How many East students text and drive?

A Lot of people get into accidents due to texting and driving.  Drivers assume they can handle driving and texting and remain safe, but the numbers don’t lie. One out of every four car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.   Yet, the majority of students polled at the East campus say they still text and drive.

In a random survey of 100 Morton East students, 65 students said yes they text and drive and 35 students said they don’t.  In 2012, 3,328 people were killed in distraction-related crashes. About 421,000 people were injured in crashes involving a distracted drivers. In 2012, 11% of drivers under age 20 involved in fatal accidents were reported to be distracted in the time on the cash. Texting while the driving is a growing trend, also a national epidemic, quickly becomes one of the  countries top killers.

“No hurry unless I need to text my mom that I’m going to pick up my kids,” an anonymous security guard said.

Sometimes people text and drive if an emergency comes up.

“I didn’t have my foot on the break and I looked down to text and the car just kept going and almost hit another car,” Senior Jayda Galvan said.

Not paying attention can cause accidents.

“I looked down to reply to a friend while making a right turn and a car came behind me and bumped into me,” Junior Erika Mendoza said.

35 Responses to “How many East students text and drive?”

1. Monico Martinez on May 7th, 2018 8:16 am

I believe texting while driving is preventable
    Yes sometimes people can’t put the phone down but it’s better to put it down then to lose your life. The percentage is crazy and surprising. This problem should be taken into consideration and help teach those who text and drive that it’s life threatening.

[Reply]

2. Alvaro on May 7th, 2018 8:27 am

I think it’s important to drive Undistracted because you put your life at risk and the other drivers around you if you don’t . Crashing will always leave a big hole in your wallet to have to get your car fixed

[Reply]

3. Leonardo Buitimea on May 7th, 2018 8:31 am

Texting and driving is very dangerous. I would not recommend this to anyone, a text can wait. The consequences of texting and driving ar very bad and can be easily avoided by not doing it.

[Reply]

4. Daniel Calderon on May 7th, 2018 8:36 am

Well, they’re teenagers and most of them don’t really think about the consequences of texting and driving. They won’t stop until an accident happens to them or to a loved one.

[Reply]

5. Aurora on May 7th, 2018 9:28 am

I can’t believe it’s 2018 and people are still texting and driving. On TV over the last years there has been thousands of commercials that are anti texting and driving. These students should already have this memorized. It isn’t hard at all to wait until you get home or your destination to check your messages. Safety while driving should always come first because it can sometimes cost someones life.

[Reply]

6. Jimmy Aguirre on May 7th, 2018 9:30 am

I think it’s an obvious answer as to why texting and driving isn’t a smart idea. The logos in this article best exemplify the number of accidents that do end up occurring because of a driver who is paying attention to their phone instead of the road. This causes there to be more dangers when one is out driving, and it makes me worried that someone risks their lives as long as others for something of little urgency.

[Reply]

7. Melanie on May 7th, 2018 9:35 am

Students should be more careful when driving. A lot can happen in those 5 seconds when you text and drive. Sometimes you may think that it’ll be a quick text or call, but the outcome of the situation may be dangerous. I’ve had family members get in accidents because of texting and driving, and it is not worth it.

[Reply]

8. Katelyn Galarza on May 7th, 2018 9:39 am

While reading this article i am shocked for the amount of people actually admitted they text and drive. Texting and driving is a very dangerous thing to do. Many people have families in there car’s and are always safe on the rode. It’s shocking to see that even after many deaths, and accidents, kids still decide to text and drive. I think many people should use these accident’s as a sign that they shouldn’t text and drive. This way they can save many lives. Most texts are not very important to reply too and at least wait until you are on a red light.

[Reply]

9. Fredy on May 7th, 2018 9:41 am

I feel like people need to better understand what they’re getting into when they stop paying attention to the read to text. They don’t realize the risk they’re taking and the possible consequences. They think that if they don’t pay attention to the road for a few seconds that they’ll be okay when in reality they aren’t. In those few seconds anything can happen, a kid could randomly appear or another car. Drivers should always be paying attention to the road no matter what.

[Reply]

10. Marco A Gonzalez on May 7th, 2018 9:42 am

I always nag my family about texting and driving. I’ll see my mom or sister on their phones when they’re driving and I tell them to put them down. When they don’t listen I have to take their phones away because I’m concerned about both my and their safety. It came to the point where I have to tell then when the light turns green because they weren’t paying attention. But because of the news about texting and driving and car accidents, they’ve stopped going on their phones when driving.

[Reply]

11. Nancy B on May 7th, 2018 9:43 am

I do believe that students and anyone in general gets distracted by their phones a lot. People don’t realize how fast an accident can happen until it actually happens to them. The good thing that there is now an option on some phones that allow owners to put their phones on car mode, now the choice is yours. There are many accidents and all it takes is a matter of seconds.

[Reply]

12. Lluvia Ramos on May 7th, 2018 9:44 am

Texting while driving almost never has a positive outcome but many still do it. When driving passenger I try to pay attention to the road as if I was the driver because 2 set of eyes is better than 1. If your going to text and drive you should do it when your driving on your own and no one else in the vehicle rather than putting other lives at risk.

[Reply]

13. Jesus Vega on May 7th, 2018 9:47 am

Texting and driving is dangerous. Many different outcomes from that. Suppose one does get in a car accident and the victim passes away. The family of the victim will be in deep anguish and will have a hard time getting over that. It’s better to be safe than sorry so i say don’t text and drive.

[Reply]

14. Juan Zarco on May 7th, 2018 9:57 am

I am stupefied by the ratio statistic of how many car accidents are caused by texting and driving which is 1 out of 4. I believe the real issue behind all these accidents is the insufficient information that is being provided to teenagers about the effects of texting and driving. At this age we feel we can bring any task under our feet even when it is not true, but all we want to do is demonstrate that we are strong. There should be some kind of security measure in cars in which when it detects a phone that is turned on the car should automatically turn off or slow down its speed to prevent fatal crashes. This article is very concerning and I hope people take it seriously. 😐

[Reply]

15. jose on May 7th, 2018 10:04 am

The problem with texting and driving is common with students because after school students feel the need to check their phones. After school many students drive home and many of them check their phones while driving. I feel like people are confident in their driving and that’s when they end up crashing. Its not only students its also adults and i dont think it will ever be solved.

[Reply]

16. Daisy on May 7th, 2018 10:41 am

I think texting and driving is a colossal problem involving teenagers and should be widely acknowledged more, not just in the U.S.A, but worldwide. Many teenagers are loosing their lives for something so trivial such as a text. Teenagers need to know the importance of keeping your eyes on the road under all circumstances. I wouldn’t want to lose a family member over them being naive in thinking that taking yoour eyes off the road for a split second or two will come with any repurcussions.

[Reply]

17. Jorge Jimenez on May 7th, 2018 10:43 am

I think that people should stop texting while driving by maybe giving a penalty for doing this or have people to find a way to stop. Sure, multi-tasking is something that a lot of people tend to do, especially people like us (high school students). We think that we are able to work with multiple things at once that it is normal. Some of us are great while others cannot perfect it. Even though there are people that can perfect multi-tasking, texting and driving is something that no one can be sure about. It risks the people inside and outside of the car and leads to disastrous accidents as stated in the article. And it is worse when it is someone young who falls into a fatal accident.

[Reply]

18. Neicy Walker on May 7th, 2018 10:47 am

Texting and driving is a big problem in today’s generation. A lot of accidents are due to the fact that people are texting and driving. Also, after almost getting in a car accident while texting and driving people still tend to do it, and they don’t learn from it. Somebody’s life might be taken away just from you sending one text.

[Reply]

19. Emilie Ramos on May 7th, 2018 11:04 am

Texting and driving has been a hot topic for a few years now. Many people around the world do it and need to stop in order to stop the hundreds if not thousands of deaths that occur due to texting and driving. As stated in the article, 1/4 students text and drive, that’s sure a lot of students. A lot of people think that if they glance at their phone for even one second that nothing will happen. Well that’s where a lot of them are wrong. Just one quick glance can get you in an accident and probably cause your death. I think that people can wait until they’re done driving to check on their messages.

[Reply]

20. Maya P. on May 7th, 2018 11:11 am

I personally don’t like people who text and drive due to many experience with accidents. It’s as if whoever you are in the car with , doesn’t take think about your safety as well as their own. They don’t care whether they might crash or be the one to cause an accident. You should never text and drive because you never know what can happen within the “two seconds” that you check your phone. It’s always better to make sure your safe on the road at all times, cause you never know when it’ll be your last.

[Reply]

21. Itzel Gonzalez on May 7th, 2018 11:43 am

After reading this article, I am astounded at the fact that there is still so many people that are still texting and driving. I believe that it is surreal that people are risking their lives (and others if there is more people in the car) just to reply to a message that can wait. I’ve witnessed firsthand people texting and driving and it causes me a good amount distress that someone is risking my life for a text. Hopefully in the future the amount of drivers who text and drive will diminish.

[Reply]

22. Zuzel Garcia on May 7th, 2018 11:50 am

I personally think texting while driving is very irresponsible as not only are you putting your life at stake, but you are endangering others lives too. Many people haven´t lived life to the fullest, so jeopardizing your life just to reply to a text message isn´t worth it. You can always reply to a message later after you leave the car. Driving is all about focus, and when you are driving, you should always be paying attention to the road and not your phone.

[Reply]

23. Cami Revilla on May 7th, 2018 12:03 pm

I believe that people should not text and drive because that’s a huge distraction and not only can put your self at risk but you can put others at risk. If you get a message and its an “emergency” just pull to the side and reply to the message because honestly its not worth it risking your like for one message. You might think that nothing will happen but something could happen out of no where within a second.

[Reply]

24. Julian Andraca on May 7th, 2018 12:11 pm

I really find this article interesting because of how many students are honest about texting and driving. Many students find this a crucial problem , while others think of it as a trivial problem. There are many fatal crashes that are caused from texting and driving or even drugs, alcohol, and many other ways , but there are many more non-fatal crashes also due to texting and driving. I feel remorse for the women who recently died due to not wearing a seatbelt and taking selfies, while everyone else survived with a seatbelt. If many students think this issue isn’t too big of a deal, I’d just let natural selection happen.

[Reply]

25. Javier Rodriguez on May 7th, 2018 2:09 pm

I can connect to this article. I personally have been in an accident involving a distracted driver. I was on my way to school at Freshman Center last year. My mom was driving and was waiting to make a turn towards the school when a driver that was texting her sister slammed right into us at full speed when she should’ve stopped at the stop sign. Ironically, the distracted driver’s sister was texting her about being in an accident minutes before she got into one with us. Thank goodness no one got hurt, except the cars themselves.

[Reply]

26. Luis Mota on May 7th, 2018 2:16 pm

I thought this article was very informative on the thoughts of students on texting and driving. This is a serious topic to talk about with teenagers who believe nothing will happen to them. Hopefully this will open the students eyes and make them think before they look at their phone screen instead of the road. Also this article might have been rushed due to word errors but other than that this is a solid article

[Reply]

27. Angel D on May 7th, 2018 2:19 pm

In my opinion, these students are careless and can provoke an accident at any moment. Considering this is on school ground, students lives can change with one text and this can be bad. At an early age like this, it can ruin your life since it’s illegal to do this. So the best way to prevent this is to drive safely and text after because someones life can flash in an instant

[Reply]

28. Starlit on May 7th, 2018 2:25 pm

Texting and driving are the worst. people are in harms way when the driver is distracted. LIVES at risk for one simple mistake, all because of a phone. I think, people should really think twice before answering the phone or replying back to a text message. making that decision can save lives.

[Reply]

29. Gabriela Huerta on May 7th, 2018 2:26 pm

Texting while driving is something that people are still doing today. People who are driving shouldn’t even have their phones in their hands to begin with! Unless they want to risk their lives, then that’s on them, but that’s not the case. Other people are on the road as well, if you ending up living or have minor injuries, others might have their lives taken just because you couldn’t wait a couple more minutes to reply to a friend. Your life is worth more than a digital message.

[Reply]

30. Ulises castillo on May 7th, 2018 2:28 pm

It is understandable that sometimes our phones can be a distraction. But we should know enough to know that when one driving, the call or text can wait, who ever it is will understand. People should be more aware of how many accidents and deaths are caused by this, one can always pull over if they really have to respond.

[Reply]

31. Jonathan on May 7th, 2018 2:35 pm

Texting and driving is a huge problem in the driving world. There isn’t a huge rush to reply back and most of the times you don’t need to tell someone that you’re way while driving. It’s much safer to message or call someone before hand instead of risking your life just to tell someone how you’ve been. Now that students are now able to drive cars and carry their phones on them at the same time is a huge risk. This only endangers the students as they are prone to accidents, hopefully people will realize that we can’t multi task and opt to safer choices.

[Reply]

32. Claudia Gonzalez on May 8th, 2018 11:04 am

I personally like this article because it talks about the real consequences. Which will help student think twice before they text and drive. This gives seniors a alert on why they should not text and drive specially when they are coming out of prom. Also is a alert for no drinking and driving. Which is mostly seen among young adults.

[Reply]

33. Alexander Roldan on May 9th, 2018 7:50 pm

I think texting while driving is incredibly hazardous. Teens and even adults now-a-days think that since they will be “quick” or they are “pros at driving”, they can do it. Just leaving the phone alone can not only save your life but save others too. Why risk your life for something that can wait till you have time for it. Heck, if its really that important, pull over and respond and when your done jump back on the roads.

[Reply]

34. Mya Miranda on May 10th, 2018 11:36 am

Texting and driving is very common especially now that cellphones are a major distraction for everyone. There have been numerous car accidents that we have seen on television caused by the use of cellphones, it’s unbelievable how we still haven’t learned. It’s not only texting, but also just the use. Changing the song on a playlist or scrolling your feed on Facebook. There has to be a change to this.

[Reply]

35. Diana on May 10th, 2018 11:58 am

This article speaks nothing but the truth we need to make an example of our selfs and show the upcoming generations that texting while driving never ends up in a happy ending. Many accidents happen after prom where a group of friends might want to meet up at some place after and the driver ends up texting their friends when they least expect it without intentions hit something else or even someone else. In order to prevent situations like these Morton recently had a drill on what it would look like if an accident happens while driving drunk.

[Reply]

How many East students text and drive?