout the US because just entering into 2018 there were various school shootings — higher than any other year in record history.

On Tuesday, March 13, according to the Chicago Tribune, Republican Governor Bruce Rauner vetoed a bill that would have required the state to license and regulate gun shops, drawing sharp criticism from Democrats who contended the decision was designed to appeal to conservative voters ahead of next week’s primary election. Though the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives already licenses gun shops, critics have said those efforts don’t go far enough. They say the agency doesn’t have enough agents to properly inspect firearms dealers in Illinois and Indiana. They point to data that show a large percentage of weapons found at crime scenes in Illinois come from a handful of sellers.   Under federal rules, sellers must conduct background checks on those seeking to buy firearms, keep transaction records so guns used in crimes can be traced to their point of purchase, and make sure that safety locks are provided with every handgun. The stores also are subject to inspections.

The proposed state rules would be more restrictive. Anyone who sells, leases or transfers 10 or more firearms a year would have to be licensed by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation, a cost that would be limited to $1,000 every five years.  Dealers and their employees would have to take training to make sure they know how to properly conduct background checks, store guns, prevent thefts and thwart straw purchases, in which someone buys a gun on behalf of a person who is barred from doing so.  Retailers also would be required to install video surveillance systems and conduct more regular inventory.   Before they could receive a license, sellers would have to pass an inspection and obtain written approval from their county sheriff. Owners and employees would also be required to pass the same background checks as those seeking to make a purchase, and state regulators could require workers to undergo fingerprinting, provide a recent photograph and sign a release for other records.  Big-box retailers where gun sales make up less than 20 percent of overall sales would be exempt, which has prompted some to argue the measure would harm smaller, independent business owners.

Junior Avigail Bailon thought the walkout was a success.

“I think personally it was a success that we had a lot of people motivated and a lot of people learned why we people and the reason why we walked out,” Bailon said.

Principal Gamboa thought it was a good thing for the students to speak, however the students we’re putting their safety in danger.

“It’s not very safe when my students walkout unto the middle of the streets and outside of the building especially when I can’t secure that,” Gamboa said.

Assistant Principal Bogardt is for gun control.

“I don’t know all the processes that goes into buying it I think that their should be sufficient background check and age limit,” Borgardt said.