Christmas just isn’t the same

Majority of students see celebrations lessen as they grow older

Odalys Soriano's sister Jaqueline and cousin Brandon open their gifts.

Christmas has changed; at least, that’s how many Morton East students feel as they grow older.

In a random survey of 105 Morton East High School students, only 50% say they celebrate Christmas the same way as when they were younger; 55% say they don’t celebrate it the way they used to. According to History, Christmas is both a sacred religious holiday and a worldwide cultural and commercial phenomenon. For two millennia, people around the world have been observing it with traditions and practices that are both religious and secular in nature. Christians celebrate Christmas Day as the anniversary of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, a spiritual leader whose teachings form the basis of their religion. Popular customs include exchanging gifts, decorating Christmas trees, attending church, sharing meals with family and friends and, of course, waiting for Santa Claus to arrive. December 25–Christmas Day–has been a federal holiday in the United States since 1870. 

A student says how he still celebrates Christmas the same way as he did when he was younger.  

“I still celebrate Christmas Eve and Christmas the same way I always did — even though some of my family are no longer with us. On Christmas Eve my family gets together at my grandmother’s house and everyone brings their own (homemade) dish. We set them on the table, and then say a prayer before eating, holding hands, thanking God for another great Christmas and for giving us food. At midnight, we all start opening our gifts,” senior student Antonio Gomez said. 

Another student also stated it remains the same.

“My family still celebrates the same way (through) all the years. Family gathers up at one of my family members house; it has to be in a family member’s house that’s big, of course, because some of my family comes from different states. We all unite and eat lots of food:  rice, beans, pies, chicken, tamales, mole. By midnight our tree is full of presents and we start opening them; (that’s) the most fun part of all,” sophomore student Alyssa Romero said. 

But, others have noted a change in the celebrations. 

“It’s different celebrating Christmas now because family falls apart. Also, it’s not the same because everyone is on their own and it (feels) dead at times,” senior Andrea Lopez said. 

And, for some, the gifts have overshadowed the holiday’s true meaning.

“Christmas isn’t the same because of the excitement.  I want to make my children believe and know about those nice experiences.  (I want to) tell them about my experiences and memories — making Christmas more about being with the family and Jesus’s birth, and not much about receiving gifts,” dean Ms. Gomez said. 

One student stated how some of the kids in his family are just not even appreciative on Christmas day anymore. 

“Children these days care more about materialistic objects instead of the meaning behind receiving gifts whereas people before appreciated the gifts they received back then,” junior Bryan Herrera said. 

Student Jocelyn Camacho feels the same as students Herrera and Lopez. 

“You just don’t feel together as a family anymore.  (Parents) used to give you many gifts when you were a kid; now, you just have to get that stuff yourself with your own money.   (After the presents are passed out), (many family members) just leave and do their own thing,” junior Camacho said. 

And, the traditions that were treasured have changed too.

“Christmas in my family used to be the same, but it all stopped being the same when my family members had their relationships because they had to go to each other’s family’s house, to a Christmas at different places.  Gifts are opened at different times (now); we (used to) always open them at midnight at exactly Christmas time.  Now, family members open them before they leave so we can see.  Technically, it’s just very complicated,”  Cicero resident Gabriela Ocampo said. 

1 Comment

One Response to “Christmas just isn’t the same”

1. Eve Molly Esleta on January 9th, 2018 4:11 pm

Love learning how other students feel about and celebrate Christmas

Christmas just isn’t the same