Prom dilemma: Friends or a date?

Lizet Quiroz

As the school year is coming to an end, prom season is quickly approaching. Not only is prom for couples but also for groups of friends. 

The tradition started at colleges. Proms migrated to high schools by the 1930s. President Kennedy crashed a California prom in 1963. The white house hosted a prom in the ’70s. Proms weren’t held nationwide until the 1930’s. 40% out of 100 Morton East students said they will be going to prom and they’d rather go with friends. 

“I believe prom is important because you only go to prom as a senior once. It’s one of the good memories that you’ll take with you beyond high school,” senior Karla Ochoa said. 

Others say it’ll be one last memory with friends before their high school experience is over. 

“I think prom is important because it’s one of the last times we will be able to be together with friends. Some people might say that prom will be the best night of their lives” senior Michelle Delgado said. 

Prom is a big deal to others, another student believes it is a high school tradition. 

“I believe prom is a ritual/tradition in high schools. If prom doesn’t happen, is it really high school,” senior Lillibeth Renteria said. 

A upper class men who is attending prom is going with friends. 

“I’m going with friends,” senior Karla Ochoa said. 

Others are going with a date and a group of friends. 

“I’m going with a date but we’re still going with a group of friends,” senior Lillibeth said. 

Some students did not like the Havana theme and started a petition to change it. 

“I was impressed by the continuity and spirit people have coming with this petition, but it was not well represented. I saw a couple signatures and asked some of the students about it and some said that they just signed it and didn’t know what it was for. I think students don’t understand that when prom theme is selected there is no going back because things have been purchased already and the theme doesn’t dictate what you will wear, music or how much fun will you have,” Morton East teacher Ms. Samata said. 

Students describe in 3 words how prom will turn out.

“Glamorous, thrilling, and lit,” senior Jennifer Rodriguez said.

Prom will be a night to remember for those attending whether they’ll go with a group of friends or a date.

3 Responses to “Prom dilemma: Friends or a date?”

1. Alexis Arreguin on May 7th, 2018 10:48 am

I feel like it is important to recognize that going to prom is an important thing our senior year. As said in this article, going gives us a last chance to hang out with our friends. As the year comes to an end for seniors, prom should be the last memory of being 4 years committed to high school. With the opportunity so beautiful like prom it shouldn’t matter who you go with. Whether it’s a date or a friendship, prom should viciously be an option to consider. Make it worth it seniors, we love to see you in your amazing outfits!

2. Juan Escobedo on May 7th, 2018 11:53 am

I believe if you do attend to prom in your senior year, you should probably go with your closets friends. Regarding to the article, prom is supposed to be one of your best nights of your life. Yes going to prom with your partner will be a night to remember but what if you and that person arent together by the next month. You will be regretting going with that certain person and wishing you should have gone with your best friend.

3. Lizbeth Ruiz on May 8th, 2018 10:22 am

I also agree that prom is one of the most memorable moments in a seniors life, even though I’m not a senior, my friends describe prom as a night to never forget and one of the great joys of their last year in high school. Perferably, if i ever attend prom i would rather choose to go with a group of friends because personally i have friends that i know will make everything a good time and my friends are those that i spent years with and would rather end high school with the people i grew up by. I do agree witht the teachers about how students don’t realize what they are signing which can be a big issue because if their was time to switch the theme students should truly have a reason for making that kind of a change for the most grandest night for seniors. The havanna theme i believe will not affect on what attendees wear because the havanna theme is about hollywood style and galamorous gowns. I would have loved to have this theme be the theme for my senior year.

Prom dilemma: Friends or a date?