Wall or No DACA? We say wall

Perla Vargas
“Build a wall, so DACA can stay!”

The majority of Morton East students want the wall for DACA to stay. 

In a random survey of 100 students, 86 students from Morton East High School would rather build the wall and keep DACA. The other 14 students chose to not build the wall, so DACA won’t stay. According to the Chicago Tribune, the Trump administration has told lawmakers that it wants $18 billion over the next decade for the initial phase of a Mexico border wall, laying out for the first time a detailed financial blueprint for the president’s signature campaign promise. The money would pay for 316 miles of new fencing and reinforce another 407 miles where barriers are already in place. If the work was completed, more than half of the 2,000-mile border with Mexico would have a wall or other physical structure by 2027. According to Wikipedia, the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was an American immigration policy that allowed some individuals who entered the country as minors and had either entered or remained in the country illegally, to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and to be eligible for a work permit. As of 2017, approximately 800,000 individuals were enrolled in the program created by DACA. The policy was established by the Obama Administration in June 2012 and rescinded by the Trump Administration in September 2017. 

Students had different opinions on giving President Trump the money to build the wall. 

“I honestly wouldn’t give President Trump the money to build the wall because no matter what the money is for he doesn’t deserve it. We work hard to earn our money and if he wants to build the wall then he can do it with HIS money not the money of the citizens or the United States,” junior Stephanie Gavez said.  

Another student doesn’t like to make deals.   

“I don’t think we should minimize ourselves just for the sake to get what we want. He shouldn’t make us choose. The next president could tear down the wall and it would have been a waste of money,” senior Sarah Santiago said.  

Students and citizens are all in for keeping DACA. 

“I am for DACA all the way, not because I only benefit from the program, but every undocumented student should be allowed the right to live in this country in peace and be someone they are proud of, to make mama and papa proud, something they couldn’t be,” senior Sarah Santiago said.  

DACA students are often referred to as “dreamers.”  

“For DACA, it helps certain immigrants reach their American Dream; many beneficiaries of DACA have college degrees and are beneficial to our country,” citizen Mario-Ignacio Puentes-Vargas said.   

They also had different opinions when asked if DREAMERS over the age of 25 should stay in the United Sates.  

“They don’t know anything about their natal home, it’s sending them to a place unknown. They’re used to the American life, nothing different,” senior Sarah Santiago said. 

Vargas agrees. 

“They should be able to stay if, and only if, they currently have DACA, speak English, have a job or a college degree, and have no violent crimes in their backgrounds,” citizen Mario-Ignacio Puentes-Vargas said. 

A citizen has a different approach for building the wall and keeping DACA. 

“Build the wall and keep DACA, but finally fully legalizing the beneficiaries of DACA and addressing the rest of the 11 million illegal immigrants, including DACA parents. Enforcing our laws and passing stricter ones and deferring future waves of illegal immigrants in the near future,” citizen Mario-Ignacio Puentes-Vargas said.

2 Responses to “Wall or No DACA? We say wall”

1. Dorothy Trabanino on May 10th, 2018 5:41 pm

The Wall should be built for Dreamers to stay. Even if the U.S. is known to be the “land of opportunities”, there’s always a need to limit that. Imagine all the people of central American or Mexico move to the U.S. because they want more from life than what is given to them in their nation, then what would happen to those territories? Would there still be a Mexico? A Guatemala? A Honduras? and so on and so forth..?

2. Dorothy Trabanino on May 10th, 2018 6:02 pm

The Wall should be built for Dreamers to stay. Even if the U.S. is known to be the “land of opportunities”, there’s always a need to limit that. Imagine all the people of central American or Mexico move to the U.S. because they want more from life than what is given to them in their nation, then what would happen to those territories? Would there still be a Mexico? A Guatemala? A Honduras? and so on and so forth..? Not only that, but DACA is also a positive thing that could come from this. Like citizen Mario-Ignacio Puentes-Vargas said. DACA provides those immigrants living many years in the U.S. with opportunities that they had risked their lives to get, “many beneficiaries of DACA have college degrees and are beneficial to our country.” According to a Cosmopolitan article, it was approximated that “DACA recipients could contribute an additional nearly $505 million in state and local taxes.” Which means that without Dreamers, American is basically going to become economically unstable. In conclusion the Wall should be built, so DACA can stay.

Wall or No DACA? We say wall