Beware stoners: marijuana is lowering your sperm count

In a survey of 100 Morton East male students, 67 percent said that they have smoked marijuana. Out of those smokers 38 of them didn’t know that smoking marijuana lowers your sperm count.

Male pot smokers beware: according to a study done by the University of Sheffield “smoking weed regularly also changes the size and shape of your sperm. Instead of creating healthy sperm, cannabis doubled the risk of your body to produce abnormally shaped sperm and make it challenging to reproduce,” according to USA Today, an average of 29 percent of men ages 18 to 28 who smoke pot more than once a week showed a decrease in sperm count.

“I feel like people don’t really know about these studies, and smoking is going to affect them in the future if they’re  daily marijuana smokers and want to have kids, senior Adrian Tapia said.

Both Tapia and Reyes have a similar opinion about marijuana lowering sperm count.

“I would say as long as you’re single and not planning on having kids anytime soon then go ahead,” senior Haldair Reyes said.

Like Haldair Reyes many smokers are not planning on having kids right now because they are too young to be dads.

Q”Lol Foreal? It’s not like if I’m looking for kids right now. Plus it’s the user’s decision not ours. Let them be,” senior Israel Sanchez

Although many are not planning on having kids at this moment like Israel Sanchez, many still say that it’s a bad idea to smoke.

“I think it’s bad because marijuana affects the body in ways it shouldn’t be acting. Also, lowering the sperm count from the effects of marijuana can  probably have negative effects in the future,”senior Kevin Ramos said.

Kevin Ramos and Robert Nino both are on the same page knowing the consequences could led to guilt.

I would say to guys who want to have babies: worry about that a lot but. But, there are  lot of smokers who don’t even think about having a kid: you’re welcome Also, that’s pretty crazy cause I never knew that,” senior Robert Nino said

Another student was asked a question whether the school does a good job of informing students on the side effects of marijuana.

“Students don’t realize the side effects, they need to understand the side effects of smoking in general. Marijuana, cigarettes, and vaporizer. Kids smoke just to smoke nowadays, and I don’t believe the school does a good (enough) job informing  young students about the drug,   It isn’t a hardcore drug, but it also shouldn’t be abused,” Morton East senior Jesus Perez said.

3 Responses to “Beware stoners: marijuana is lowering your sperm count”

1. Kent Frankfother on January 8th, 2018 1:23 pm

I found your article really interesting — especially the quotes. Hopefully, students now know more about the side effects of smoking marijuana!

[Reply]

2. Breanna Tapia on January 8th, 2018 1:26 pm

It is good that you guys are informing others about this because I’m pretty sure most of us didnt even know.

[Reply]

3. Cynthia Sanchez on January 8th, 2018 1:27 pm

Impressive! A lot of other students should read this.

[Reply]