Vegans Versus Vegetarians

Erika Quezada and Natalia Zambrano

Erika Quezada
A grilled chicken salad from McDonald’s this is what a pesco pollo vegetarian would eat since they exclude red meat but they eat chicken, fish and dairy products.

Vegetarians may be on the rise at Morton East but they are still few in comparison to meat eaters.

In a survey of 100 Morton East students, only 3 percent of them said that they were vegetarians. What is the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian? A lot of people wonder about the differences between a vegan and a vegetarian. There’s many different kinds of vegetarians. There’s pesco-pollo vegetarians, lacto-ovo vegetarians, and lacto vegetarians. Pesco pollo avoid red meats, but eat chicken and fish as well as dairy products. Lacto-ovo exclude red meats, fish and poultry, but includes dairy products. Lacto vegetarians eat dairy products but avoid eggs. Vegans also avoid meat, but they take it a step further by avoiding poultry, seafood and as well as eliminating all animal by products from their diet, foods that are produced using animals (eggs, cheese, milk, etc.) or animal products. Some restaurants that serve food for vegetarians are Burger King, Subway, Denny’s, Wendy’s, Domino’s, Taco Bell, Panera Bread, and Red Robin.

Some students say that being a vegetarian makes them feel elated -very happy or overjoyed- about it.

“Ever since I stopped eating red meat, I’ve felt more energetic and good about myself because I know that I’m not eating an innocent animal,” senior Natalia Zambrano said.

But, other students disagree about not eating meat.

“I eat meat because I can, because I refuse to find a protein supplement that will cost me more in the long run,” senior Brian Martinez said.

Another student also agrees with the student.

“I like eating meat because our bodies need a balance of everything,” senior Jackie Duran said.

Another student also knows that a lot of people eat red meat.

“I eat red meat because that’s the kind of environment I grew up in, with meat eaters,” senior Jackie Castro said.

A sibling of Natalia’s also likes to eat red meat.

“I eat it because I like it, I feel fine when I eat meat,” Natalia’s sister Andrea Zambrano said.

1 Comment

One Response to “Vegans Versus Vegetarians”

1. Aileen on May 7th, 2018 8:47 am

I like how everyone is starting to notice how not everyone is the same even when it come to what they eat and sometimes they what to try it. There are not a lot of vegan or vegetarian because alot of people dont even know what their eating is effecting them but it really depends on the person at the end of the day. But if more and more people become vegan, are school going to start to add more option for them at lunch.

[Reply]

Vegans Versus Vegetarians