Should parents be punished if they raise bullies?

Should there be anconsequences to thparent(s) of a bully? 

In 2015, the Huffington post estimated that U.S. schools have around 2.1 million bullies in school. According to nobullying.com, 7 percent of parents are concerned and aware of their children being bullied. It is said that Illinois is one of the 10 worst states when it comes to bullying. Parents are not aware of the bullying or the parents themselves are the cause of the bullying, but it is the consequences that needs to take place, for bullies and parents. A new law in the town of Wisconsin allows the police to fine parents more than $100 if their kids are caught bullying more than once. In a random survey taken at Morton East High school asked 40 sophomore, junior, and senior students “Should the parent(s) of a student, who is a bully, be punished?” 76% of students said no and 24% of students said yes.  

After asking a counselor what makes a person a bully her, response was, “many different things can make a person a bully, jealousy, insecurity, like to pick on others because they don’t feel good about themselves, they want to look cool in front others and they’re just mean in general and don’t care about others,” Morton East Counselor Ms. Cutean said. 

After asking Cutean what the consequences for a bully should be she replied with ” it depends on how serious it is, they can either get suspended or LAC.” 

While the bullies should be getting their consequence, parents should be getting punished too because of their child’s actions. Sam Diaz agrees that parents should be responsible too.  

“I think parents should be punished because even though parents can’t make a bully, they can prevent their kids from being a bully,” Diaz said.  

A parent of a Morton East student disagrees with Diaz when it comes to parents being punished.  

“I don’t feel like I should have to be responsible for what my kid decides to do. I have no control over what they do outside of my house, so I don’t feel like I should have any part in that. Although they can punish my kid any way they decide to, due to their actions. Just know I didn’t raise them to be that way,” Victor Rebolledo said.  

2 Responses to “Should parents be punished if they raise bullies?”

1. Dorothy Trabanino on May 10th, 2018 11:48 am

There should’t be consequences for the parents raising bully because even though your parents are the one’s to care and discipline you, the child is the one to decide what path to take in life. You’re parent don’t persuade you to bully others, you are the one that makes that decision. Just like Counselor Ms. Cutean said a person bullies because they are jealous of the other person and insecure about themselves. They also “like to pick on others because they don’t feel good about themselves, they want to look cool in front others and they’re just mean in general and don’t care about others.” Also like how Victor Rebolledo said parents aren’t at fault, “Just know I didn’t raise them to be that way.” This suggests that parents shouldn’t be punished for their children becoming bullies, since they aren’t like a puppeteer who can control what their children do all the time, their children decide what path to go through that their parents establish for them.

2. Reyna Hernandez on May 10th, 2018 12:22 pm

I don’t think parents should be punished because of their child’s actions. Yes, parents have an influence on what their do, but as stated by counselor, Ms. Cutean,” many different things can make a person a bully”. Parents are not solely responsible for influencing their children. Therefore parents should not be punished if their children are bullies.