How many East students text and drive?

A Lot of people get into accidents due to texting and driving.  Drivers assume they can handle driving and texting and remain safe, but the numbers don’t lie. One out of every four car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.   Yet, the majority of students polled at the East campus say they still text and drive.

In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 65 students said yes they text and drive and 35 students said they don’t.  In 2012, 3,328 people were killed in distraction-related crashes. About 421,000 people were injured in crashes involving a distracted drivers. In 2012, 11% of drivers under age 20 involved in fatal accidents were reported to be distracted in the time on the cash. Texting while the driving is a growing trend, also a national epidemic, quickly becomes one of the  countries top killers.

“No hurry unless I need to text my mom that I’m going to pick up my kids,” an anonymous security guard said.

Sometimes people text and drive if an emergency comes up.

“I didn’t have my foot on the break and I looked down to text and the car just kept going and almost hit another car,” Senior Jayda Galvan said.

Not paying attention can cause accidents.

“I looked down to reply to a friend while making a right turn and a car came behind me and bumped into me,” Junior Erika Mendoza said.