Auto Club will fix your car

Taken+by+Javier+Enriquez+
Taken by Javier Enriquez

Taken by Javier Enriquez

Taken by Javier Enriquez

Did you know that Morton East fixes cars?  

The auto club at Morton repairs cars for its teachers, staff members, and students. To join, students must have all passing grades, no incompletes, and take and pass a safety test with a 5.0. Any members that are misbehaving or causing danger to themselves or others will be expelled from the program. Students who are not part of the auto club would like to know if it is possible to get their car fixed for a decent price by students who are taking the auto mechanics class. After asking Mr. Yunker some questions about the auto club, students are better informed on what goes on there. 

“If it is a student’s car, they would need to come to auto club and they would need to be part of the fixing process, which would require them to do the safety test. Teachers and staff can drop their cars off and we can arrange to do work for them, but it depends what they want done and how long they are able to keep the car with us. It takes us a lot longer job,” Morton East Auto Mechanics teacher, Mark Yunker said. 

Some students are concerned on the price and where the money goes. The process on the car is simple and cheap, but what some students aren’t aware of, is that they are part of the fixing process.  

“Most repair shops charge anywhere to $100 to $150 an hour. Our labor rate is $20, it’s a fee. The owner of the vehicle must buy the parts on their own. The students are the ones fixing the cars. It’s a learning experience for the students, I’m just here to teach them,”  Yunker said. 

Although this option is more affordable, it’s not for everyone.

“It is not open to the public. It is only open to the teachers and the staff and students under the conditions that they do the safety requirements and are willing to be a part of the repair process,” Yunker said.  

When asking a Morton East student whether they would take their car to get fixed at the school’s auto club here’s what they had to say. 

“As someone who doesn’t earn a lot of money, I would definitely bring my car here. I love cars and learning how to fix it myself, with guidance of a teacher, is beneficial to me. It’s a great learning experience,” senior Claudia Del Toro said. 

Some students think otherwise. They are not comfortable letting students work on a vehicle they are to drive.  

“I don’t trust students who are barely learning about cars, to fix my car,” senior Eve Molly Esleta said. 

Mr. Yunker supervises and inspects the work that is done by the students, so, ultimately, an expert gives the final seal of approval.

6 Responses to “Auto Club will fix your car”

1. Leonardo Buitimea on May 7th, 2018 8:24 am

Its nice to know this, I did not known that there’s a auto mechanics club in Morton that actually fixes your car for cheap.

[Reply]

2. Aileen on May 7th, 2018 8:32 am

I think its great how everyone is able to get something out of this program even if they are not apart of it. The students apart of this program are able to learn to repair parts and they are able to use this new skill out of the program as well. I also think is fair enough for the staff and or student to but their own part if the repair is so cheap because alot of auto shops often over price even when you have to buy that part your self

[Reply]

3. Alvaro on May 7th, 2018 8:40 am

This is a great option for people who don’t have a lot of money and it’s also great on the schools part because they teach the students hands on. But on the other side it’s done by students that are barley learning

[Reply]

4. Ivan P. on May 7th, 2018 10:44 am

The fact that the process of the repairing of the car is beneficial to both the people repairing it and the owner of the vehicle makes this really interesting. It rewards the people who work there and also the students that are doing well in school and behaving properly. The low price is nice with the fact that you have to buy the parts and are learning from a teacher. I disagree with the comment involving not trusting the students fixing the car because like they said an expert is checking the car as well. In the future I might consider participating in this program like others have. Maybe I might join the club as well.

[Reply]

5. Daisy on May 7th, 2018 10:52 am

I think its great that the auto club can fix cars at a much lower price than other auto shops. Plus the studentss fixing the cars obtain a learning experience and a skill towards fixing cars. Altough the wait might cause people to prefer going to an actual auto shop. Or also the fact that the owner has to bring in and pay for the parts that are needed for the car. Those are some reasons on why it might not really be economical.

[Reply]

6. Starlit on May 7th, 2018 2:14 pm

I like the idea on how they created their own mechanic workshop. repairing, staff and teachers vehicles. A very unique way to be apart a program. But, in order to be in the program, behavior and grades have to be in order to participate and be in the program. love it

[Reply]

Auto Club will fix your car