Netflix users not aware of price hike

Senior Andrea Ruiz watching Stranger Things on the Netflix app.

Yesenia Marquez

Yesenia Marquez

Most students in Morton East have Netflix, but they were not aware that the price was going up for subscriptions.

In a random survey of 103 students, 75% stated that they have Netflix. Before 2017 ends, Netflix subscription prices will be rising. This change is due to new content being added to Netflix. The last time Netflix raised the prices was in October 2015. Netflix has actually been around since 1998, when it started as a DVD-by-mail service. In 2007, the service began streaming online, it still rents DVDs. There is a lot of controversy on the internet surrounding the price increase, however here at Morton most seem to not mind at all.

“I didn’t know the price was going up, but I don’t mind, for my sanity. I need it to keep my kids entertained,” consumer education teacher Mrs. Stefano said.

People seem to enjoy the content and not mind the price hike for multiple reasons, for their entertainment if it has a lot of their favorite shows or movies. However, even some who don’t have a Netflix subscription feel that it’s worth it for the value that you are getting.

“I think it’s reasonable because they’re adding more things, especially if they are recent,” junior Yadira Villavicencio said.

Villavicencio is one of the few teens who don’t watch Netflix; it is very common for most teens to watch it in the many ways you can stream nowadays. It’s available as an app on TV’s, phones and tablets, and many still watch it on computers or on gaming devices. The amount that teens watch Netflix varies greatly, depending on the school activities they are involved in or if they have other responsibilities like working.

“Every time I get home I watch Netflix. I just don’t do my homework, I go straight to my playstation and watch Netflix,” sophomore Jorge Sanchez said.

Unlike Sanchez there are other Netflix subscribers who don’t have the time to be on Netflix because they’re busy. Some may ask, is it worth it to pay for it but not use it as much?

“I use Netflix about two times a week because I work so I don’t have time to go on my phone and finish the shows I have been watching,” senior Omar Meraz said.

There are other Netflix users like Meraz who also don’t have the free time to go on Netflix and enjoy a series.

“Yo empecé a ver Stranger Things porque mis hijas me lo recomendaron pero no he tenido el tiempo de acabar toda la serie. Aunque el precio aumentó no me desharé de él porque quiero acabar de ver Stranger Things,” an anonymous father of a Morton East student said.

8 Responses to “Netflix users not aware of price hike”

1. Celeste Barba on January 8th, 2018 2:30 pm

I wasn’t aware of this issue at all, but I’m glad it was brought to my attention.

2. Lorilyn on January 9th, 2018 1:30 pm

I didn’t know about the increase of the price of it. I personally don’t have Netflix but I wouldn’t mind getting it now, because of everything that will provide us to watch.

3. Luisa Rangel on January 9th, 2018 4:28 pm

I have had a Netflix account for about 6 years and agree with this article. While prices have increased, Netflix has begun adding content at a faster rate than before. Also newer content is becoming available as time goes on. Thank you for the informative article!

4. Misael Alejandre on January 9th, 2018 4:50 pm

I appreciate the fact that my fellow classmates are informing and ensuring that every student here at Morton East High school is well aware of any necessary changes. Great article!

5. Avi on January 9th, 2018 6:02 pm

I totally didn’t know about the price increase. While I love Netflix, they really are only streaming much more of their originals than other shows. They’re good but people are paying for a variety. This might anger some. I’ll still keep using it!

6. Barbara on January 9th, 2018 11:06 pm

I freeload off of my brother’s netflix account, so I don’t personally pay for Netflix. Hopefully he won’t mind the price increase.

7. Fernando on February 6th, 2018 11:00 am

Damn I never knew about the price raise on Netflix I think it’s pretty wrong how Netflix aren’t really letting there users know about the price rise

8. chris garcia on February 6th, 2018 12:13 pm

i wasnt aware of the price increase. but i dont think its a lot they have some pretty decent shows. i dont mind paying the extra money for it.

Netflix users not aware of price hike