Social media is affecting teenage self-esteem

Barbara Beltran and Vanessa Bustamante

Although recent studies have shown that excessive use of social media may be linked to an increase in teenage depression, not all Morton East studies seem to believe so.

According to American psychologist Jean Twenge’s research, teens who spend five or more hours per day on their electronic devices are 71 percent more likely to have one risk factor for suicide; at two hours there is a slightly elevated risk, and three hours of screen time is where the risk becomes more pronounced to the point where said teenagers had at least one suicide risk factor. Nonetheless, developing depression from spending time on social media might seem like an extreme case for some. However, a more noticeable pattern within teens who regularly use social media is either a depletion or boost of self-confidence. After asking Morton East teens how social media has influenced their lives, mixed information and opinions were received.

“I use social media because it lets me know what’s going on in the outside world and to stay connected with friends. I think social media is  beneficial to teenagers because they are able to become more sociable and it’s easier for them to make new friends,” senior Areli Balbuena said.

However, this is just one perspective concerning the positive side of social media and its effects on teenage self-esteem.

“I’m usually more open on social media than I am in real life. However, appearance wise, yes [social media] depletes my self confidence, that’s because social media has built this altar called expectations where they praise qualities that they think are perfect on how they should look,” senior Pilar Sierra said.

Social media is capable of influencing teenage minds positively, but negatively as well; and most teens seem to recognize that it is capable of so much.

“I think social media boosts most people’s self confidence because of the likes and hearts and comments people get on their pictures and stuff. It could also be depleting if someone doesn’t get that kind of attention though,” sophomore Adriana Arzuaga said.

5 Responses to “Social media is affecting teenage self-esteem”

1. Efren Avitia on May 7th, 2018 10:03 am

i agree with this article because it honestly depends on the person. i mainly use social media to find things online and since some of my friends on Facebook are my friends i real life i really don’t meet new people. i can see how social media can destroy someones confidence and to be honest it kinda has destroyed a bit of my confidence that i have left.

2. Yesenia Ornelas on May 7th, 2018 11:56 am

Now a days everyone is on their phones. Families are getting ruined because they are not having family time anymore. This has to stop also many people are wanting to kill themselves because they have a really low self esteem. Not very long ago kids didn’t have phones but they had toys. Most likely in a couple of years kids a re not going to know what are toys. Some times the only thing that social media does to people is harm them.

3. Dorothy Trabanino on May 10th, 2018 12:14 pm

Social media is affecting teenage self-esteem because many teens who use it become depressed and very insecure caused by all the feed back they are given or expectations of what you have to look like or be. In Korea there internet is 8 times faster then in the U.S. (meaning their internet service/speed is really REALLY fast), and their suicide rates are the highest in the world as well, which suggests that the social media (something the internet provides) is one of the main causes of their lack of confidence and joyfulness. As psychologist Jean Twenge said, “teens who spend five or more hours per day on their electronic devices are 71 percent more likely to have one risk factor for suicide.: This suggests that people who constantly spend their time surfing through the web or social media will have their self-esteem affected extremely. Also like sophomore Adriana Arzuaga said, “social media boosts most people’s self confidence because of the likes and hearts and comments people get on their pictures and stuff” This is a positive side to the argument, but not many get the response they sought for and this result in them losing their confidence and becoming saddened and depressed by this fact.

4. Israel on May 10th, 2018 12:22 pm

Social media, a source that can ruin one’s confidence or help them enrich their self-esteem. At the end of the day the person behind the screen is in control of what path they’ll take. According to a report by common sense media, 75% of teens in America have a social media account, due to the amount of teens with a social media account I do agree with the claim, the more hours one spends on social media are at higher risk of falling into depression. Also according to comScore a person spends around 86 hours a month on their phones. These people have a higher risk of depression because they rather be on their phones than spend time with their families or go outside and enjoy some real time socializing with real people in front of them.

5. adviser on May 10th, 2018 5:51 pm

Great comment!