College is coming; will you dorm or commute?

Are graduating Morton East seniors commuting or dorming next semester

Most graduating Morton East seniors are looking for that “full college experience” after high school; however, the biggest deciding factor for whether or not these future college freshmen will be ‘commuters’ or ‘dormers’ lies in whether they can or want to spend time to commute or a little extra money to live on campus.

According to collegebound.net, 40% of full-time college students live on campus, 40% live in off-campus housing, and 20% live at home with their parents. Yet, in 2016, only 16%  of those living off-campus were commuting freshmen. Nevertheless, when on average, room and board at a private four-year college costs $9,678 and $9,130 at a public four-year college students really have to weigh the pros and cons of dorming and commuting before making a definitive choice.

Loras College freshman and Morton East class of 2017 alumni Maria Beltran is currently dorming in college and believes that dorming is a worthwhile experience.

“Some pros [of dorming] are that you get the ‘full college experience” as everyone calls it. You get to meet and encounter many kinds of people. You live on campus so you don’t have to travel too far to get to classes,” Beltran said.

However, the reality is that dorming is not always a picture perfect experience

“[Some dorming of the cons of dorming are that] it can be expensive, living with another person can be difficult, and there’s also the fact that the [dorms] aren’t that big,” University of Illinois freshman and Morton East class of 2017 alumni Nadia Mendez said.

Nonetheless, dorming is not the only option and some view commuting to school as the better option.

“[A pro for commuting is] if you do happen to own a car, you go at your own pace and nobody rushes you, you’re just doing your own thing. Being a commuter benefits those that either own a car, have a ride with someone or simply live close to the campus they are attending. I wouldn’t want to dorm because it’s expensive and I prefer sleeping alone,” Morton College freshman and Morton East class of 2017 alumni America Avina said.

At the end of the day, if money isn’t an issue, it all comes down to personal preference and what the student believes will benefit them the most.

“I made the decision to dorm because I believe that it would be helpful for me to get to know the school better. I also think that the experience of being on my own will be beneficial to me,” Morton East senior Abigail Leon said.

21 Responses to “College is coming; will you dorm or commute?”

1. Abigail Villasana on May 7th, 2018 8:36 am

I personally think that living in dorms may be problematic for some people. I just find that the price of a dorm is too costly for people when all they really want is to get a degree and a great job. If anything, they should find a way to lower the price without harming the education of others.

2. Destiny Sanchez on May 7th, 2018 8:36 am

In my opinion I think I would rather not dorm at all. I think college or university is already expensive enough and I would not wanna be paying an even more amount of money to dorm. Not only that but I enjoy having my own privacy. The last thing is that i may not like who i’m paired up with and i would rather not take that risk.

3. Jorge Ochoa on May 7th, 2018 8:46 am

I believe that while dorming has its benefits its just a waste of money in the long run as it piles up on top of the ever increasing student debt situation we face today. Nobody wants to pay off student debt till their 50 it just isnt right and if you think about it financially its not as great of an option.

4. Melanie on May 7th, 2018 9:32 am

I think it would be nice to dorm at college and have that full experience. I would love to do it, but the problem is that it can be expensive and like the article mentioned, dorms aren’t that big. When i go to college i dont’t think i’ll dorm because of the cost. It’s all just personal preference and what that student wants to do.

5. Katelyn Galarza on May 7th, 2018 9:34 am

Reading this article, i come to understand that when i go to college i do want to dorm. Yes, i will get the full college experience but i also think it is a great step to learning how to live on your own with no parents. Yes, you have another roommate but, they won’t do your laundry or fix your bed like how your parents would when you were younger. now you are in charge of yourself. I know that my parents will be able to help me financially, so when i know i am ready after a certain point i can go live on my own. I want to be able to move out and live a life as an adult and not with my parents.

6. maria loza on May 7th, 2018 9:34 am

When i enter college in the future, I don’t think i will be living in the dorm. I’d much rather be at home being comfortable than sharing a dorm with someone. You never know when you may run into crazy people and I would hate to be sharing a room with a crazy person. Living in a dorm is expensive, and i know that if i lived in one, I would feel lonely and miss my family. I’d rather invest that dorm money in something else.

7. Kiara on May 7th, 2018 9:35 am

When I get sent off to college I would like to pay to live on campus in a dorm, I want to full experience. The prices of staying in a dorm is what is going to be a struggle for me. My mom stayed in a dorm her entire 4 years at Dominican university and she is still paying off expensive loans to the school. I have thought about doing my first two years at a community college, and then going to a university for the rest of the years.

8. Juan Zarco on May 7th, 2018 9:36 am

The amount of money needed to pay for living on campus seems like a lot of money, especially if you come from a family whom is not very wealthy. Although, I believe that the with the in campus living cost just adds on even more to the cost of classes one will take in college, which will surge up a higher debt. Though from the looks of the in campus living it would really be worth the cost as you will be able to meet new friends which most interests me and hope someday to experience. In the end I feel gratification from reading this article which was worth it and now I have a better idea for my college experience in the future.

9. Lluvia Ramos on May 7th, 2018 9:38 am

Personally as of right now my plan is to commute rather than dorm. I think that as you get older you need your own privacy and sharing with someone else could turn out good or perhaps you may have a bad experience. I would rather commute than dorm because it would save you money and would keep you close to your family which I enjoy being with.

10. anonymous on May 7th, 2018 9:44 am

This article really caught my attention because now I wonder what I will do once I go to college! I want to live on the campus and be out of state IF I go to an out of state college but at the same time I am going to really miss my family so that is why I am debating on just staying home. At the same time, I think it’s good to be out so that you can meet new people and explore 🙂 This article was very helpful and interesting as well!

11. Bernardo Corral on May 7th, 2018 10:40 am

In my opinion, I believe that living in a dorm is the full university/college experience. But if you’re going to a local college then taking the commuting way it’s more reliable In your economic aspect. But if money really isn’t your issue then go for it I feel like it would be a good experience on life. Unless you’re a severe introvert then borrow your mothers car and hit the road🏎.

12. Alexis Ayala on May 7th, 2018 10:42 am

I would honestly love to have a dorm and have this “full college experience.” Thing is, we all aren’t made of money. Plus it would be weird living with someone you just met. It’s much more convenient being a commuter as it would save you much more money so that you can easily save up for a car. I plan on going to Michigan State University & already starting to make plans for what I will do. I honestly can’t wait to go the college to study in the engineering field.

13. Anahy Medina on May 7th, 2018 10:52 am

The article overall is great because it has people from both sides on the decision between dorms and commuting. I personally don’t really like the idea of sharing a room with a stranger because you will never know how the person is. I have heard of dorm stories where the roommates didn’t like one another because they have different views between thing. I think it will be a pleasant experience if you can just live on your own on campus, but it is very expensive. Sharing a small room with someone isn’t for everyone, but they can if they want to enjoy the campus and get to classes easier.

14. Neicy Walker on May 7th, 2018 10:56 am

I think getting the whole college experience is an fun way to attend college. Also, you learn to be independent and how to survive on your own instead of relying on other people. Therefore, when you get out of college you know what to do and don’t need anyone’s help.

15. Emilie Ramos on May 7th, 2018 10:57 am

I think that many people really argue if they’re going to dorm or commute. Dorming can be good if you want to meet new people and/or want to get to know the school better. Also, commuting can be good if you want your own personal space and don’t mind having to be alone. As stated in the article, about 40% of college students dorm in the school while others commute or live with their families. I personally think that every option is great as long as you get to school. If I were to choose, I would say that dorming is for social people, and commuting is for people that like their own space.

16. Alexander Raldiris on May 7th, 2018 11:03 am

This sounds like a pretty important issue. Since majority of it affects finance and time. But I would commute at first if don’t have the money. But if I do gain the money, I would dorm. Since it seems nice to live close to school and you could go to school faster. The only problem is the money and the placement of your dorm and whose in it with you. Commuting sounds easier to manage since you have your own place to stay and can manage your schedule of where you go.

17. Emily on May 7th, 2018 11:12 am

I personally wouldn’t want to live in a dorm during my college years. Yeah it seem’s fun and you are closer to the campus but dorms are very expensive. I wouldn’t want to stress about the expenses of living in a dorm when i’m older. Also, I will get really home sick being away from my family.

18. Jacklyn Vega on May 7th, 2018 12:09 pm

If i had the option of choosing i would choose to commute because it has many benefits. First of all, you don’t have to waste as much money as you would living in a dorm. Also you would have more personal space to focus on doing homework or just relaxing.In addition if you decide to still live with your parents you don’t have to worry about cooking or paying as much rent. Also if you decide to live by yourself it will prepare as an adult. Also if you commute you have more liberty to go out instead of having a schedule when you live in a dorm. Overall, i would recommend students to commute instead of getting a dorm.

19. Bernardo Luviano on May 7th, 2018 2:28 pm

Personally, I was very intrigued by this article due to the way that it was able to use personal accounts to support both dorming and commuting. The addition of facts from collegebound.net was also a very effective form of providing the reader with information as I felt a lot more confident in this article’s content knowing that there were other sources involved in the production of it. I hardly see any real bias present in this article which I always find incredibly pivotal in the production of such articles, as the purpose should be to present the two sides of a debate, and not an attempt at discouraging a certain opinion over another. Also, I loved the way this article had a more leisurely, and calm tone that invited me to understand listen to the author’s interpretation of both sides of the debate. An aggressive tone would have certainly made it a lot more difficult to enjoy such a well thought out piece. Personally, it has really got me thinking a lot more towards the future and how I plan to take in the college experience.

20. Alexa Ramos on May 7th, 2018 2:37 pm

As a sophomore, I still have plenty of time to think if I would rather live in a dorm or I can just live with my parents. But now that I think about it, if I go to a school out of state, of course I am going to have to sleep in a dorm. Its scary knowing that you will have to sleep in a room with another person you just met. But if it goes well, at least you made a new friend.
    I feel like what worries me more is how I will be having to pay the tuition, PLUS the cost of living in the schools dorms.

21. monika on May 8th, 2018 11:02 am

I would rather commute than dorm. The reason for that is because if you dorm it can be more expensive, you have to live with other people and you might not get along. Another reason is that the dorms aren’t that big. I agree on what America Avina said about commuting. I wouldn’t be comfortable sleeping with someone else so i prefer sleeping alone.