2020 election candidates: celebrities, women and politicians…oh my!

Eve Molly Esleta

Eve Molly Esleta, Journalist

Morton East Students’ opinions vary on possible candidates for 2020 election.

The United States presidential election of 2020, scheduled for Tuesday, November 3, 2020 will be the 59th U.S. presidential election. 538 members of the Electoral College and 270 electoral votes needed to win. The question is, who is running in the 2020 election? Possible candidates include celebrities and of course, politicians. In 1872, Victoria Woodhull became the first female presidential candidate. 144 years later, Hillary Clinton became the first female presidential candidate nominated by a major party, the Democratic Party. In a random survey of 115 Morton East students, 76% of students said they would vote for a woman to become U.S. president. Also 50% of students said they would vote for Oprah Winfrey if she actually runs in the 2020 election.

“I wouldn’t vote for any of the options, I’d favor and vote for a real politician,” sophomore student Destiny Rodriguez said.

Some students didn’t vote for any of the options, they had their opinions on why they wouldn’t want celebrities to run.

“I feel that if celebrities run in the 2020 election, it would be unfair for real politicians because of their careers. Real politicians actually have knowledge in this field and a celebrity running would take it away because of their popularity, not because of their knowledge,” junior student Vincent Roman said.

When asked why a female hasn’t not been president of the U.S., an upper-class student responded.

“Men don’t want women to be in control. Men want to be in control and superior,” senior student Agustin Ayala said.

Students choose one from the three option possible celebrity candidates and express why they chose that person.

“Between the three choices, I’d favor Oprah Winfrey because she is more prepared,” senior student Karla Ochoa said.

As the rumor that Oprah Winfrey is considering to run for president, most students favor her out of the other two celebrity candidates.

“I agree with Karla, Oprah is a people person,” senior student Agustin Ayala said.

As the anticipation of the 2020 election arises, we will all have to wait for who runs against our current U.S. president.

1 Comment

One Response to “2020 election candidates: celebrities, women and politicians…oh my!”

1. Natasha on March 16th, 2018 9:01 am

I believe 2020 elections should be held for those who are truly interested in the people’s rights. If a celebrity is able to show that then they should have the opportunity.