Seniors must pay up

Senior+Juan+Martinez+paying+his+fees+
Senior Juan Martinez paying his fees

Senior Juan Martinez paying his fees

Senior Juan Martinez paying his fees

Athziry Munoz and Leslie Rodriguez

Some Seniors must pay a lot more money, but senior fees are actually only $60.

Some students have to pay a lot more then others because of any other late fees they might have throughout their 4 years of high school. According to assistant principal Dr. Parrie, the district office of 201 decides on all of the fees. Senior fees help to pay the UIC Pavilion with AC, instead of being out in the heat including a nice venue with parking.

Not paying off the fees before the end of the year comes with consequences.

“If you don’t pay the fees, there is no senior breakfast, no prom, no senior picnic, and no cap and gown. You cannot walk on stage, but will get a diploma,” Dr. Parrie said.

Even though every senior knows about the fees, they still put it off and wait till last minute.

“I owe $600 or more of just fees and I haven’t gone to pay knowing that there is only 6 more weeks left of school,” an anonymous senior girl said.

Senior’s don’t keep up with their fees and don’t get to join the senior events.

“Senior fees were due on October 31, 2017 and there is still a whole bunch of kids that need to pay,” Cashier Yasmine Hernandez said.

6 Responses to “Seniors must pay up”

1. Raul De Jesus on April 16th, 2018 1:24 pm

Morton East just wants money because they’re too broke

2. Katelyn Galarza on May 7th, 2018 9:28 am

i think that it is crazy to see how seniors are now struggling at the end of the year when they could have avoided this situation from the beginning. Now, seniors are having trouble with paying up late fees instead of being able to enjoy there senior year. I think the seniors should be more responsible on taking care of there payments and doing what they were told to do from the beginning of the year. This helps me look up to them and I now know what not to do. I want to be able to enjoy my senior year and this should be a lesson for the new incoming seniors.

3. Diogo on May 9th, 2018 2:19 pm

Its outrageous that students have to pay for every little thing. Such as prom and temp IDs.In the freshman center, you had to pay five dollars for a temporary IDs, if you so happen to not have the money then you can pay a different day. In this school, if you don’t have the money then you have someone from home drive all the way up here with your id or money. If they are unable then you get locked in a room until the end of the day. Its literally stripping them away from education. You have to pay to wear what you want, pay 80$ for a prom ticket, and 60$ for a year book containing images of your friends. This school is going to suck me dry.

4. Yoana on May 10th, 2018 11:43 am

I agree that seniors should be responsible. However, it should be acknowledged that not all seniors have money as in the case of the senior who said ” I owe $600 or more” although it isn’t the case for everyone, there are a lot of students who don’t have enough money to attend to all this events even though to many it might seem that it is a reasonable price. For many, not being able to pay the money they owe is partly because they come from low income families which leads to leaving out those students out of events.

5. Ricardo corona on May 10th, 2018 11:49 am

I believe it’s the school’s job to provide a sure and certain guarantee that all the senior activities will happen. In my point of view, senior activities are a once in a life time experience and should be financially provided by the school and not by the students. Mortons budget is enormous. At at a moron assembly, one representant stated the yearly morton budget can reach up to 114 million dollars. This vast amount of money should be used to provide the students senior activities. What kind of school puts a once in a lifetime experience in jeopardy just because students don’t pay money?? When clearly mortons budget can easily cover the cost of the activities.

6. Miranda on May 10th, 2018 11:51 am

It’s really important for seniors to pay off their fees so they can enjoy their senior year and be able to walk the stage and overall have fun. They’ve worked hard up to this point, all these events like senior breakfast, prom, senior picnic, cap and gown. and walking the stage are the reward that come from all the stress, hard work and maybe even tears. But to have that all thrown out just because you don’t pay your fees is absurd, Now there are exceptions; seniors not having enough money to pay said fees are simply because they don’t want to go….but in that case, seniors should take initiative and plan out a sort of payment plan, paying off fees in small amount over time rather than stressing and internally panicking: “AHHH HOW AM I GOING TO PAY OFF $735 IN FEES IN A WEEK”. For those who don’t want to go on any of these trips, it”s understandable, just simply pay for the cap and gown to walk the stage, because that the most important event at least. As for myself, there’s no way im going to let all those all-nighters crying over assignments go to waste, I plan on paying my fees over time because I want to live out my last year in high school in peace.

Seniors must pay up