New iPhone 8 becomes the apple of teenage eyes

Morton East Senior, Pilar Sierra, showcases the new Galaxy s8 (left) and iPhone 8 (right).

The majority of teenagers in the Cicero area are more interested in the new iPhone 8 than the new Galaxy s8. 

70% of the Morton East student body contested to favoring the new iPhone 8 over the new Galaxy s8 in a random survey of 100 students. Just this April, Samsung released its newest edition of the Galaxy, the s8. However, just a few months later in September, Apple released its newest iPhone as well, the 8. With the two rival smartphone companies putting forth their best just before the holiday season, it is awaited that both the Galaxy s8 and iPhone 8 be the best-selling smartphones on the market. Each phone has caught the attention of different demographics, but there is a common preconception that the iPhone 8 has a significant appeal to teenagers, more so than the Galaxy s8. When taking a step back to compare the overall quality of each phone, you’ll find that they aren’t too different, but each has something more to offer than its counterpart. Both phones offer a 12-megapixel rear camera and 4k video recording. However, the iPhone 8 has a 7-megapixel front facing camera while the Galaxy s8 offers 8-megapixels. Yet, the Galaxy s8 only allows for 64gb of internal storage, meanwhile the iPhone 8 allows for 265gb. It is also important to consider that the galaxy s8 permits 20 hours of talk time, 16 hours of video playback, or 14 hours of internet use, and in comparison, the iPhone 8 permits only 14 hours of talk time, 13 hours of video playback, or 12 hours of internet use. With all of said innovative features, and much more to offer, it is understandable why the Galaxy s8 starts from $725 and the iPhone 8 from $699. But what is the real reason behind the teenage interest in the iPhone 8? 

When asked why she planned on purchasing the iPhone 8, sophomore Adriana Arzuaga was brutally honest. 

“Although I hate saying it, iPhones are ‘cooler’ than galaxies, so I’d rather get the new iPhone than the new galaxy for nearly the same price,” Arzuaga said. 

However, not all Apple fans are invested solely for the brand name. 

“iPhones have been the iconic outstanding phone that everyone has their eyes on, Apple continues to do astonishing work for iPhones and you rarely hear or see anything good for Android. I will stay using an iPhone,” senior Pilar Sierra stated. 

And while some Apple fanatics may believe that Android users are at disadvantage, Galaxy s8 owners proudly use their smartphones despite these opinions. 

“I’ve always been a fan of Samsung and Android. People always ask me what phone I have because it looks so sleek and beautiful, and I’m proud to say it’s a galaxy S8,” senior Alyssa Mia Berrios said. 

In other cases, some people have had the chance to see if the grass is really greener on the Apple iPhone side or the Samsung Galaxy side. 

“I always had an iPhone and wanted to try something different. Android is more user friendly because it doesn’t have as much restrictions as the iPhone. I wouldn’t switch [back] to Apple,” senior, and current Galaxy s8 owner, Areli Balbuena admitted. 

Others, like junior Demetrio Bustamante, seemed to agree that the Galaxy is the more user-friendly choice.  

“[The] Samsung Galaxy is more user friendly, I wouldn’t switch to Apple,” Bustamante said.  

Nonetheless, at the end of the day it is important to remember that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and whether the new iPhone 8 is more popular with teenagers based off conformity or comfort we will probably never know for certain. 

3 Responses to “New iPhone 8 becomes the apple of teenage eyes”

1. Crystal on January 8th, 2018 8:52 am

Very good news story! it’s interesting to read students’ different points of view on mobile devices.

[Reply]

2. Brizet Vazquez on January 8th, 2018 8:52 am

I believe the iPhone 8 is better and teenagers prefer it because of the camera quality and i myself would choose the iPhone 8 over the Galaxy.

[Reply]

3. Erika Quezada on January 8th, 2018 2:31 pm

This is a great and informative article because it provides a lot of detailed information about the differences between the iPhone 8 and Samsung Galaxy S8! 🙂

[Reply]