Stop sexual harassment, speak up

Morton East thinks we should be vocal about sexual harassment.

In a random survey of 120 Morton East students, 92% of students believe that you should be vocal about sexual harassment. One reason why people who’ve been through sexual harassment don’t speak up because 8% of students take it as a joke and don’t see the importance of the topic and disregard the people who are victims. Most of the victims don’t get the justice they deserve because, according to Rainn, 6 out of 1,000 perpetrators will end up in jail. Women are more likely to face sexual assault than males, 9 out of every 10 victims of rape are females and 10% of males have also been raped. Though males do face assault, the numbers might not be correct because women are more spoken about it than males. Since a young age, males are taught to be strong and not vulnerable. Facing sexual harassment makes them more vulnerable than they’re “supposed to be” their man card is being questioned so most stay quiet about it.

“It’s important to speak against sexual harassment because you need to speak out when someone is touching you in a way you don’t want to be touched and you need to speak up for yourself. People that do that are just gross,” sophomore Janeth Terrones said.

Senior Gabriela Varela agrees that it is important to speak out against sexual harassment.

“I feel like it’s a really big problem that no one wants to talk about. They’re probably at least one guy that you know or girl that has been through sexual harassment and they don’t want to speak up because they are afraid that they would be treated differently,” Varela said.

Speaking out will induce a domino-like effect that will give an opportunity for others to open up so they know they’re not alone.

“It’s good for people to speak about a topic so personal, it gives people the confidence to open up about experiences they been through,” sophomore Karla Ramirez said.

Speaking out can help more people speak up and bring more awareness to this sensitive topic that affects a lot of people.

“Yes, it is important to speak out for those that have been through sexual harassment I know people that have been through that and I will like to have others speak up and not judge them about what happened to them”an  anonymous junior student said.

Sexual harassment is an act of bullying, which causes fear within their victims.

“I heard on the radio today and the big news is Charlie Rose and his harassment of women for the past 25 years; his co- anchors are saying that even though they accept him as a journalist they can’t accept his behavior.  No matter what, you have to speak out against sexual harassment in order for women to eventually have equality in the workplace,” journalism teacher Kent Frankfother said.