Contemplating on where to go this Spring Break? Go Camping!

Drawing by senior Osvaldo Galvan.

The majority of Morton East students have not experienced a camping trip.  

In a random survey of 100 students, 61 students have not gone camping, and 39 said that they have gone camping. According to Wikipedia, the history of recreational camping is often traced back to Thomas Hiram Holdins, a British traveling tailor, but it was first popularized in the United Kingdom on the river of Thames. By the 1880s large numbers of visitors took part in the pastime, which was connected to the late Victorian craze for pleasure boating. According to outsideonline.com, the ten most deadly national parks are Lake Mead National Recreation Area with 254 deaths, Yosemite National Park with 150 deaths, the Grand Canyon National Park with 130, Yellowstone National Park with 93, the Golden Gate National Recreation Area with 85, the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area with 82, Denali National Park and Preserve with 62, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park with 60, the Grand Teton National Park with 59, and Natchez Trace Parkway with 56 deaths. According to koa.com, there are 9 KOA camping grounds in Illinois which are Benton KOA, Casey KOA, Chicago Northwest KOA – which would be $20.00 on May 12 – as well as Rock Island/ Quad Cities, Springfield, and St. Louis N.E./ I-270; there are also KOA campsites in Lena, LaSalle Peru, and Kankakee South.  

The campsites that students have gone to are both sketchy and unheard of.  

“I’ve gone to Camp Boggy Creek, which is in Lake County, Florida,” senior Elajah Morales said. 

And, here’s another one that sounds like it’s from a horror movie – but it’s actually very scenic.  

“Yes, I have gone to a camping trip before; I went to Devils Lake which is in Wisconsin,” senior Jaime Bahena said. 

Students and a teacher have provided us with the essentials that are needed for camping.  

“Food, water, a sleeping bag, a tent, a first aid kit, bug spray, a flashlight, and batteries,” senior Elajah Morales said.  

Another student agrees. 

“Bringing food is the number one essential someone should take when going camping, as well as a tent, shampoo, toothpaste, and a hair brush,” senior Jaime Bahena said.  

A teacher adds on to the list of essentials.  

“Well my dog, he’s essential. I take a tent, and since I’m not much of a cook, I take peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (cold food that I can make). I bring a cooler because I usually bring some beer, a lantern, I also have a cot bed because I hate sleeping on the hard ground,” journalism teacher Mr. Frankfother said.   

Students and teachers are recommending camping because of the positive impact that is has in a person’s life. 

“Yes, I would recommend camping to someone who hasn’t camped before because it is a memorable experience that you won’t forget, there is also many activities that you can do outdoors such as stopping and enjoying nature,” senior Elajah Morales said.  

A teacher has a different, but positive, point of view.  

“I do recommend camping because I think it’s nice; people can try to see if they like it, but it’s good to get away from the city, away from where you’re comfortable; being there in the middle of nature and it’s not dangerous, but at least you’re away from all the comfort zones. Also, if there is ever a zombie apocalypse or anything, if something happens to the world where you lose your home, you lose technology, at least some people who have done that would have a little bit of experience with it,” journalism Mr. Frankfother said.   

Mr. Frankfother has also had a crazy experience when camping.  

“I had some friends that had a farm, it was in western Illinois, and I was camping in their farm and I just had gotten my new dog, which was a puppy at the time, and two things happened. First, there was a stray dog that was all messed up; it was covered in thorns and wires and I cut all of them out and all I had was a pocket knife. I helped him which was memorable. Then there were coyotes, the coyotes kept coming up to the tent because of my puppy and kind of running into the tent, which freaked me out a little bit,” journalism Mr. Frankfother said.