Morton for greater gun restrictions

Morton East agrees there should be more gun restrictions.

On Wednesday, March 14, Morton East students stood up for what they believed is right. They stood outside for 17 minutes, each minute representing all of the 17 lives lost at the Parkland High School Shooting that took place on February 14th of 2018. The protest was to show that we need more restrictions on guns, so that its harder for people to acquire guns. The shooting made a movement throughout the US because just entering into 2018 there were various school shootings — higher than any other year in record history.

On Tuesday, March 13, according to the Chicago Tribune, Republican Governor Bruce Rauner vetoed a bill that would have required the state to license and regulate gun shops, drawing sharp criticism from Democrats who contended the decision was designed to appeal to conservative voters ahead of next week’s primary election. Though the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives already licenses gun shops, critics have said those efforts don’t go far enough. They say the agency doesn’t have enough agents to properly inspect firearms dealers in Illinois and Indiana. They point to data that show a large percentage of weapons found at crime scenes in Illinois come from a handful of sellers.   Under federal rules, sellers must conduct background checks on those seeking to buy firearms, keep transaction records so guns used in crimes can be traced to their point of purchase, and make sure that safety locks are provided with every handgun. The stores also are subject to inspections.

The proposed state rules would be more restrictive. Anyone who sells, leases or transfers 10 or more firearms a year would have to be licensed by the Illinois Department of Financial & Professional Regulation, a cost that would be limited to $1,000 every five years.  Dealers and their employees would have to take training to make sure they know how to properly conduct background checks, store guns, prevent thefts and thwart straw purchases, in which someone buys a gun on behalf of a person who is barred from doing so.  Retailers also would be required to install video surveillance systems and conduct more regular inventory.   Before they could receive a license, sellers would have to pass an inspection and obtain written approval from their county sheriff. Owners and employees would also be required to pass the same background checks as those seeking to make a purchase, and state regulators could require workers to undergo fingerprinting, provide a recent photograph and sign a release for other records.  Big-box retailers where gun sales make up less than 20 percent of overall sales would be exempt, which has prompted some to argue the measure would harm smaller, independent business owners.

Junior Avigail Bailon thought the walkout was a success.

“I think personally it was a success that we had a lot of people motivated and a lot of people learned why we people and the reason why we walked out,” Bailon said.

Principal Gamboa thought it was a good thing for the students to speak, however the students we’re putting their safety in danger.

“It’s not very safe when my students walkout unto the middle of the streets and outside of the building especially when I can’t secure that,” Gamboa said.

Assistant Principal Bogardt is for gun control.

“I don’t know all the processes that goes into buying it I think that their should be sufficient background check and age limit,” Borgardt said.

15 Responses to “Morton for greater gun restrictions”

1. Jorge Ochoa on May 7th, 2018 8:48 am

Its nice to see that we as students are standing up and expressing or right to protest against unregulated gun laws which seemingly never change even after school shooting events which could have been prevented had there been much stricter gun control in place. We are the future of this nation and we should be taking great strides to ensure a better future for all of us.

[Reply]

2. Elisa R Chavez on May 7th, 2018 9:33 am

A lot of protests similar to the one at morton have been happening a lot more recently. I saw on the news that one school planned to walk out then go to a protest in the city after the walk out. What bothers me the most about these walk outs though is that most of the people involved have no idea about guns or the currents laws that do regulate gun controls. These restrictions only really apply to people who actually follow the law, it does nothing to stop illegal purchases. One of the ways to make to make the common people lose power is to remove their right to bear arms. These more restrictive laws could end up hurting us instead.

[Reply]

3. Jessica on May 7th, 2018 9:52 am

I think it’s a good thing many students are speaking their voices about issues that are affecting us. It was also pretty amazing the huge number of students who participated in this walkout. Teachers should also acknowledge those opinions and schools should hear and make changes as time goes on.

[Reply]

4. jose on May 7th, 2018 9:56 am

I think that the standing outside is a good thing Morton students did. I did not personally do it because i felt like it wasn’t going to do much except maybe give me a detention but it was a good thing to do. I think that guns and drugs are problems in schools that need to be fixed and i am glad students are trying to fix the gun problem. Hopefully with the things the state is doing the gun problem gets better and the amount of people that are not supposed to have guns lowers.

[Reply]

5. Felipe on May 7th, 2018 10:48 am

It is an incredible thing that all these students walked out and showed that they had a voice and wanted change. Gun reform is dier if society wants to advance, all the school shooting occuring could have been prevented with simple background checks and stricter gun laws. Its unfortanute but hopefully the student protests can cause a change in because a student should always feel safe in school and not fear for their lifes.

[Reply]

6. Jorge Jimenez on May 7th, 2018 10:55 am

I agree that there should be more gun restrictions now. I think with the situation that we are in now, the school shootings and gun violence, that guns should be more difficult to get and only those that can be trusted can carry them. Now many people can have many kinds of guns and it can scare people. People don’t know what could be happening and end up in the middle of a shoot out. Us children and teenagers can be absolutely frightened that we do not want to go outside due to the violence.

[Reply]

7. Bernardo Corral on May 7th, 2018 10:58 am

Guns shouldn’t even been made if were having trouble at this day and age🔫🙅🏿‍♂️. The problem with America is that the government donar have stricter gun control and the NRA is not even helping with the recent gun shooting😤😤. What we really need is more sensible people at congress and less males because the more recent shooting are caused by XY chromosome species🤝👌🏾

[Reply]

8. Hugo on May 7th, 2018 11:50 am

I only agree with a theory of gun restriction, not everyone should be able to get a gun in a span of 5 minutes but that doesn’t mean we should have the strictest gun laws that it would take almost weeks to acquire one. If a law like that was passed it would not do much as shown in Chicago where the city has the strictest gun laws but there is a shooting almost everyday. Also protesting for 17 minutes outside would not do much to help change anything, if you really wanted change you would have to have every school in America protest and for much longer.

[Reply]

9. Julian Andraca on May 7th, 2018 12:11 pm

The bill talked about in this article is probably one of the most reasonable ideas I’ve ever heard. Many students would just talk about how schools just need metal detectors to prevent shootings in schools, but that doesn’t necessarily cut it considering how more than half of the students in school just let friends, students, and strangers through the door without putting into consideration about how they might be a threat. The bill here really explains how unlicensed selling of gun should be handled in the court of law and it really shows that this is a viable solution, instead of banning guns altogether. Feel free to let me hear your opinion.

[Reply]

10. Estephanie B. on May 7th, 2018 2:13 pm

I agree that Illinois should have stronger gun restrictions. Guns are something that have the likelihood of doing something horrible, killing another human-being and because of that they should be restricted. Having greater gun control will help Illinois become a safer place for its children, students and citizens. We would be more capable of walking to school with no fear of one day being inside of a shooting, just like the many horrible ones we have had in the past. We will be able to avoid school shootings from happening in the future, and that will all be possible with stricter gun restrictions.

[Reply]

11. Luis Mota on May 7th, 2018 2:16 pm

It’s awesome to see that students are using their voices to speak out on what they believe in. Things need to be changed and we can’t just sit around and stay quiet anymore. The more people speak their minds the more chance we have at having a safer future for everyone.

[Reply]

12. Jonathan on May 7th, 2018 2:27 pm

I honestly think that this is a huge step forward, we need stricter gun control laws in order to stop all the unnecessary killings that go on. By employing stricter gun laws it will prove harder for people to just go in and purchase a gun, now they will be subject to background checks so therefore only responsible people will be able to carry and use a gun instead of those who abuse the gun laws. This would be a very effective measure to decrease the number of gun related accidents and mass shootings that occur. The government should try harder to enforce these laws in order to create a more safer environment to the people.

[Reply]

13. Nayeli A on May 10th, 2018 12:10 pm

“I have to find out who is right, society or me” said Nora, from the classic story A Doll’s House. Like Nora many poeple strive for desicions that may oppose society or norms,because the truth is, in life society will always have conflicting views. Seen here gun violence creates political and social problem, due to the fact that everyone has opposing views. Whether a student decided to walk out, or not its their right to do so. Fighting for what you believe in is crucial in life. After all that is the purpose of life right? Truth be told, you can only do so much to impact society, but I personally I agree with the idea that change requires a voice, and who will be heard if no one is challenging the norms..

[Reply]

adviser Reply:

Great allusion to Ibsen’s A Dolls House!

[Reply]

14. Isaac cruz on May 10th, 2018 12:19 pm

I do not agree with tighter gun control laws as from what I’ve read these new proposed laws will seem to only help big business and make life harder for small shops. Although many are arguing for their safety in schools and public areas, well if that’s what they want maybe there could be compromise such as, little village high school where they installed metal detectors to avoid gun entry along with security working along side of course. So instead of infringing upon others rights maybe the other side should consider things more local and do things to avoid shootings and such instead of taking a big leap over the small actions that need to take place beforehand. There are actuallly schools where they practice things such as, politeness and making exclusion obsolete to avoid as much hate and discrimination as possible. Before we make bigger guidelines for firearms we should work with others to create peace instead looking for it through laws.

[Reply]

Morton for greater gun restrictions