College is coming; will you dorm or commute?

Are graduating Morton East seniors commuting or dorming next semester

Most graduating Morton East seniors are looking for that “full college experience” after high school; however, the biggest deciding factor for whether or not these future college freshmen will be ‘commuters’ or ‘dormers’ lies in whether they can or want to spend time to commute or a little extra money to live on campus.

According to collegebound.net, 40% of full-time college students live on campus, 40% live in off-campus housing, and 20% live at home with their parents. Yet, in 2016, only 16%  of those living off-campus were commuting freshmen. Nevertheless, when on average, room and board at a private four-year college costs $9,678 and $9,130 at a public four-year college students really have to weigh the pros and cons of dorming and commuting before making a definitive choice.

Loras College freshman and Morton East class of 2017 alumni Maria Beltran is currently dorming in college and believes that dorming is a worthwhile experience.

“Some pros [of dorming] are that you get the ‘full college experience” as everyone calls it. You get to meet and encounter many kinds of people. You live on campus so you don’t have to travel too far to get to classes,” Beltran said.

However, the reality is that dorming is not always a picture perfect experience

“[Some dorming of the cons of dorming are that] it can be expensive, living with another person can be difficult, and there’s also the fact that the [dorms] aren’t that big,” University of Illinois freshman and Morton East class of 2017 alumni Nadia Mendez said.

Nonetheless, dorming is not the only option and some view commuting to school as the better option.

“[A pro for commuting is] if you do happen to own a car, you go at your own pace and nobody rushes you, you’re just doing your own thing. Being a commuter benefits those that either own a car, have a ride with someone or simply live close to the campus they are attending. I wouldn’t want to dorm because it’s expensive and I prefer sleeping alone,” Morton College freshman and Morton East class of 2017 alumni America Avina said.

At the end of the day, if money isn’t an issue, it all comes down to personal preference and what the student believes will benefit them the most.

“I made the decision to dorm because I believe that it would be helpful for me to get to know the school better. I also think that the experience of being on my own will be beneficial to me,” Morton East senior Abigail Leon said.