About half shop on Black Friday

Odalys Soriano and Yseli Tellez

In a random survey of 100 students in Morton East High School, only 55% go Black Friday shopping, and 45% don’t go.  

According to the History Channel, the day after Thanksgiving has been the unofficial beginning of the Christmas season since the late 19th century. President Lincoln designated the Thanksgiving holiday as the last Thursday in November but, It wasn’t called Black Friday then. That’s because of the name that was associated with September 24, 1869. The first recorded use of the term “Black Friday” was applied not to holiday shopping but to financial crisis: specifically, the crash of the U.S. gold market on September 24, 1869. Two notoriously ruthless Wall Street financiers, Jay Gould and Jim Fisk, worked together to buy up as much as they could of the nation’s gold, hoping to drive the price sky-high and sell it for astonishing profits. On that Friday in September, the conspiracy finally unraveled, sending the stock market into free-fall and bankrupting everyone from Wall Street barons to farmers. The true story behind Black Friday, however, is not as sunny as retailers might have you believed. Back in the 1950s, police in the city of Philadelphia used the term to describe the chaos that ensued on the day after Thanksgiving, when hordes of suburban shoppers and tourists flooded into the city in advance of the big Army-Navy football game held on that Saturday every year. 

Some of the students in MEHS say they actually like going Black Friday shopping. 

“I like going black Friday shopping because of the lower prices on many items that I couldn’t afford before I’m able to afford on that one specific day that happens once a year,” senior student Jocelyn Esquivel said.  

Another student thinks the same as well, agreeing that they’re many deals in stores. 

“Black Friday has been openly praised for having great deals and for giving people the opportunity to get some Christmas shopping out of the way,” junior student Leslie Aguilar said. 

Other students take Black Friday shopping very serious for many reasons. 

“They make it an adventure! People plan weeks in advice, clip coupons, and map out game plans, including resting up the day before to have all the energy before the battle begins,” sophomore student Emily Soriano said. 

Although many people like going shopping for sales on Black Friday there are also some people that rather not go anywhere. 

“There’s just too many people! Some people even tackle each other just because of an item them both are fighting for. It’s just too crowded and crazy to be there,” Cicero resident Kimberly Sanchez said. 

Another resident from Cicero agreed also but had a little issue a couple years ago when he went Black Friday shopping for the last time. 

“I decided after my last time going Black Friday shopping that I wouldn’t go anymore. People at target on Ashland where going wild, I actually got hit by a person and decided that this was just ridiculous,” Juan Salgado said.