Retail mirrors lower body image

Perla Vargas
Perla Vargas took a picture in Forever 21, but had bad lighting that she had to use her camera flash to get a nice picture to send it to her friends if she should buy the dress.

Girls at Morton East High School get flustered when trying on outfits at a store; they don’t like what they see in the dressing room–due to the mirror or their body image.  

A person usually starts having a relationship with their body at a very early age and that reflects their body image. According to Brown University, body image is defined by different components of how a person perceives their body visually, how they feel about their physical appearance, their sense of how others view their bodies in physical space, and the level of connectedness to their bodies. They also say that body image is affected both negatively and positively by what people say about their bodies, especially those who are close to the person. It is most affected in the time of trauma (physical or psychological). According to Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia and Vice.com, a Russian journalist had taken selfies in chain clothing stores and concluded that many shops use mirrors that have been manipulated in order to make shoppers look thinner making the reporter of vice.com a bit suspicious. To have a bit more of a perspective, Alba Carreras—the reposter from vice.com—talked to Carles Casas—a specialist in censorial marketing— which said that the main goal of a dressing room mirror is not to make customers buy more but to buy better. He said that the store focuses on the censorial experience within the buying process as a whole, which the changing room is the moment of the process, which can dramatically affect it in a positive or negative way. On this level, the shopper’s experience in the changing room depends on the lighting, the temperature, the volume of the music, or indeed the fragrance in the room. The store may also work to identify all the details that may influence the experience of the shopper and they try to improve it.  

There are a lot of elements to notice in a dressing room, but the element that is most noticed by the girls at Morton East High School is the lighting.  

“The lighting, it could be either so dark or so light that your complexion and your body seems different. Everything you try on seems to be unfit,” senior Sarah Santiago said. 

Another student agrees.  

“The first thing I️ notice in a changing room is the lighting because I️ like taking pictures of me trying on the outfits that I️ am going to buy,” senior Vanessa Perez said.  

And some girls hate changing rooms because of the “two-sided mirror conspiracy theory”—which says people are secretly watching you disrobe. It has been said that if you touch a dressing room mirror and there is no gap between your finger and the mirror, then it means that someone on the other side can see you changing, but of course, if there is a gap then you have nothing to worry about. The girls in the school and as well in the community had different opinions on the “two-sided mirror conspiracy theory.”  

“I️ have never heard about the two-sided dressing room mirror, but since you mentioned it, I️ feel pretty creeped out to know that if I️ touch a mirror and it doesn’t have a gap in between my finger there can be someone on the other side watching me change,” sophomore Cristal Vargas said.  

A local resident finds this unnerving. 

“I️ feel insecure and lied to,” Liliana Ramirez said.  

Some people like trying on the outfits in the store dressing rooms and others like to try them both at home and in the store dressing room.  

“I️ like to try on my outfits in the store dressing room because it is a waste of time to buy the outfit and try them at home. I️ personally don’t have the time to buy an outfit, try it at home, decide that I️ don’t like it on my body and then go back to the store to return it,” sophomore Cristal Vargas said. 

But, others say home viewing is key. 

“I️ like trying on my outfits both at home and in the store dressing room because I️ feel like the lighting in the dressing room makes me look weird and shines right on my flaws that I️ don’t want to pop out.  In the comfort of my home, I️ feel I️ have the most control,” senior Sarah Santiago said.  

1 Comment

One Response to “Retail mirrors lower body image”

1. Kent Frankfother on January 9th, 2018 5:40 pm

Your I’s look like squares on the mobile app….weird!

[Reply]

Retail mirrors lower body image